Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

another FI clutch option: Spec Super twin disc

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
+1, i want driving my Z to be fun again.. the FX400 really pisses me off. holds gobs of power but its not daily driving friendly at all.
Hmmm.... I thought they didn't hold that much for power. I will have to do some research and maybe I will get lucky and not have to replace my clutch come June.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
Hmmm.... I thought they didn't hold that much for power. I will have to do some research and maybe I will get lucky and not have to replace my clutch come June.
sharif has had it up to 550whp on his dyno dynamics with no slip. its starts failing after that. im guessing its good up to 600whp on a dynojet.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 AM
marra23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clutch still holding up, any complaints?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

funny I didn't come across this thread before. Troubles me to see people having issues with this clutch. it would be a GREAT option for people. Twin disc, holds high HP, and just over a grand!

My experience with a spec clutch:
I had a spec 2+ and had issues with it. Don't know what the cause was, but the clutch was not holding properly. It seems the pressure plate was putting out uneven clamping pressure. Exactly half of the flywheel had hot spots while the other half had normal wear. Clutch disc sdid seem to be wearing properly. The setup was replaced under warranty.

I then ran it for about 5K miles till it began to slip when I upped the boost/power. clutch began to slip @ 14 psi (~500 on a dynapak). {APS twins, 8.8:1 CR}

Now with that said, my buddy is running his spec 2+ @ over 500 (15 psi on same dyno) on the same type of build with no signs of slip. I also had a local run the same spec an an APS single and it was great

I upgraded to a the ATS twin disc. Don't know the street price now, but it was just under 2 grand. It has been great thus far. At 2 grand it seemed like a bargain compared to the exedy offerings some recommend.

Seem to be getting long winded, but back to the point at hand -> I ended up with a $2K clutch, that I felt like I got a bargain on..... this spec offering would be a phenominal deal at $1100, if it delivered per its rating/spec

Would love to hear some more reviews from those running it
Old 07-15-2009, 06:21 AM
tig488

its a flip of a coin what you will get from spec, there are several people including myself that have had problems with spec clutches, they also dont have a good rep when it comes to customer service. be careful guys.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mine does great when driving. Its very notchy goin from neutral to 1st . I have to go from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st with the clutch in before it will finally engage. I have to call spec and see what they think about that.

It came with a much larger throwout bearing, but I'm wondering if it shoulda been bigger.

I had adjust the pedal engagement height some as well.

I'll be pulling it out when i do my motor swap and can check the flywheel then.

Its great once you are rolling, but coming from a stop is a huge PITA bc it wont just slip into gear.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 AM
marra23

Originally Posted by str8dum1
mine does great when driving. Its very notchy goin from neutral to 1st . I have to go from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st with the clutch in before it will finally engage. I have to call spec and see what they think about that.

It came with a much larger throwout bearing, but I'm wondering if it shoulda been bigger.

I had adjust the pedal engagement height some as well.

I'll be pulling it out when i do my motor swap and can check the flywheel then.

Its great once you are rolling, but coming from a stop is a huge PITA bc it wont just slip into gear.
Damn, not what i wanted to hear. Problem is being from Africa their good customer service won't be of much help out here....shipping cost and all.
Just no mula for OZ and ATS right now.....f*** mates, for tha money i can get my self a spot at the sea in Moz.
This f/i is killing me.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 AM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SPEC twin disc

Any updates on this clutch.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 PM
ccchaorule

i also have this clutch and i am having lots of issues with it. At low RPMS the car is chattering like crazy.. when i engage in first gear it always make a loud chattering sound.. sounds horrible.. like a dumptruck.. also sometimes when im in gear it is really hard to shift out of gear.. seems like the short shifter is getting stuck or something... i reinstalled the short shifter and it still seems to do that.. i think something is definately wrong with this clutch.. its been on my car for about 20k miles.. i didnt realize anyproblems until 15k+ miles. now it just seems like crap.. my car is vortech supercharged and am going twin turbo in the next couple of months.. i think i am going to have to get rid of this clutch soon...
Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
str8dum1

all lightweight flywheels chatter. Thats normal.

I called Spec the other day. Tech was helpful. I have a very hard time getting into 1st and reverse. I'm going to check my throwout bearing as the issue I am having would lend itself to that. We did the install on our backs under the car, so something might have slipped during the install.

The motor is out of the car now and on a stand so I can guarntee it wil go back in correctly. Hopefully it all works out.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 PM
XKR

Best of luck
Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not wanting to go into first or reverse sounds to me like an issue with disengagement... it sounds like this clutch needs more throw of the release bearing then it gets... you could adjust the peddle like crazy to press the plate further for more disengagement, but then you risk losing engagement pressure and torque rating when the peddle is up not to mention release bearing and thrust washer wear if the peddle adjustment at highest position was still pressurizing the system. i wonder if you could rebuild the clutch master cylinder and upgrade the size a tad to get more push into the slave cylinder with the same peddle throw?

i wouldnt mind doing that anyway, i may not need it with my clutch, but if i could get full disengagement with less peddle travel i would be very happy, i could put a peddle stop under the clutch then... would be ideal for all the powershifting.

Last edited by phunk; 11-04-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 PM
JR350z08

any new updates?... i'm about to put a spec twin in mine
Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JR350z08
any new updates?... i'm about to put a spec twin in mine
Have you read the thread? Why would you go down this path of likely trouble when there are other proven products on the market?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:22 PM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Reccomendations

Hey Hal...... George here. So is there anything besides the Carbonetic triple that you like. I'm going to try the CC stage 4 but heard it was knda a "Rev and hang on" action.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^George, the ats/carbonetic is a good all-around clutch that maintains nice street manners. For more power and/or drag racing, I would look into a tilton, though they are pricier and more difficult to street drive. RPS appears to have a decent product, but they have expressed little/no interest in our market so I would not advise that unit at this time.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:14 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

OS GIKEN clutches are the best IMHO and great prices too.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ya 500 miles of city driving.

i cant hear anything over my exhaust, so i dont know.
ricer
Old 02-13-2010, 10:47 AM
JR350z08

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Have you read the thread? Why would you go down this path of likely trouble when there are other proven products on the market?
Read the thread... yes... since thats why I asked if there any more updated in put...

As for likely trouble? another reason why I asked for an update.

but what would you suggest to put in my Z?... 08 HR...
Old 03-15-2010, 10:10 AM
str8dum1

just an update. So all my previous problems of hard engagement were due to a weak slave cylinder. The thing is spot on now. very streetable. hopefully it holds its rated trq

Quick Reply: another FI clutch option: Spec Super twin disc