Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Need opinions re SC purchase:

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 AM
mazymus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need opinions re SC purchase:

OK, what would you guys do:

I can get the brand new V3 (w/ 3 year warranty) w/ wideband / boost / temp gauges all installed, tuned, and out the door for about $7200

Or I can get somewhat used HKS GTM stage 3 with ECU reflash and osiris installed, tuned, and out the door ~ $8000. ~1000 more for boost and wideband gauges installed in center console.

Last edited by mazymus; 04-14-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 AM
tylerxfire

vortech no questions asked, but honestly it is a very easy install and u could save urself some money if u are mechanically inclined..i have pics of my build if u click on my username along with some other members..where r u located?

also v3 is self lubricated and an even easier install id say, but 7200 complete and tuned isn't too bad really including all the parts..and a better choice than the hks imo..not to mention new is always a better choice
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Mr_pharmD

if u were thinking about getting an used HKS then why not get an used vortech?

Here's the break down:
Vortech unit - 3000
Wideband - 200
Boost/temp gauges - ranges from 50 to 200 each (depending on brands)
install - 1000
tune - 600-1000

Total cost at most 5600
Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
mazymus

well, i wanted to get a v3, and the only way to get it is new. i think v3 should be as safe as used hks, heard great things about the reliability / safey of HKS's..

plus it seems that HKS gets better lower RPM torque.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 AM
tylerxfire

the whole low end torque thing just isn't there with the stock 3.33 pulley as the pulley drops torque rises and comes in earlier...
v3 is a safe bet for sure, but really there are great deals out there...i got my vortech brand new off g35driver from a a vendor who had it sitting on there display shelf for few years due to somebody ordering from them locally and not paying or something..so i got my brand new vortech v2 complete kit with warranty for 2600 shipped, aem uego brand new off here with cubby pod for 200 shipped i beleive, my exhaust vendor on here 750 shipped, berk high flows vendor here for 380 shipped, md spacer dont remembe 150 maybe 200?..installed myself, tuned ss box 495 by JT..
new kit gets the warranty which is always nice to have..

heres a sheet to just look at if u havent seen it of a vortech dyno sheet..i dont have a problem with my torque now and this is just a complete vortech kit with 3.12 pulley still on stock injectors and everything..
Attached Thumbnails Need opinions re SC purchase:-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by tylerxfire; 04-14-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Mr_pharmD

if u are set on those 2 options, u have to ask yourself if u plan to upgrade the car even more later on or are u happy with staying at 350-390whp. The HKS will be at it's MAX but the vortech still has the option to push it for +400 whp with smaller pulleys and bigger units.

If u are planning to hit +400whp then the HKS is not the way to go and it will cost more in the long run to replace and start over again.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
if u are set on those 2 options, u have to ask yourself if u plan to upgrade the car even more later on or are u happy with staying at 350-390whp. The HKS will be at it's MAX but the vortech still has the option to push it for +400 whp with smaller pulleys and bigger units.

If u are planning to hit +400whp then the HKS is not the way to go and it will cost more in the long run to replace and start over again.

exactly
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
mazymus

i plan to be on stock motor for a couple of years w/ a supercharger that will give me the most torque at the earliest RPM.

then I'll either sell the car, or keep it and upgrade the engine, and go all out on TT and track the car at that point.

Till then, I'm looking for a fun street legal FI car that will give me the most feel of a Turbo (ie, greatest or earliest torque).

I'm afraid of the V2 systems due to their history and the fact that they can send metal shavings down to my engine. .. I might be over-analyzing it, but I need to have my car 100% next two year (well, as stable as I can possibly get it on FI
Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by mazymus
i plan to be on stock motor for a couple of years w/ a supercharger that will give me the most torque at the earliest RPM.

then I'll either sell the car, or keep it and upgrade the engine, and go all out on TT and track the car at that point.

Till then, I'm looking for a fun street legal FI car that will give me the most feel of a Turbo (ie, greatest or earliest torque).

I'm afraid of the V2 systems due to their history and the fact that they can send metal shavings down to my engine. .. I might be over-analyzing it, but I need to have my car 100% next two year (well, as stable as I can possibly get it on FI

there is nothing to be worried about with a v2, there was a bad batch that had bad bearings which would not send metal shavings into the motor, i beleive u are referring to if the propeller was hitting and grinding down or something, which is unlikely..def. looking too much into it..i DD my v2 along with many others, and love the power just the simple 3.12 pulley gave without changing anything else..
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
tylerxfire

i make 300ft. lbs. to the wheels at 3900 rpm with just the 3.12 which is a pretty safe setup and safe for stock block and it peaks pretty nice also..
Old 04-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Mr_pharmD

It seems like u already made up your mind on getting the HKS. THe Op seems more interested about racing street lite to street light instead of quarter mile performances.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 04-14-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe you should try and track down some Vortech and HKS SC owners in California, since there are a decent number around here since they are both CARB legal kits (per se) for California...that you way you can make your final judgement on sound and performance with a butt dyno...

What part of California are you in?

That way you can make a side-by-side comparison of the 2 kits and post your review on the forum...
Old 04-14-2009, 03:01 PM
mazymus

Unhappy

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
i make 300ft. lbs. to the wheels at 3900 rpm with just the 3.12 which is a pretty safe setup and safe for stock block and it peaks pretty nice also..
did you have to retune it after putting the 3.12 pulley?

i'm assuming you got the complete kit.

lastly, i have a 3" single pipe exhaust. would it better to have a x config 2.25 dual exhaust instead? or keep the single 3"?? the shop was saying w/ the X config 2.25", I'll be getter better low end torque.

i still haven't made up my mind and am on the fence about it.

my 3rd deal:

i can get a new V3 (or V2) w/ 3 gauges installed (fuel pressure, boost, wideband), custom X config 2.25 dual exhaust, and set of 6 month old HKS coil overs for 9k out the door.

what do you think about this last deal?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 PM
mazymus

Originally Posted by 350z006
Maybe you should try and track down some Vortech and HKS SC owners in California, since there are a decent number around here since they are both CARB legal kits (per se) for California...that you way you can make your final judgement on sound and performance with a butt dyno...

What part of California are you in?

That way you can make a side-by-side comparison of the 2 kits and post your review on the forum...
i live in san diego.

they drove me in a mustang they just installed the vortech and it was pretty amazing. granted mustang is a v8 and already pretty strong, but it felt damn fast / powerful.

agreed re comparing, not sure who has what, it'll take a while.
honestly, if hks and vortech are close enough, then i'm ok w/ vortech. if the lower RPM torque is THAT much different, then i'm also ok paying the extra to get that. but I have to decide very fast since the seller on the HKS says others buyers also interested..

please see also my 3rd offer in above post

Last edited by mazymus; 04-14-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM
tylerxfire

did you have to retune it after putting the 3.12 pulley?

i'm assuming you got the complete kit.

lastly, i have a 3" single pipe exhaust. would it better to have a x config 2.25 dual exhaust instead? or keep the single 3"?? the shop was saying w/ the X config 2.25", I'll be getter better low end torque.

i still haven't made up my mind and am on the fence about it.

my 3rd deal:

i can get a new V3 (or V2) w/ 3 gauges installed (fuel pressure, boost, wideband), custom X config 2.25 dual exhaust, and set of 6 month old HKS coil overs for 9k out the door.

what do you think about this last deal?

yeah any kit u get u should retune even if u stay stock pulley or stock boost on either kit...all i did was put the complete v2 vortech kit on with the 3.12 and had the ss box retuned...

there is not gonna be a difference in the feeling of torque..imo the vortech is gonna outperform in every way with the 3.12 pulley low, mid and top end ...it really wakes the kit up and is a easy mod to do with the kit..and like was stated before, the stillen kit u will not get anywhere around 400whp where as the vortech can surpass it and has much more potential
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is, i will choose HKS for sure.

chefj
Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 PM
mazymus

Originally Posted by Chef-J
If it is, i will choose HKS for sure.

chefj
ah man, and this is coming from a vortech guy... do you have 3.12 pulley or the 3.33? are you having issues w/ your vortech? thanks man
Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Mr_pharmD

This thread is getting pointless... the OP needs to decide on the type of whp goal and driveability he wants to obtain from the supercharger. There will always be pros/cons about each setup and until he tells us what he expects to gain with FI, there is no soln.

If u do a little searching, u would dig up this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...non-revup.html where he made 38Xwhp on a DD so I doubt he has any issues or complaints with his vortech. I believe he was giving his opinion about choosing HKS if u were NOT going to keep the car or have any plans on upgrading the sc.

The search button is your friend and u should look up the different types of sc out there and then pick the best option that suits your driving habits.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 AM
mazymus

Thanks for the link. I've honestly been reading about 4-5 hours worth of threads each day for the past week and am trying to get as much info as possible. I must have glossed over that one.

I agree about deciding. I know its not the big money build of a TT, it is still 10k and I wanted to make the right decision. I'm starting to gather that either choices is good and I will get a even more fun car at the end Thank you and others for all your suggestions, they've been very very helpful
Old 04-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah man, and this is coming from a vortech guy... do you have 3.12 pulley or the 3.33? are you having issues w/ your vortech? thanks man
3.12 pulley
No issue.

chefj

Quick Reply: Need opinions re SC purchase: