Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Xendric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chef-J
^ damm really sorry to hear that, why don't you call vortech or company that you bought it from??

Edit: it looks like wrong parts to me too...
I tried that and spoke with a CS representative (Carlos). The guy that my dealer usually speaks with (John) has been out of the office for a couple of days, so Carlos replaces him.
Given I'm Greek and my English isn't very good, I believe I can explain stuff better in an email with the help of pics as well, rather that on the phone.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
350Z400rwhp

Man I would have them send you a new kit and just send everything you have back to them. This figuring out what is what should not be your problem, its on them for sending the wrong kit in the first place. Do you have anything in writing showing what kit you ordered in the first place?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i would def. send it all back as much as thats a pain in the ***, get ur money back and order from a vendor on here paulgt2 usually has good deals on vortech...i got mine from grubbs infiniti...and just try all over again..and make sure they know what car u have and etc...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Xendric

Yes, that's why I gave them a dealine until Monday to rectify this, or I'm sending them everything back.
The vendor I bought from is a well respected one on this forum, and to my understanding, he has very little responsibility, if at all, for this mess up.

I trust Vortech is a big, responsible and dependable company that will step up to this situation, because aftermarket accessories is not Hollywood - negative publicity is bad.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Youll end up sending it back... Flipping the pulley would prob end up in more problems..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
jamie805

Actually guys the problem started when the kit was ordered incorrectly. Somewhere between the car owner and dealer and Vortech distributor the part number that was ordered didn't get transferred correctly to our sales guys. After that the confusion of which parts to use began.. but after spending a little time looking at his pics and trying to determine which parts were being used we figured it out today. And yes some of you are right, the correct thing to do would have been to return the kit and get the correct one so that all this mess could have been avoided. But anyway glad that he's on his way to a fun drive...

Jamie - Vortech
Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Xendric

After speaking with Jamie and Carlos on the phone a few times, we believe we have identified the problem. Weird as it may seem, the SC cog pulley must be flipped around compared to a non-revup setup, and it's a different pulley too. I haven't tried this yet, but I will tomorrow and will update this thread. If it's my fault for mismatching parts from the two kits I received, I will stand up and admit it. I'm not here to ruin anyone's reputation without good reason.

One thing I'm sure I have no responsibility over is the kit I ordered. I have logs with the dealer that prove I ordered the right kit. I even have logs of PMs with people selling used revup kits, before I ordered a new one. I'm not sure where along the line soemthing got messed up, but I know for sure it wasn't on my end.

Anyways, here's hoping that everything will clear up tomorrow!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^glad to hear that.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Xendric

UPDATE:

It appears the way a revup kit will work is as suggested by Jamie@Vortech and described in my previous post: Flip the SC pulley around. It doesn't seem natural, but the alignment seems to work and the belt stretches as much as it should.

I haven't really tested it yet, I just replaced the pulleys as advised and tried the belt on. We didn't even screw the parts together yet, just held them by hand to see if it'll work. I have a new appointment for Thursday now to put everything on. Hopefully there won't be any more trouble.

Now, does anyone know how you check the oil on a v3 blower? The manual mentions a dipstick, but I haven't seen any on the blower so far...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 AM
jamie805

well im glad were gettin some where Xen......one of the two plugs on top of the blower is a dip stick.. just unscrew it and pull it out. it has hash marks on it. you want your oil level to be somewhere in the middle of those hash marks. Make sure you replace the vent plug that came with the unit or it could cause a leaking problem with the unit. The vent plug has tiny hole in the center of it and would have came in sealed bag attached to the supercharger.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Xendric

Thanks Jamie
I'll check for it on Thursday
Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
05Z33

So it was just a matter of flipping that pulley after all. I'm glad to see you'll be up and running soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 03-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Xendric

UPDATE:
It appears the kit has bolted on nicely. Yes, it was only a matter of putting the right pulley on (we weren't told that we had to replace the SC pulley with the one they sent us the second time) and flipping it around compared to the non-revup kit.

Everything is on now, but larger injectors and Haltech need some tuning to let the car start. This is probably gonna happen today, in order to get the car out of the shop, until thrusday for the full tuning on the dyno.

Will let you know.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Xendric

So, I had the car for the tune today, more problems I'm afraid.
We can't build enough boost. Started off at 1.45psi at 2,000 rpms and got to 4.6psi at 7,000 rpms... The revup pulleys should be making 9lbs or so at redline

First thing I was advised to do and read on this forum was to make sure the belts are tightened. Well, the serp belt is as tight as it'll go. No squeal at all and you can't press it down more than a couple mm. The cog belt is also as tight as it'll go.
I read somewhere that boost/rpm graph should be a straight line. If there is a curve, the belt is slipping. Now, I don't have a graph, but from what I can tell by the boost I'm getting throught the rpm band, it seems pretty linear.

After doing some research here, I noticed I'm not the only one that has experienced this. The most common cause for this has been either boost leak in the piping and defective BPVs.
I'm having the engine pressurized tomorrow, to check for leaks. But given that it's a brand new kit and we checked all the rings, I don't think we'll find a leak.
The mechanic made sure the intake plenum bolts are tightened too, since we had to remove it to install bigger injectors.

So, how do I check if the BPV is defective. While on the dyno, I couldn't hear a leak when the tuner was on WOT - only the SC whine. Is there a fool-proof way to make sure the BPV is working properly. I also made sure there were 6 threads showing on the BPV vacuum valve, as suggested in other posts here.

I talked to Vortech, they were pretty sure my belt is slipping, but it's not. I was asked about elevation where I live, but it's only 800ft from sea level. Temperature was at 8 oC today too.
Was also asked if I have any breathing mods, but my car is all stock, apart from an Apexi y-pipe back exhaust.

The car made around 325whp at that boost, which is much lower than it should - I was expecting 360-380 on my revup.

Anyone got an idea what's causing this?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Xendric

Forgot to mention, since I was sent the wrong kit at first, I double checked with Jamie@Vortech that I have the right pulley combination. That is, 32T cog pulley on the SC, 34T cog pulley on the jackshaft, 3.12" serp pulley. So, the SC should be spinned at the right speed.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
tylerxfire

knew this wasn't over...cog belt doesn;'t need to be extremely tight, but thats not causing ur problem, if the boost looks linear, then it shouldn't be belt slip. seems like u would see that in the graph...i say boost leak somewhere maybe..idk..good luck, u have had nothing but problems so far...i get tuned in 2 weeks, hopefully i have no problems..
Old 03-12-2009, 12:27 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

325 at 5PSI sounds about right. But it shouldn't be at 5PSI. If the BPV was leaking, there should be audible sounds. I would recheck all piping to make sure everything is snug and tight. Hrm, check to make sure the serp belt is routed correctly?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Any check engine light on?
Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Xendric

Check engine light came on on the road to the tuning shop, after we set up the Haltech just enough to get the car going. Never ran the engine above 2k rpm during that trip (about 6miles trip), and according to my tuner it was because we took out the air flow sensor

Never came on after the tune.