Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Yet another Vortech Blown Thread .... possible solution inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can I buy a press? you think I can get it locally?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:12 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dunno how man tons of pressure you need, but 12 is pretty standard
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1667
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
stealthz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George@GTM
He didn't reuse the OEM Vortech bearings, his are upgraded - did you read the thread?
The smaller GMN series bearing that he is using is a better bearing than the one Vortech uses, it's pretty much the best bearing you can buy for its application, as for the bigger impeller bearings that Vortech uses you can't really get a better bearing... I'm just hoping that's his problem.. what good is R&D if your starting out with a bad blower.
I was just trying to state that it would be more cost effective for most people to get the blower checked out before just replacing the bearings with better ones, because of a bearing failure... kinda like when you spin a rod bearing, you check out the rod and crank before just replacing...

The problem that he may run into now is... in a bearing failure if its the cage that fails, the cage breaks into pieces. Now what is the shaft doing with that new found play at 40k rpms?... it can cause an oval, or a series of other issues... so at minimum anyone should have Vortech look at the bearing housing and entire blower first before just replacing those bearings, if there is even the slightest oval the bearing can spin in place... could just be a matter of time

Originally Posted by eez
don't worry george, I won't be keeping at 6600 for much longer Getting my NT05s tomorrow and taking it to the strip Friday night! We shall see what happens...

GMN Part # S6003-CTXM ABECC7

rebuild cost me about ~$230.00
So out of the four bearings you only replaced the two smaller ones and left the two biggers alone?

Last edited by stealthz; 06-10-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 AM
eez

I replaced all 4 bearings. I inspected all parts along with power plant mechs and engineers. Also the blower was at vortech 3 times and they never replaced the housing.

Btw the larger cog side bearings are cheap - paid 5.50 each.

Guys... It's a piece of mechanical equipment, not a space shuttle
Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
stealthz

Originally Posted by eez
I replaced all 4 bearings. I inspected all parts along with power plant mechs and engineers. Also the blower was at vortech 3 times and they never replaced the housing.

Btw the larger cog side bearings are cheap - paid 5.50 each.

Guys... It's a piece of mechanical equipment, not a space shuttle
the larger bearing was only $5 really? hmm that doesn't seem right but hey if you got the same bearing cool... and yea it's not a space shuttle but there is only a lil margin for error since the blade is balanced and your operating at high speeds... I'm just trying to warn others to cover there bases before they go ripping into the charger...

I do have some questions... Is it the same bearing going bad for you each time? how tight do you run your cog belt? how long does your blower last each time before another bearing fails? and is it under track use when it fails each time? sorry I'm just curious

Last edited by stealthz; 06-11-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
eez

Originally Posted by stealthz
the larger bearing was only $5 really? hmm that doesn't seem right but hey if you got the same bearing cool... and yea it's not a space shuttle but there is only a lil margin for error since the blade is balanced and your operating at high speeds... I'm just trying to warn others to cover there bases before they go ripping into the charger...

I do have some questions... Is it the same bearing going bad for you each time? how tight do you run your cog belt? how long does your blower last each time before another bearing fails? and is it under track use when it fails each time? sorry I'm just curious
This is the 1st time I have looked at it myself. Vortech would not tell me exactly what failed. In this instance it was the high speed impeller bearing, so the cog belt wouldn't matter - it wasn't too tight anyway I can move it 1/4 inch in each direction. Car has never seen the track, it's going tomorrow night though oh yeah blower only lasts about 2k miles.

I currently have ~700 miles on my rebuild. 1300 more to go I better use them wisely...LOL
Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, at least you have the right attitude about things!

I am curious to see your results, hopefully they work out and this blower lasts you a long time problem free, although I still have my doubts.

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM
stealthz

Originally Posted by eez
This is the 1st time I have looked at it myself. Vortech would not tell me exactly what failed. In this instance it was the high speed impeller bearing, so the cog belt wouldn't matter - it wasn't too tight anyway I can move it 1/4 inch in each direction. Car has never seen the track, it's going tomorrow night though oh yeah blower only lasts about 2k miles.

I currently have ~700 miles on my rebuild. 1300 more to go I better use them wisely...LOL
wow bearings are like oil changes for you lol, at least you selected a superior bearing... if this next bearing fails you might want to look into other issues... or just replace that blower with an si trim or t trim, or if it is an oil issue that's causing your issue you can get the v3 blower

Last edited by stealthz; 06-11-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
eez

couple hundred more miles and 4 1/4 mile passes and still good I ran it hard at the track, although I had serious traction issues so my times sucked!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM
eez

So, I started going over the bearing failure in my head again and everything that was discussed in the previous posts and want to go back to the basic facts that the Nachi 7003C bearings are only rated for 42,000 RPM in oil with a peak operating temperature of 248 Degrees F (limitation of the polymer based cage) as stated in their specifications.

With these specifications I was at or above the limits of Speed and Heat. If this is the case all 350z SC trim Vortechs are over spinning. I was probably seeing higher temperatures than most because I would always be spinning the bearings faster than normal because of the 34/28 T cog setup. With that said, my failures are probably due to a combination of both. I have addressed both of these issues by increasing the specifications of the bearings to 65,000 RPM and 482 Degree F (PEEK cage, polymer reinforced with carbon fiber) as well as adding a 25 Row oil cooler.

Here is the documentation...how can it be debated? The bearings aren't rated for the speed the blowers are running, even at stock. In addition I find it hard, based on what I have seen to keep the temperature in spec without an external oil cooler.

Supporting Documentation:

Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 AM
str8dum1

so the bearing you pulled out said Nachi 7003c?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Quamen

So there is still no clear rpm limit. The website says 42K and Nachi told you 61K for the bearings they supply Vortech based on the call you recieved in post #11.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 AM
eez

Originally Posted by str8dum1
so the bearing you pulled out said Nachi 7003c?
Yes NACHI 7003C Y1 - The Y1 is the load rating I believe.

Last edited by eez; 06-15-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 AM
eez

Originally Posted by Quamen
So there is still no clear rpm limit. The website says 42K and Nachi told you 61K for the bearings they supply Vortech based on the call you recieved in post #11.
Right, but when I spoke to the Nachi guy he told me they had a different cage so I figured that was the polymer based cage. Then after looking at their documentation on their site more it says the C based bearings already have that cage material.

And by the way if you look at the other 7003 non C based their max oil speed is 22,000. So, I'm going to have to call BS on what the Nachi guy told me over the phone for 61k on those 7003c bearings.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 AM
eez

LOL I believe I figured it out. The guy on the phone was looking at the wrong bearing. The 7000C is rated for 61000 RPM. I bet he was looking at that when he told me the specs. HAHA it's a totally different size bearing than the 7003C.

http://www.nachiengineering.com/bear....aspx?typeID=6
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting.

those oil temps look a little high to me based on what mine runs. i'm in indiana and it's about mid 80's outside. I haven't installed my oil cooler yet but i'm running just under 200 on the temps for oil.

Where is your oil temp sensor? where are you located?

Did the lines check out and look clear? That oil injection nozzle has some small ports nad looks like it would clog easily.

and hell ya on the shell rotella! I run that in every race motor (motorcycles) that i build. It's the greatest. My uncle's also run that in their semi's on the farm that have almost a million miles on them. It's great stuff!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 AM
eez

Originally Posted by binder
interesting.

those oil temps look a little high to me based on what mine runs. i'm in indiana and it's about mid 80's outside. I haven't installed my oil cooler yet but i'm running just under 200 on the temps for oil.

Where is your oil temp sensor? where are you located?

Did the lines check out and look clear? That oil injection nozzle has some small ports nad looks like it would clog easily.

and hell ya on the shell rotella! I run that in every race motor (motorcycles) that i build. It's the greatest. My uncle's also run that in their semi's on the farm that have almost a million miles on them. It's great stuff!
Lines were good and nozzle was clean, I made sure to check it and I replaced the oil feed line. I live in Houston and it's been in the 90s lately. My oil temp sensor is on a sandwich adapter.

are you on a rev-up motor?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
where can I buy a press? you think I can get it locally?
you could probably throw a local shop some cash to do it for you in one of their presses.

Originally Posted by eez
Lines were good and nozzle was clean, I made sure to check it and I replaced the oil feed line. I live in Houston and it's been in the 90s lately. My oil temp sensor is on a sandwich adapter.

are you on a rev-up motor?
ah, i figured you were in a hot area by the way you spoke.

I'm non-rev up. That might make a difference. I'm running a 3.12 pulley with stock cogs. I also have headers, test pipes, full exhaust with everything up in the engine bay heat wrapped. The motor flows pretty good so i would imagine it stays cool for that reason.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 AM
eez

As far as oil temps go keep in mind that I am running a rev-up to 7100 RPM with the 34/28 pulley setup. This means I am constantly spinning the blower faster at all RPMs. I can see the direct correlation between the speed the blower spins and my oil temps.

An example...hwy driving in 5th gear I will see 220 on a consistent basis. If I get on it and push it I will hit 240 for a couple minutes. If I spend most of my time in 6th gear my temp will drop to around 195-205.

BTW I peaked at 220 at the track. I did 2 runs in 20 mins and shut the car down while waiting.

so, I think the rev-up + pulley combo is why I am seeing higher temps than most. I think the average of 220 in 90+ degree weather is ok, but I would rather see 200. I've been thinking about adding a small cooler to S/C feed line. I believe JET MECH has a setup like this.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 AM
str8dum1

and those 7003 bearings are the ones attached directly to the impeller, so there's no more gear multiplication of the rpms?

ya hard to believe they spec a 50000 rpm blower with a 40000 rpm bearing.

Quick Reply: Yet another Vortech Blown Thread .... possible solution inside