Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My concerns about FMU settings w/ the Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 07:13 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope your right Jesse........please keep us posted as to what Aeromotive has to say
Old 09-07-2003, 08:48 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by Chebosto
Sure dude.. go ahead and run 14psi on the VQ stock motor... even with ecu timing retardation and fuel...you can see yourself what "little problem" you'll actually be seeing..
I will never FI my car. I don't need to! Bring down any of your FI cars to a real track (one with turns where you actually have to use the steering wheel) and see why it's the part that sits behind the steering wheel that makes the biggest difference.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:29 PM
IPT

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
I hope your right Jesse........please keep us posted as to what Aeromotive has to say
Jesse Keep us posted on this kind of scary !!!!

I dont' think i will be driving my Z untill I know what is Up with the Aeromotive...

The Z is Garaged untill then

IPT

Parker
Old 09-08-2003, 03:58 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

This was my tuners reply to my question about the FMU settings. Does this sound like it makes sense to all of you who know much more about this than I?

"The dial you are talking about is the gain on the FMU. I prefer to set it to the higer gain because it makes it easier for customers to re-tune after they unpgrade their superchargers or turn up the boost on their turbochargers. If for some reason someones car ran more boost and the FMU wasn't adjusted for higher boost, it would not give the car additional fuel. I think this way is safer for my customers in the long run."
Old 09-08-2003, 04:06 AM
nismor33

Just a stupid question but as part of the install are the shops tuning after the install?

All the mods we have done in the past we typically spend a lot of time on the dyno. Once we feel we are close we also use an Autronic AF meter and tune further on the road.

Thats the other reason I have held off on doing anything to my Z, I dont think there is a decent enough plug in replacement yet for our ECU. Hopefully Apexi release a PowerFC or something as I cant say I want to splice into the wiring loom. This device you guys are showing is freaking me out!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:37 AM
350_Z

I'm coming over from the Honda world, but basically FI is the same. I ran a Jackson Racing Supercharger at 6psi on my Prelude for over a year. My question to many of the ATI guys, is why aren't you getting the car tuned. I drove my car straight from the install shop to the dyno. I got it tuned right away and even then I wasn't happy with the A/F at certain rpm points so I turned to a Hondata Standalone and 440cc injectors to solve my problems. After getting it tuned again and making 230whp and 190wtq and a pefect 12.0:1 to 12.5:1 A/f ratio, I didn't have to touch it again. If you can afford to pay $4k for a supercharger setup then you can afford to pay a coupld hundred to get it tuned properly.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:16 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

I don't think anybody plans on not tuning their car, although some of us(like me) have had to wait until a tuner with a dyno and wideband O2 was available.

That explaination from your tuner about the gain sounds silly to me DrBonz.....the settings should be specific for what the car has on it right now, not for what it might have in the future
Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 AM
jesseenglish

That doesn't make any sense to me either Bonz. A customer shouldn't tune their own car without a wideband O2 anyways.

That would be like saying, I'm gonna go buy a wheelchair in case I break my leg sometime.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:40 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

I just spoke to Aeromotive.......they told me that the FMU scale should be set to whatever the unit calibrates to........so essentially the numbers next to the scale setting don't really mean squat.......perhaps Aeromotive should revise their manual and remove the statement that says the scale setting should equal the maximum boost level, thats a just a little deceiving

I think it should be noted as Jesse said earlier, that this thing should be tuned slightly rich........i couldn't agree more with this......since the FMU and the stock ECM don't really talk to each other, setting the FMU on the fat side will add the extra fuel needed just in case for some reason the stock ECM decides to go a little lean
Old 09-08-2003, 08:48 AM
jesseenglish

That's kinda funny EJ, I called the tech and he said he just got off the phone with somebody asking the same questions about at 350Z, must have been you.

He gave me basically the same information, but we also agreed to an email exchange of information. I've asked him a bunch of questions regarding the FMU and he will reply with a written response fully explaining any irregularities, proper setup, tuning and calibration of the system.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:32 AM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by raceboy
I will never FI my car. I don't need to! Bring down any of your FI cars to a real track (one with turns where you actually have to use the steering wheel) and see why it's the part that sits behind the steering wheel that makes the biggest difference.
Hmmm, a little cocky aren't we? I do agree though....the driver is the most important part of the formula for turning fast times on a roadcourse. I'd take you up on that challenge, but I tend to use my race cars on the track rather than my FI daily driver
Old 09-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Jedi

Lightbulb Idea

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
[B......... have had to wait until a tuner with a dyno and wideband O2 was available. [/B]
Dude, didn't Motorsports Dynamics have that capability at their shop?

Wow, all these problems makes me glad you guys are the Beta testers. Save me money and headaches down the road. I just hope the G35 is fairly similiar. Maybe you guys could call Grubbs Infiniti, as they have ATI Procharged G35 Coupe WITHOUT any problems tro date as far as I know. They seem like great guys, give them a call,
Old 09-08-2003, 12:08 PM
CSHFLW

You guys are only seeing 5.8PSI on a 7 PSI kit????

WTF is up with that!?!?

Thats what I would be mad about.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:20 PM
whosdady

I used to see 7PSI, but I think I just blew a i/c connection so the boost is down
Old 09-08-2003, 12:26 PM
ravaz

I always saw 7 PSI near redline, not sure why others are seeing 5.8 only, maybe it's their gauges?
Old 09-08-2003, 12:35 PM
GaryK

I think the boost pressure will depend somewhat on the conditions. I have now seen a peak of 6.6 psi on mine. Or maybe I wasn't running it as close to redline as I thought before.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:41 PM
jesseenglish

I was seeing low boost pressures because of a vacuum leak caused by my laziness during the installation. Didn't feel like driving down the autoparts store to buy some loctite as recommended in the installation manual. It's fixed now though. I'm waiting on my Wideband O2 setup to tune it before I drive my car again.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:41 PM
mcduck

The company ATI has a lot to loss by just sitting and watching our motors blow up. Thry have got enginers. If I were them, I would have flown one down to investigate each problem car. In the long run, they would fix the problems, get our respect, and increase sales.

Something is wrong. Cars like the JIC car have something like 5K on it with no problem yet others blow at 300 miles.
Like zland, I now have more reservations about this kit. At first, it was just the jet like sound... which I probably could have lived with... with all the problems posted recently, I am in a "wait and see" mode and definitely leaning toward the TT kits on the horizon. If ATI doesn't want to lose potential buyers, they better jump in soon with some words of wisdom.

That said, my parts vendor had a direct connection with JIC... who apparently did development work on the Procharger for the Z... that, at least, would offer me a little more comfort if I purchased one.

On another note, does anyone think the weak link might be the injectors here? Maybe the FMU is doing the job, but the stock injectors can't handle the increased fuel flow. Has anyone done an injector upgrade with the ATI? or is everyone just running stock on those?
Old 09-08-2003, 12:42 PM
jesseenglish

Whosdady, if you blew an IC connection, I'd go through and double check to make sure all of your hose clamps are super tight and that your bypass valve is not stuck in the closed position.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:11 PM
nismor33

Mcduck, as long as the guys are tuning and the car is not leaning out there is no issue with injector duty cycle.

Again my concern is this FMU unit.

I am just watching as in Australia we dont have any of these kits. I think the ProCharger looks good but I think the FMU solution is a little backyard !

Again I am waiting for someone with a tried and tested product to release a decent ECU, APEXi, HKZ, Autronic or someone.....This way we can easily tune, monitor injector duty cycle, spark and more with a wide range of tuning points.

If you some of you guys live close by, put in together and get an Autronic AF Meter. That way you can stick the O2 sensor in the exhaust and then make sure everything is OK. It would be cheap for you in US$

Mike