Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech V3 Supercharger - Dipstick Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Fleet Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech V3 Supercharger - Dipstick Warning

For those of you planning to purchase and/or install a Vortech V3 supercharger (self-contained lubricating system), a word of warning....

Once the supercharger is mounted and installed on the engine, it is impossible to remove the supercharger dipstick to check the fluid level. I tried for better than an hour to manipulate the dipstick, and without bending it, there isn't enough clearance between the housing and body bracket supporting the driver side headlight assembly.

I would recommend bench checking before installation to avoid heartache.

I removed the headlight and I'm deciding whether or not to use a hole saw to drill the support bracket to gain access to the dipstick....More news to come...Wish me luck!

PS....IMO,Vortech kits leave a lot to be desired. Pipe clearances are outrageously tight (piping from intercooler discharge to throttle body), the single intercooler support bracket is a joke (For $5000, how about another one on the driver side?!) and the 8' long drive belt/pulley set-up could be much better designed (I adjusted five times before eliminating the squeal). It is almost like Vortech designs the kit around one of their off-the-shelf superchargers rather than for a specific car. My $0.02 worth....

Last edited by Fleet Z; 03-19-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Xendric

Couldn't agree more!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:06 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Time to downgrade to v2 blower...
Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i can check my oil level just fine. the 350z must just be much smaller than the g35. pipe clearances are way loose. ever try to fit a 3" pipe in there, let alone the 2.5" stuff vortech uses.

honestly your complaints sound like a mechanic newbie as the vortech is the easiest of all FI installs.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Netacoma2003

The plastic yellow handle of my dipstick was partially devoured by the cog belt that mounts on the firewall side of the charger bracket
Old 03-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i can check my oil level just fine. the 350z must just be much smaller than the g35. pipe clearances are way loose. ever try to fit a 3" pipe in there, let alone the 2.5" stuff vortech uses.

honestly your complaints sound like a mechanic newbie as the vortech is the easiest of all FI installs.
+1
Sounds like you not happy with vortech, you should have look other member's install pictures at first place..
I bet most of any FI kits on market will have hard time to put on Z.

I also have a problem have takin out dipstick, but not a biggie to me tho. I'm more worry about drain the oil in future. And intercooler, i drove my car about 50~70 milies, no issue. ( no drill )

chefj
Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Just bend them differently so it doesnt go towards the blower.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Fleet Z

Originally Posted by str8dum1

I absolutely love this forum when comments are taken to a personal level....Some folks just like putting other people down...FYI....Regarding your "newbie" comment.....I've been working on custom and race cars for 25+ years.....I am far from being a "newbie" at this stuff. My comments were directed at the quality of design of the Vortech kit, not the difficulty of the installation. For $5000, I think piping should have adequate clearance, not millimeters (I would like to know how many 350Z Vortech owners have rubbed through the AC line on the compressor or had to replace the silicone coupler coming in contact with the jack shaft bolt). A single bracket bolted to one end of an intercooler isn't something I consider superior design. A 8' long drive belt is a dumb when a twin pulley design with shorter belts could have easily be done.

Last edited by Fleet Z; 03-19-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Fleet Z

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered
Just bend them differently so it doesnt go towards the blower.
"Just bend them" comment makes absolutely no sense. The dipstick is a rigid, straight piece of aluminum stick about an 1/8" in diameter. Once you bend it, there is no way to insert and screw back into the supercharger.

For anyone on the forum from Vortech.....Here's an idea.....Make the dipstick out of spring steel like the dipstick in an engine. The flexibility would allow for the dipstick to be bent while removing/installing. Problem solved.....
Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Sorry, your first post made it sound like you meant the factory dipstick on the Z.

Even a couple people commented on the same thing.

Looks like you might have to pull the blower to check the levels. If it isnt leaking then i wouldnt worry about the level. Then just change it when they recommend.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Fleet Z

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered
Sorry, your first post made it sound like you meant the factory dipstick on the Z.

Even a couple people commented on the same thing.

Looks like you might have to pull the blower to check the levels. If it isnt leaking then i wouldnt worry about the level. Then just change it when they recommend.
Sorry about that...Just edited the original post. I could see the confusion if read quickly. Someone could think that I'm referring to the engine dipstick.

Checking the fluid level would require pulling the supercharger assembly with the current set-up....PITA....I'm going to try to drill a hole in the headlight/fender support bracket to gain access and also do a little grinding. I really don't want to remove the blower everytime it needs an oil change.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
terps

ive never used or seen these used but it would be worth a shot if everytime u gotta pull the blower to check oil, esp considering the vq's burning oil

http://www.intellistick.com/home.php
Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
nd2spd

Originally Posted by Fleet Z
"Just bend them" comment makes absolutely no sense. The dipstick is a rigid, straight piece of aluminum stick about an 1/8" in diameter. Once you bend it, there is no way to insert and screw back into the supercharger.

For anyone on the forum from Vortech.....Here's an idea.....Make the dipstick out of spring steel like the dipstick in an engine. The flexibility would allow for the dipstick to be bent while removing/installing. Problem solved.....
Yeah, it is a pain in the A$$ but I was able to do it. You should write Vortech about your idea. Never know, they may take it into consideration.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:23 PM
MacJames350z

Sorry about that...Just edited the original post. I could see the confusion if read quickly. Someone could think that I'm referring to the engine dipstick.

Checking the fluid level would require pulling the supercharger assembly with the current set-up....PITA....I'm going to try to drill a hole in the headlight/fender support bracket to gain access and also do a little grinding. I really don't want to remove the blower everytime it needs an oil change.
Hey man,
so what you said originally was spot on! Have you figured this out? How the hell do I check the oil. I am also wondering how were you able to change the oil I cant even see the drain tube.
Thank in advance!
James,
Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 PM
MacJames350z

Also here is the location of my V3. On the right corner of the engine bay. (Installed by Vortech)
Old 06-27-2017, 03:28 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,060 Likes on 6,523 Posts

might be waiting a bit for an answer

Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 443 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
might be waiting a bit for an answer

He'll come through.