Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

FI or bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Everybodywildou
If anybody has a lead on a nice bike for a great price PM me please.
it doesn't work like that.. you need to take the MSF Course to see where your skill level is before you decide to purchase a motorcycle..

here read this thread.. or i'm going to be repeating myself

https://my350z.com/forum/motorcycles...00-vs-gsx.html
Old 05-03-2009, 05:12 PM
dhwang80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought a k4 gsxr-600.
there is nothing quite like the exhilaration on a bike. there's a sense of brotherhood you don't get with cars. After a rainy spring season, just drive out on that one sunny, clear day. People are dying to get their bikes out and ride. When we see each other....give the two finger salute to the ground....

then there's the twisty road fun. if I had to choose to ride the dragon with the Z or the bike: bike hands down.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Everybodywildou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug
it doesn't work like that.. you need to take the MSF Course to see where your skill level is before you decide to purchase a motorcycle..

Thanks Doug. I guess I should give you some background on my experience level I have thus far. I have my riding license. I ride dirt for fun and have rode around on my friends 2006 600rr for pretty short periods on many occasions (30 min sessions) at a time for about a year now.

I got used to riding his 600 but definitely not to its full potential. I guess I should have specified that I'm looking for a 600cc bike. Nothing more nothing less. Most likely an 03-04 CBR or GSX-R.

As far the riding course goes, I'll be leaving for the AirForce the end of June. My brother who is in the service told me there are riding courses you can take within. So I'll definitely be taking advantage of that.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 PM
dhwang80

i'd look at the 2004-2005 gsxrs.
nice improvement over the Fuel injected 2002-2003
Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM
doug

Thanks Doug. I guess I should give you some background on my experience level I have thus far. I have my riding license. I ride dirt for fun and have rode around on my friends 2006 600rr for pretty short periods on many occasions (30 min sessions) at a time for about a year now.

I got used to riding his 600 but definitely not to its full potential. I guess I should have specified that I'm looking for a 600cc bike. Nothing more nothing less. Most likely an 03-04 CBR or GSX-R.

As far the riding course goes, I'll be leaving for the AirForce the end of June. My brother who is in the service told me there are riding courses you can take within. So I'll definitely be taking advantage of that.

well since you have experience.. i would suggest something that feels comfortable to you.. go to bike dealers and sit on a few bikes.. because trust me.. the wrong bike can be a Pain in the As$ literally.. especially on long rides.. they are pretty much all the same performance wise.. the difference will be the rider.. so the best thing to do is fine one that fits you right.. unless you're a brand ***** like myself.. i won't buy anything but suzuki.. no matter how uncomfortable it gets.. LOL
Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by dhwang80
i'd look at the 2004-2005 gsxrs.
nice improvement over the Fuel injected 2002-2003
Actually I totally meant to say that I would like a 03+ CBR and 04+ GSXR. I would consider an 03+ r6 as well.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Everybodywildou

well since you have experience.. i would suggest something that feels comfortable to you.. go to bike dealers and sit on a few bikes.. because trust me.. the wrong bike can be a Pain in the As$ literally.. especially on long rides.. they are pretty much all the same performance wise.. the difference will be the rider.. so the best thing to do is fine one that fits you right.. unless you're a brand ***** like myself.. i won't buy anything but suzuki.. no matter how uncomfortable it gets.. LOL
LOL if I had my way I'd have a Triumph 675. I love those bikes. But yeah I'm not really picky especially since I don't have much to spend at all. But it did take a while for my wrists to get used to riding that CBR.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:52 PM
tylerxfire

i rode and raced dirtbikes my whole life growing up, i had the general idea of how to ride and road a few roadbikes growing up including my uncles cbr 600 and my dads harley, everyone who buys a bike knows what they are in the market for before taking some course to see what there riding ability is...i rode my r6 for a summer and realized i needed something bigger,and got my 750, that was my first and second road bike, the only way to get experience is to go out and ride, and like i said if u are gonna buy a bike basically u know what u are going to buy and a course is prolly not gonna change that..the course is a good idea to get experience if someone is not familiar on how to ride and for people who are beginners at riding but it is not 100% needed...i have never been down on a bike and i rode hard which is not the smartest thing but it was my choice and rode for basically 3 years that way and no accidents or anything to date..u have to have a fear and not push it too far and know your limits and you will get better and better with more riding and experiencing it for yourself
Old 05-03-2009, 05:54 PM
tylerxfire

fuel injected is def. a plus...and i love the new gsxr's, i do recommend with your experience a r6, gsxr 600, or cbr 600 depending on what u like...i find the honda's to be very uncomfortable!!! hard *** seats and the way it sits...i do like the yamaha's alot and the suzuki's and not really a fan of the kawi's, but really everyones gonna have there own preference
Old 05-03-2009, 05:58 PM
doug

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
i rode and raced dirtbikes my whole life growing up, i had the general idea of how to ride and road a few roadbikes growing up including my uncles cbr 600 and my dads harley, everyone who buys a bike knows what they are in the market for before taking some course to see what there riding ability is...i rode my r6 for a summer and realized i needed something bigger,and got my 750, that was my first and second road bike, the only way to get experience is to go out and ride, and like i said if u are gonna buy a bike basically u know what u are going to buy and a course is prolly not gonna change that..the course is a good idea to get experience if someone is not familiar on how to ride and for people who are beginners at riding but it is not 100% needed...i have never been down on a bike and i rode hard which is not the smartest thing but it was my choice and rode for basically 3 years that way and no accidents or anything to date..u have to have a fear and not push it too far and know your limits and you will get better and better with more riding and experiencing it for yourself
this is where i'm going to disagree with you.. i've road as fast as the rest of them.. cornered with the best of them.. but nothing on the street could prepare me for one event like the course did.. that event? NYC Puerto Rican Day Parade... man oh man.. the amount of traffic.. the ability to manuever a bike at slow speeds.. the course trained me for that.. the course really excels with slow speed and braking.. thats where you learn big time.. being a motorcycle owner living in NYC.. you should know what i'm talking about.. I hear guys on bike forums talk junk about how great they are on their litre bikes.. and you look at their location and they are in the midwest.. or FL ... i say anyone who can ride in Manhattan traffic is a great rider
Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
zBear

Both have their Pros and Cons:

From a power/weight vs costs perspective, you can't beat a bike. Street motorcycles nowadays are nothing more than race bikes with headlights and turn signals. They are best bang for the buck if all you want to do is go fast.

2003 Yamaha R1 150hp/385lb -> 2.56hp/lb ~ $5000
2008 Yamaha R1 180hp/390lb -> 2.16hp/lb ~ $9000
2007 Suzuki GSXR600 129hp/355lb -> 2.75hp/lb ~ $6000

2003-2006 Nissan 350Z DE FI Stock Block 400hp/3300lb -> 8.2hp/lb ~ $3000+
2007-2008 Nissan 350Z HR FI Stock Block 500hp/3300lb -> 6.6hp/lb ~ $10000+

DE or HR engine to match power to weight ratio of a 1000c bike.
1000hp/3300lb 3.3hp/lb ~ $30000+

But here are some Cons to a bike:
1. Can't carry much stuff.
2. You get wet if you ride in the rain.
3. You have to put gear on to go riding.
4. You freeze your *** off in the cold.
5. You can't carry the family dog on the handlebars like in Asia.

You'll get more practical use out of a FI'd 350Z, but you'll get more of a rush by getting a bike.

Another thing:

On a bike, you are wrapped around the bike.
In a car, the car is wrapped around you.

So if that tree doesn't move when you hit it, you probably have better odds walking away in the FI'd 350Z.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:25 PM
doug

Originally Posted by zBear

But here are some Cons to a bike:
1. Can't carry much stuff.
2. You get wet if you ride in the rain.
3. You have to put gear on to go riding.
4. You freeze your *** off in the cold.
5. You can't carry the family dog on the handlebars like in Asia.

You'll get more practical use out of a FI'd 350Z, but you'll get more of a rush by getting a bike.
1. Same could be said for buying a Trailblazer SS over a TT 350z..
2. I've rode in the rain many times.. its no big deal.. and if you're worried about it don't ride in the rain
3. Nothing wrong with that
4. You can buy electronic vests and pants for that
5. LOL.. the whole point of a motorcycle is so you can be free.. let loose.. enjoy the time.. who cars about the family or the dog?

Another thing:

So if that tree doesn't move when you hit it, you probably have better odds walking away in the FI'd 350Z.
you could also hit a wall on a bike and fly off the bike and get some scrapes.. you hit a wall with an FI'd Z you're more than likely not flying over the wall.. Jason Williams formerly of Duke and the Chicago Bulls hit a tree with his R6.. he is still alive to talk about it.. not many people hit tree's with their cars and still talk about it
Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 PM
tylerxfire

this is where i'm going to disagree with you.. i've road as fast as the rest of them.. cornered with the best of them.. but nothing on the street could prepare me for one event like the course did.. that event? NYC Puerto Rican Day Parade... man oh man.. the amount of traffic.. the ability to manuever a bike at slow speeds.. the course trained me for that.. the course really excels with slow speed and braking.. thats where you learn big time.. being a motorcycle owner living in NYC.. you should know what i'm talking about.. I hear guys on bike forums talk junk about how great they are on their litre bikes.. and you look at their location and they are in the midwest.. or FL ... i say anyone who can ride in Manhattan traffic is a great rider

i agree it will help theres no doubt about that, im just saying i dont think the course should decide which bike u wanna ride...u should know that going in..i dont see someone going in with the intention of getting a r1 going to a harley, but i do see them maybe saying yeah i should go with a 600..so i agree there..and yeah riding in city is a whole different ball game...u always gotta be on the lookout for whats ahead though wherever u ride and be ready to adapt to a sticky situation...theres times to push it and times to know better
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
doug

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
i agree it will help theres no doubt about that, im just saying i dont think the course should decide which bike u wanna ride...u should know that going in..i dont see someone going in with the intention of getting a r1 going to a harley, but i do see them maybe saying yeah i should go with a 600..so i agree there..and yeah riding in city is a whole different ball game...u always gotta be on the lookout for whats ahead though wherever u ride and be ready to adapt to a sticky situation...theres times to push it and times to know better
yeah when i suggested the course for deciding factor on bike.. i didn't mean harley vs sportbike.. but more 250cc/500cc/600cc(non SS) as a bike to start on
Old 05-04-2009, 04:08 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A bike and FI are two different things.. you can't comparing the two.. if you ride a motorcycle for the sport.. the experience is totally different.. when me and my buddies go on rides.. we will do 500 to 600 miles a weekend.. just seeing the sights.. going from state to state enjoying ourselves.. its a whole different experience.. we don't ride our bikes to go fast.. we ride our bikes for the experience.. and FI speed can't compare to motorcycle speed.. the motorcycle is a whole different rush
+1 I dont have a rocket on 2 wheels like Doug, I went the "safe" route, did the MSF, bought a good first bike. Mod'd it some, read two riding books and Im leaning the $lut over to a c*nts hair of the edge of the tire. Leaning INTO corners is much cooler than having body roll away from them.

I dont particularly like the highway cruising or speeding on 2 wheels, its boring. My car scares me MUCH more, the bike is more rewarding in the twisties.

With that being said, here is what I chose....

Miles on Car with new cams, motor, ems, tune and more power since May = 2200

Miles on motorcycle since June-including a long trip to Clemson, SC and riding EVERYWHERE even into 30 degree temps in winter = 8500+ miles

The bike is dead reliable, and knock on wood I havent kissed pavement yet.

OT but just wanna add, SS bike owners with chicken strips are uber ghey
Old 05-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing:

The way I see it, if Im messing around Im dead regardless, so it goes like this:

On the bike, you fly into the metal and objects around you

In the car, the metal (car) flys into you

OP-I wouldnt sell the FI to ride

When your finanacially ready look to spend $$$ on a bike and at least $1000 or so for good gear.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by Alberto
The way I see it, if Im messing around Im dead regardless, so it goes like this:

On the bike, you fly into the metal and objects around you

In the car, the metal (car) flys into you

OP-I wouldnt sell the FI to ride

When your finanacially ready look to spend $$$ on a bike and at least $1000 or so for good gear.
Yeah I figured I would such. I actually purchased all my gear except for pants. I took full advantage of my cost for gear at my job. I got the gear now because I won't be there much longer. I might be leaving for the AF sooner than I thought so I might just purchase a bike when I get back. Which in that case I should have enough money to get a bike I'll be happy with.

Dainese Newsan Pelle Jacket
Dainese Torq In Boots
Dainese Hellfire Gloves
Dainese Back Protector
Dainese U-turn Shoes
Shoei RF-1000 helmet

Thats all the gear I have for now.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

In regards to the safety concerns I want to thank you all. Though I'm sure I will be getting a bike. I'm just curious how many of you have either sold your FI kit to get a bike or sold your bike to get an FI kit.

I'm looking more for responses towards that area of topic.

I bought both. Can't imagine selling one to get the other. I would imagine most people would sell their bike and spend the money to go fast in their cage, though.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
god350z

why not get both F/I and a bike?
You can get a used bike 3-4k...
pay it off and go F/I
Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by god350z
why not get both F/I and a bike?
You can get a used bike 3-4k...
pay it off and go F/I
Well I already have a vortech kit that makes 378hp on a dyno dynamic. It's not crazy power and its already kinda boring to me. I was debating on selling the kit to get a bike. I guess I'll keep it. If I sell anyting it will probably be the car altogether.

Quick Reply: FI or bike?