Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

JAPTRIX For SAA3

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Glex25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish you luck Jetpilot
I have read all your hardships with the car and hope this year that will be a thing of the past

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Get 'em JET!!!
Looking forward to possibly hitting the new track up here in the NorthEast. Thunder Hill I believe is the name. Heard some good things about it already by my motorcycle buddies. Gotta get on board with the track time. The roads are too unsafe and littered with Police for cars with anything above 400 rwhp.
I need my license for my livelihood.

Good thing you don't need a drivers license to fly. LOL
You mean thunderbolt Racetrack in Millville, NJ?

If it is I was there last year at the Redline Time Attack Event.
I was ill prepared for the track but still came away with a podium finish.
I took 3rd place.
The track definitely impressed me and was invited by the Porsche club to go run with them when I get my car back on the road.

There are some videos recorded by other drivers on youtube from it.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Lawy'dU

Can't wait to see your time attack results. You should come out west to the TA on the 5/29
Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st week wrap up!.... Car is still sitting there and hasn't been touched.

Hmmmmmm.... starting to look like every other garage.

We will see what comes Monday. Japtrix is asking me for 1/2 the money for labor up front. Is this normal? I don't think I have ever paid 1/2 the labor up front. Parts I can understand. But labor? Anyone heard of this?

Last edited by JETPILOT; 05-02-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
Can't wait to see your time attack results. You should come out west to the TA on the 5/29
I won't have the money to go out west and the car won't be ready by then. I still have to get it out on the track and work the bugs out.

Thanks for all the good wishes.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
1st week wrap up!.... Car is still sitting there and hasn't been touched.

Hmmmmmm.... starting to look like every other garage.

We will see what comes Monday. Japtrix is asking me for 1/2 the money for labor up front. Is this normal? I don't think I have ever paid 1/2 the labor up front. Parts I can understand. But labor? Anyone heard of this?
Uh, no....that is just weird. They must not trust you to pay, yet you trust them...interesting paradox you have there

Last edited by UMW350Z; 05-02-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats weird.. Why wouldnt they ask for it ($$) before/when you dropped it off.. Not normal for labor IMO..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 05-02-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 PM
ToastZ

Japtrix is asking me for 1/2 the money for labor up front. Is this normal? I don't think I have ever paid 1/2 the labor up front. Parts I can understand. But labor? Anyone heard of this?
What are you having done ? Maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToastZ
What are you having done ? Maybe that has something to do with it.
Tune/install FCON
Old 05-02-2009, 07:30 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
Uh, no....that is just weird. They must not trust you to pay, yet you trust them...interesting paradox you have there
The first I heard of this was today (Sat). The car was dropped off Mondfay. They put together a labor estimate for me and asked for 1/2 up front. I was suprised and asked if this was normal and John said it was policy for all customers. I am weary of this because if work isn't up to par I have no leverage. I have never been asked for labor costs up front before.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Thats weird.. Why wouldnt they ask for it ($$) before/when you dropped it off.. Not normal for labor IMO..
The car was dropped off by tow truck. I wasn't there. I don't live near the shop.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:32 PM
JETPILOT

There was a list of labor that added up to $2500. I am having them do other work as well.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:21 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

The first I heard of this was today (Sat). The car was dropped off Mondfay. They put together a labor estimate for me and asked for 1/2 up front. I was suprised and asked if this was normal and John said it was policy for all customers. I am weary of this because if work isn't up to par I have no leverage. I have never been asked for labor costs up front before.
I typically give them a 50% deposit on labor and pay for the parts up front. I have never had any problems. It did seem a little strange to me at first, but after I got to know Roger and heard about some of the things that customers have tried to do over the years (remember he's been in business for 15 years). I'll suffice it to say that this policy keeps things operating smoother (e.g., someone who has already paid for the parts and 1/2 of the labor is less likely to have trouble coming up with the money when it comes time to pick up the car.) Remember, this isn't a simple lube and tune and if he gets a few cars completed but that aren't picked up because the customer is scrambling to get the money, he now has to worry about storing those cars while he has more cars coming in. Eventually they could run out of room.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

The labor will definitely be up to par. Nate does very good work and is very meticulous. They had the car on the lift on Thursday. Perhaps they wanted to inspect everything before working up your the estimate. If you have any questions or concerns, you speak with Roger.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
sublimemoment

When do u think you will get it to the track for the first time? Video? Good luck!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I typically give them a 50% deposit on labor and pay for the parts up front. I have never had any problems. It did seem a little strange to me at first, but after I got to know Roger and heard about some of the things that customers have tried to do over the years (remember he's been in business for 15 years). I'll suffice it to say that this policy keeps things operating smoother (e.g., someone who has already paid for the parts and 1/2 of the labor is less likely to have trouble coming up with the money when it comes time to pick up the car.) Remember, this isn't a simple lube and tune and if he gets a few cars completed but that aren't picked up because the customer is scrambling to get the money, he now has to worry about storing those cars while he has more cars coming in. Eventually they could run out of room.
I have worked with 4 different shops with my Z. CP Racing, Forged Performance, AAM, and The Performance Factory. No one has ever asked for a deposit. Every shop I have ever been to has had a policy that states "Cars left over 5 days (or whatever) will be charged storage fees". I think that's a much more fair policy. I really don't share Rogers interest in him operating his business smoothly. I have my interests in mind.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by sublimemoment
When do u think you will get it to the track for the first time? Video? Good luck!!!
I will show up at Palm Beach International Raceay the first Tuesday night after I have the car back. Then I have Sebring on June 13th. I have been waiting to use my new HD video camera and car window mount I got back at Christmas time.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:37 AM
XKR

I have worked with 4 different shops with my Z. CP Racing, Forged Performance, AAM, and The Performance Factory. No one has ever asked for a deposit. Every shop I have ever been to has had a policy that states "Cars left over 5 days (or whatever) will be charged storage fees". I think that's a much more fair policy. I really don't share Rogers interest in him operating his business smoothly. I have my interests in mind.
I have never heard that before.....I usually pay on the day I pick the car up for everything

Dont get me wrong....I am not saying anything is wrong with that policy.....its just not what I am use to.

Last edited by XKR; 05-03-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 AM
ToastZ

Jet, these questions should have been asked by you and answered by the shop way in advance of shipping your car to them.

Rule #1 in dealing with any shop is to make sure that everything is written down in a statement of work and completely understood before shipping or dropping off your car, especially if the customer and shop have never done business with each other before.

Have the shop put all the information that is needed to understand the labor, parts, payment schedules and also any outside work to be done (like a body shop) right there on the sales invoice. The sales invoice is an easy place for holding everything. Works great and leaves nothing to be confused about. Don't ship or drop off the car unless you have a copy of this document in advance and you and the shop owner shake on it, understand and agree to live by it. Everything else builds upon this initial understanding and trust.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Please call Roger on Monday. If this is a concern for you, I am confident that you guys can work something out. Roger is very, very reasonable and he strives hard to keep customers satisfied. For instance, he was there with me Wednesday night until after 8:00 helping me laying out everything I am selling to take pictures, etc. John shipped out my tripple pump hangar to Chris, and then packed up my clutch to send it to GTM to be balance with the motor...

I think you will be very, very satisfied when you pick up the car. Do you inspection there, and if ANYTHING is a concern, let Roger know right then and there and he WILL address it.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-03-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Ghost_shift

Jet, I warned you about these guys before you took your car there. I hope everything turns out great, but dont hesitate to remove yourself from that place if you are not comfortable about what they do. I gave you a couple of stories that happened in the past. Its your money, and you have the right to be picky.

Personally, I would reaserch more before you do anything. I know your trying to meet deadlines, but dont make a decision you will regret in the future.

Quick Reply: JAPTRIX For SAA3