Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Experiences returning blower to vortech for rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
CaneZMD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiences returning blower to vortech for rebuild

I'm just wondering if my experience has been the same as everyone elses.

My blower has been blowing oil mist for 3.5 years now. I was one of the first people on this forum to put a vortech on. (with sungnam, right after booger) Honestly, from day one, it blew a light oil mist out the bpv onto the sway bar, fmu, etc. I never thought it was a problem because it always made good boost; until I removed the pipes 3 weeks ago and found oil coating my entire intake tract.

I called Mariano and he said, "dude, if you can find the receipt after all this time, I'll cover it under warranty." So I called Carlos (Mariano was busy) later that week and got an RA number to send it in.

They got it a week ago last thursday. No one has ever called me, they finally told me today (after I called them) that it needs a minor service including the oil seals. They said it wouldn't be under warranty as it's 3.5 years old. I told them it's blown oil since day one, they said too bad, but that I could wait and talk to Mariano. But he's out today, so I have to wait until tomorrow; and they only work monday through thursday. I asked if they could just get working on it and if they won't cover it I'll just pay for it, but they said they can't do that.

You would think a shop that takes 6 days just to get an estimate would work more than 4 days a week. Has anyone else had experience returning a blower to vortech? With shipping, it ends up being a one month turnaround time. That sucks, and they're not even nice about it. It really makes me want to get rid of the Vortech altogether.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
10-E-C-350Z

Sorry to hear about your troubles...If you decide to get rid of your vortech, let me know as I might be interested.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Car vs. Driver

LOL @ the vulture
Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
10-E-C-350Z

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
LOL @ the vulture

Just trying to catch a deal. I even offered sympathy, what more could you ask for?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM
track1z

I guess you know whats coming so I won't say its YOUR FAULT waiting so long but understand where your coming from/I do it all the time.BE polite and try to get a deal
Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
350Z400rwhp

Get it back and have the 928 Mototsports upgraded impeller installed.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Get it back and have the 928 Mototsports upgraded impeller installed.

+1

i got that impeller for sale if youre interested, brand new
Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Car vs. Driver

Originally Posted by Chris @ Migliore
+1

i got that impeller for sale if youre interested, brand new
ORLY? PM price please
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ you should buy that and the bearing upgrade and post better than T trim #'s. THat would be sweet!

No one has used that impeller on a normal setup, so it would be awesome to make 20-30 hp more.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Word is that 928 Motorsports is going to start rebuilding Vortech also. I am most likely going to take my blower off this weekend and send it there. They've been building Powerdynes for a number of years (both gear driven and belt driven ones) and those are more tricky to build than a Vortech.

I'm hopping that they come out with an upgrade package of bearings and impeller.

OP- Sorry to hear about you experience.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^^ you should buy that and the bearing upgrade and post better than T trim #'s. THat would be sweet!

No one has used that impeller on a normal setup, so it would be awesome to make 20-30 hp more.
I'm not normal....

I will be pushing it to close to 60,000rpms this summer on my freshly built block so hopefully I can get there!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Car vs. Driver

Originally Posted by str8dum1

Tempting ... it's a really good price. Resources are tight though, I'm afraid to spend more money until the economy starts turning around

If I did do that upgrade, I'd certainly add meth into the mix and probably put down a good 400 (or more) on Dave's dyno. I'd be happy with that.

So, I'm still looking at a good $2500 or so for all the work and retune.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vortech makes Blower kits for many cars . Im sure they have quit a few coming in all the time to get rebuilt . Ever time I sent mine in it took close to a month .It sucks waiting but thats the name of the game .
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Barzten1

I miss SungNamZ. He moved to Costa Rica and had to sell the Z. He was always there for me when I had issues (twice at 3am) and the reason I went FI.

I sent the blower back to Vortech 3 times and I got it back in less than 10 days. I always overnighted it there though.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 PM
350Z400rwhp

Not to hijack this thread again about the 928 Motorsports Impeller Upgrade but does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to upgrade to this? I assume you would have to buy new bearings and send it to 928 Motorsports, so what do you guys think that would cost? I've heard that thing makes a lot more bottom end power and I have always wanted to do the supercharger/wastegate option they sell in conjunction with a 2.63 pulley or something. Damn if you could spin a Vortech to 60K you could make some serious midrange power and blow off the excess say anything more than 10psi with the wastegate on a stock block. I know this has been talked about before but the limitation has always been the stock Vortech impeller and bearings. I'm planning on going to the 2.87 pulley this spring and go with that until the supercharger blows. I bought my Vortech off Nexx and he was running the 2.87 with his rev limit raised (I won't be doing that though lol) and was hitting 13 psi but with about 15,000 miles on this head unit (10,000 from him and 5,000 so far from me) it still seems fine. I say this as I'm knocking wood of course.

Last edited by 350Z400rwhp; 02-23-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Sorry to hear OP, but you ran 3 1/2 year without any issue? I would really think about upgrade impeller...

Edit: Shoot just notice that my new avator is very similar with quamen...lol
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

takes all of 2 minutes to swap the impeller. thats why vortech puts that nice black marker line on the impeller and bolt, to void your warranty if its touched. Thats why you might as well doing the rebuild with new bearings/seals as well bc you are on your own from there. http://www.superchargerrebuilds.com/?page_id=6. Better yet if someone could get the bearing sizes, you could source ceramics for maybe 2/3 of that price of the standard ABEC7's and save a couple hundred bucks in the process!

The more I log, the more I am starting to think that the V series blowers have too small a volute into too small of piping to support high CFMs and keep the AITs low enough to keep the 20hp/psi ratio at higher boost.

And the logs I extrapolated show that you'd need a a tiny pulley (2.62 or smaller) to really give you a noticeable increase in the area under the curve at midrange rpms (2-4500)

so someone buy the 928m and put it on a standard V series setup and test it out!

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Not to hijack this thread again about the 928 Motorsports Impeller Upgrade but does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to upgrade to this? I assume you would have to buy new bearings and send it to 928 Motorsports, so what do you guys think that would cost? I've heard that thing makes a lot more bottom end power and I have always wanted to do the supercharger/wastegate option they sell in conjunction with a 2.63 pulley or something. Damn if you could spin a Vortech to 60K you could make some serious midrange power and blow off the excess say anything more than 10psi with the wastegate on a stock block. I know this has been talked about before but the limitation has always been the stock Vortech impeller and bearings. I'm planning on going to the 2.87 pulley this spring and go with that until the supercharger blows. I bought my Vortech off Nexx and he was running the 2.87 with his rev limit raised (I won't be doing that though lol) and was hitting 13 psi but with about 15,000 miles on this head unit (10,000 from him and 5,000 so far from me) it still seems fine. I say this as I'm knocking wood of course.

Last edited by str8dum1; 02-24-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
tylerxfire

well this started out as a little bit of a vortech rant, havent had the luxury of having to return a blower yet, so what do u guys think will happen..should have done a poll...ok i bought my kit january 26th from grubbs infiniti, they are a vendor, they didn't actually ship it out for about 4 days, then when i got it i realized i was missing the filter and a cog belt,thought that was all, so i called them and they sent me the parts, so i just installed the kit and everyhthing was good, but started thinking i should have had warranty papers or something right..so i call grubbs get the invoice sent, and vortech to get warranty papers sent out on february 26th it just so happens which is a month from purchase date, just received them today saturday the 28th, and filled everything out, have to send the warranty papers back with the invoice grubbs sent me, so its saturday and i wont be able to send them back out till monday and they prolly wont get them till about wednesday the 4th, that means i am over the 30 day turnaround time to mail back in, but i never received the papers with my kit or an actual invoice that i need to use so i had to wait for these things to be mailed to me and stuff and didn't even get my kit for about a week and was worried about the missing parts after the purchase date of the 26th..kinda worried they are gonna be dicks for some stupid reason over a few days.. whats everyones guess
Old 02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
well this started out as a little bit of a vortech rant, havent had the luxury of having to return a blower yet, so what do u guys think will happen..should have done a poll...ok i bought my kit january 26th from grubbs infiniti, they are a vendor, they didn't actually ship it out for about 4 days, then when i got it i realized i was missing the filter and a cog belt,thought that was all, so i called them and they sent me the parts, so i just installed the kit and everyhthing was good, but started thinking i should have had warranty papers or something right..so i call grubbs get the invoice sent, and vortech to get warranty papers sent out on february 26th it just so happens which is a month from purchase date, just received them today saturday the 28th, and filled everything out, have to send the warranty papers back with the invoice grubbs sent me, so its saturday and i wont be able to send them back out till monday and they prolly wont get them till about wednesday the 4th, that means i am over the 30 day turnaround time to mail back in, but i never received the papers with my kit or an actual invoice that i need to use so i had to wait for these things to be mailed to me and stuff and didn't even get my kit for about a week and was worried about the missing parts after the purchase date of the 26th..kinda worried they are gonna be dicks for some stupid reason over a few days.. whats everyones guess
My guess is you over worry because you read all the bad stuff on forums. There are laws in place to help consumers.

What this thread is about, is a consumer waiting 3.5 years to get something serviced that needed servicing. He needs to wait for the guy that promised him something to get back, and is being impatient. People don't work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

Everyone is jumping in to make statements when none need to be made, this post isn't really even needed as he has no proof that he is being charged for anything. Even if he is going to be charged, wouldn't you want something in writing before making arrangements for repair? I'd think it would be written on the RA notes that it is for warranty service if thats what it was supposed to be.

Burn the company down and bad mouth it because the person has a day off!

These people aren't VRT or SGP, this is Vortech.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:35 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by UpRev
My guess is you over worry because you read all the bad stuff on forums. There are laws in place to help consumers.

What this thread is about, is a consumer waiting 3.5 years to get something serviced that needed servicing. He needs to wait for the guy that promised him something to get back, and is being impatient. People don't work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

Everyone is jumping in to make statements when none need to be made, this post isn't really even needed as he has no proof that he is being charged for anything. Even if he is going to be charged, wouldn't you want something in writing before making arrangements for repair? I'd think it would be written on the RA notes that it is for warranty service if thats what it was supposed to be.

Burn the company down and bad mouth it because the person has a day off!

These people aren't VRT or SGP, this is Vortech.

curious to know what laws that would be

i don't think anyone is burning down vortech with comments here at all...i think it sucks on how long the turn-around time is but something everyone has to deal with and thats all thats really been said about them, and there are numerous things on here about the unhelpful customer service they have, but honestly everytime ive called they have been great, its all judgement and who u get at the time u call i guess....also uprev i have tried e-mailing on ur site and still no response to any of my questions

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-28-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Experiences returning blower to vortech for rebuild