Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Yet another Vortech Blown Thread .... possible solution inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eez
As far as oil temps go keep in mind that I am running a rev-up to 7100 RPM with the 34/28 pulley setup. This means I am constantly spinning the blower faster at all RPMs. I can see the direct correlation between the speed the blower spins and my oil temps.

An example...hwy driving in 5th gear I will see 220 on a consistent basis. If I get on it and push it I will hit 240 for a couple minutes. If I spend most of my time in 6th gear my temp will drop to around 195-205.

BTW I peaked at 220 at the track. I did 2 runs in 20 mins and shut the car down while waiting.

so, I think the rev-up + pulley combo is why I am seeing higher temps than most. I think the average of 220 in 90+ degree weather is ok, but I would rather see 200. I've been thinking about adding a small cooler to S/C feed line. I believe JET MECH has a setup like this.
ya, well we can fix that if you give me your 34tooth cog. i'd take the sacrifice and switch ya

220 on the track isn't bad. I thought it peaked that on daily driving.

Ya, a straight through inline oil cooler would be sweet. Could help it out a bit. I wouldn't get one with bends in it. not that it would have problems, but i wouldn't want to get an air pocket or something in there. They have some really long straight through coolers that would probably mount perfect under your intercooler.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
binder

oh ya, what size are the lines you are running to your cooler? you said you had a sandwich plate and i know most come with 1/8" ports. I run 3/4" ports on my sandwich plate and that's what will feed my cooler for some nice high flow.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM
eez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
you could probably throw a local shop some cash to do it for you in one of their presses.

ah, i figured you were in a hot area by the way you spoke.

I'm non-rev up. That might make a difference. I'm running a 3.12 pulley with stock cogs. I also have headers, test pipes, full exhaust with everything up in the engine bay heat wrapped. The motor flows pretty good so i would imagine it stays cool for that reason.
nice, maybe I need to heat wrap too. I have full exhaust and test pipes.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM
eez

oh ya, what size are the lines you are running to your cooler? you said you had a sandwich plate and i know most come with 1/8" ports. I run 3/4" ports on my sandwich plate and that's what will feed my cooler for some nice high flow.
I believe it's 1/2 to 10 AN on the adapter for the cooler.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
eez

ya, well we can fix that if you give me your 34tooth cog. i'd take the sacrifice and switch ya

220 on the track isn't bad. I thought it peaked that on daily driving.

Ya, a straight through inline oil cooler would be sweet. Could help it out a bit. I wouldn't get one with bends in it. not that it would have problems, but i wouldn't want to get an air pocket or something in there. They have some really long straight through coolers that would probably mount perfect under your intercooler.
I do see 220 daily driving and peek at 240 daily driving if I push it after i've been driving for some time.

It peaked at 220 on the track shutting it down between runs
Old 06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
binder

ah, the heat wrap should help! that left header can put off some pretty good heat towards the vortech blower.

heat wrap cooled my engine bay down a lot. It sucked wrapping it though and putting headers on, but it helped.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:28 AM
eez

I don't know why I didn't think about this before. I almost forgot I had cipher. I did some ecu logging and saw a max oil temp of 210, but on my autometer nexus I saw 228. 18 degrees is a big difference. Anybody know the location the ecu gets it's oil temp from?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 AM
binder

Originally Posted by eez
I don't know why I didn't think about this before. I almost forgot I had cipher. I did some ecu logging and saw a max oil temp of 210, but on my autometer nexus I saw 228. 18 degrees is a big difference. Anybody know the location the ecu gets it's oil temp from?
i would assume the sending unit next to the oil filter.

gauges can be way off. I would trust the cars sending units before aftermarket gauges.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 AM
eez

i would assume the sending unit next to the oil filter.

gauges can be way off. I would trust the cars sending units before aftermarket gauges.
I think that's the oil pressure sensor. If thats the case then my oil temps now and before would be around 20 degrees lower which means if I saw a 260 peak it was really only 240. Sheesh so many variables.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM
binder

well check what your ecu is seeing because that's what i would trust. a gauge is just a reference.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:12 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates, how did the new bearings work out?

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM
binder

ya, did those new seals hold up also?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 PM
rlw222

All I can say is i hope someone can fix the problem. I went through 3 of those hunks of junk [vortechs] in 5k. Sure they fixed it but got pissy when I told them they had a pos. This was 1 of the reasons I got rid of the car . Other than wanting a zo6 OH and mine was stock.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:16 AM
binder

Originally Posted by rlw222
All I can say is i hope someone can fix the problem. I went through 3 of those hunks of junk [vortechs] in 5k. Sure they fixed it but got pissy when I told them they had a pos. This was 1 of the reasons I got rid of the car . Other than wanting a zo6 OH and mine was stock.
3 of them? wow.....not saying your install was wrong but could it have been the application? there are very few people that have THAT many problems with the actual supercharging unit itself.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had 3 as well. But 3rd time was a charm as I'm making close to 500 on a dynojet now
Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 AM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I had 3 as well. But 3rd time was a charm as I'm making close to 500 on a dynojet now
weird.

see, people also have to realize that vortech makes superchargers for other cars as well (mustangs are a huge crowd) so the amount of people that they have issues with verses the amount they don't is actually very small.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Sorry if im bumping this thread.. but does anyone! know where I can get the output shaft seal for the vortech? ( smaller one ) . the seal from superchargerrebuilds.com arent the same.. and they go every 600 miles.. Iam SICK of using them. I just want the OEM vortech seal.

Thanks a lot guys!

p.s- OP, how are the new bearings?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

3 of them? wow.....not saying your install was wrong but could it have been the application? there are very few people that have THAT many problems with the actual supercharging unit itself.

I was on #5 when I got rid of my vortech, that thing was the biggest waste of money
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
Sorry if im bumping this thread.. but does anyone! know where I can get the output shaft seal for the vortech? ( smaller one ) . the seal from superchargerrebuilds.com arent the same.. and they go every 600 miles.. Iam SICK of using them. I just want the OEM vortech seal.

Thanks a lot guys!

p.s- OP, how are the new bearings?
You might wanna PM to strdum1, maybe he can help.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

I will shoot him a PM.. typing from my phone sux.. It just blows.. everything is perfectly fine except that seal... the OEM factory seal on the output shaft is a LOT more heavy duty and its made out of graphite, unlike the superchargerrebuilds.com seal that is all rubber.. and its only good for like 600 miles. =/ . the input shaft seal in other hand there identically the same. Go figure.

Sorry for highjacking.. didnt wanted to make a new thread

Quick Reply: Yet another Vortech Blown Thread .... possible solution inside