Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Who's knocking....Oh nevermind that is my motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WELCOME TO THE I SPUN A BEARING AND MY MOTOR IS F***ED CLUB -

If you did spin the bearing then stop driving NOW, before you ventilate the block. When you changed the oil did you notice pieces of copper in the oil or was the oil milky and grey? That is what mine looked like when it died.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
chopperman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't changed the oil yet. Probakly on wed I will start taking it apart further. When I took out the plugs they all appered to be in great shape. Does that mean that the piston is not hitting the head? If it isn't thenthat will be great.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
thom000001

If its a bearing, the plugs won't tell you anything.

you need to pull the oil pan off and inspect....if it is a bearing it will be pretty apparent which one it is once you pull the pan. You will probably also have some larger copper/metal flakes in the pan.

tom

Originally Posted by chopperman
I haven't changed the oil yet. Probakly on wed I will start taking it apart further. When I took out the plugs they all appered to be in great shape. Does that mean that the piston is not hitting the head? If it isn't thenthat will be great.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Look in my build thread over the last few pages and you will see what the oil pan looked like. Hopefully the filter caught the pieces and the rest of the motoris undamaged .
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,078 Likes on 970 Posts

Having the oil analyzed would help. IMHO, it would be cheaper to stop driving the car now vs letting the rod go and punch a hole in the block.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
chopperman

I haven't drove it since it happened. I just picked up a beater for $300 so I'm driving that. With the beater at least I actually feel confident about the motor and I'm not always listening to every damn noise.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the piston hit the head, to car would no longer run, thats ulta catastrophic.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
WELCOME TO THE I SPUN A BEARING AND MY MOTOR IS F***ED CLUB -

If you did spin the bearing then stop driving NOW, before you ventilate the block. When you changed the oil did you notice pieces of copper in the oil or was the oil milky and grey? That is what mine looked like when it died.
Based on what I learned from your experience....by the time you've got rod knock everything is toast. Start shopping for a new long block.....
Old 04-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Based on what I learned from your experience....by the time you've got rod knock everything is toast. Start shopping for a new long block.....
yeeeeep. new block time! there's are guy in the classifieds selling a newly built long block on the cheap.... err not cheap but cheaper then originally purchased. might want to check it out.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 PM
chopperman

I don't have the funds for a complete built longblock. Oh well I guess I'm going to go stock block.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have the funds for a complete built longblock. Oh well I guess I'm going to go stock block.
stock block + 8psi with a good tune and you should be aiight.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So assumming you haven't really look at your car yet..

Hope it isn't biggie deal man.

chefj
Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock block is plenty fun just be real careful with your tune to watch the timing, AFR's and boost so you don't blow it. The built block gives you alot more forgiveness. If you're running utec or stock ECU get the ECU reflashed to remove the timing advance map.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
chopperman

I haven't had time to pull the pan yet. I plan on pulling the motor to
Orrow. It does sound like a spun bearing. I will be taking it down to an engine builder over here. What should be done to ensure that the block and everything is safe. I'm guessing the engine builder should know. What will have to be replaced when the block gets reassembled? I talking about gaskets,bolts etc... I'm trying to decide if it would be better to just rebuild or buy a new block.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
thom000001

I'm not sure what you are starting with but

if already on a built motor you may be able to re-use a lot.

All bearing should be replaced (better to replace as a set and mic them all so you know tolerances)

you may be able to get away with just replacing the one rod if you are really lucky.

Basically the engine builder will know what to do, and will be able to answer all the questions once the teardown is done. To many may or maynots till you see whats actually done.

tom

I haven't had time to pull the pan yet. I plan on pulling the motor to
Orrow. It does sound like a spun bearing. I will be taking it down to an engine builder over here. What should be done to ensure that the block and everything is safe. I'm guessing the engine builder should know. What will have to be replaced when the block gets reassembled? I talking about gaskets,bolts etc... I'm trying to decide if it would be better to just rebuild or buy a new block.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Keep us posted...
Old 04-18-2009, 08:00 PM
chopperman

I pulled the pan today and found a bunch of copper peices in there. So I am guessing that is actually a bearing? I have pics but my internet is being crappy right now. I am in the process of pulling the motor. I have a full long block right now for $1000 that someone is willing to sell to me locally so I just might swap everything into there depending how bad it is.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

I pulled the pan today and found a bunch of copper peices in there. So I am guessing that is actually a bearing? I have pics but my internet is being crappy right now. I am in the process of pulling the motor. I have a full long block right now for $1000 that someone is willing to sell to me locally so I just might swap everything into there depending how bad it is.
Look at the last few pages in my thread, I have a real good pic of the pan with bearing all through it. It looks like I've been prospecting for gold. I only hope the the pieces did not ruin the entire motor like it did mine. Best of luck in the teardown brother, this may get a bit painful
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what up? anything you find out?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:07 AM
chopperman

Pictures. Good thing that there is a screen on the oil pickup. There was a bunch of stuff stuck to it. It only means that something had to get through tho.

Quick Reply: Who's knocking....Oh nevermind that is my motor