Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

F-Con install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
nosurf2day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Con install

I am curious, i have just dealt with it ever since the install but it boggles my mind.

I had performance factory install my F-Con (primarily AJ) Ever since the install, all my panel lights show up. Brake, VDC, SLIP, hell all the bells and whistles.

I don't have any serious issues with the car. Yes I have no VDC its as if I turned it off, so I am sure that none of the other stuff works as well.

I took it to forge for a re-tune and they could not figure out why it is doing that either.

I am not an electrical genius but I am guessing that AJ screwed something up when he installed the F-Con.

Forge said that there should be nothing that involves this kit that would do this. They said that all the fuses were good and nothing seemed out of place. They even reran the wires because it looked like a rats nest under my dash. Regardless immediately after AJ touched my car, this issue arose, i would love to have it fixed. And no I am not going to remove the F-Con. I don't have that kind of money. Or atleast not now. If I have to in the future I might go that route.

All you tech geniuses. Can you give me some ideas as to what the problem is? I would love to see a black gauge cluster and not one that is lit up like the 4th of July.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Grounding. But, that's where I'd check first.
What did they run the power off of?
And, what did they run the ground to?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
ToastZ

Any trouble codes being reported by the ECU ?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
nosurf2day

As a matter of fact there were codes, the vdc, abs, and steering position. We were able to clear all the codes but the steering. But as soon as I turned the car off and back on the codes came right back.

I will have to ask forged what they grounded to. They moved things around.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:52 PM
ToastZ

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
As a matter of fact there were codes, the vdc, abs, and steering position. We were able to clear all the codes but the steering. But as soon as I turned the car off and back on the codes came right back.

I will have to ask forged what they grounded to. They moved things around.
Post what codes are getting reported. I think most autopart stores etc. will read them for you free of charge.

Post the code numbers, that might spur someone who has had a similar issue.

I know this sounds weird, but a nissan/infiniti dealership ( a good one ) is sometimes a great place to ask for a diagnosis when it comes to multiple ECU codes and electrical problems. I personally have not had any ECU/code problems, but a friend of mine has on his 2005 350Z and the dealership was a huge help in the diagnosis and then allowed him to buy and replace the sensors himself. He did have to pay for labor on the diagnosis which was about 2 hours IIRC.

Not all dealerships are crooks,... there are good ones out there!

Last edited by ToastZ; 05-21-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:10 PM
diwun67

Originally Posted by ToastZ
Post what codes are getting reported. I think most autopart stores etc. will read them for you free of charge.

Post the code numbers, that might spur someone who has had a similar issue.

I know this sounds weird, but a nissan/infiniti dealership ( a good one ) is sometimes a great place to ask for a diagnosis when it comes to multiple ECU codes and electrical problems. I personally have not had any ECU/code problems, but a friend of mine has on his 2005 350Z and the dealership was a huge help in the diagnosis and then allowed him to buy and replace the sensors himself. He did have to pay for labor on the diagnosis which was about 2 hours IIRC.

Not all dealerships are crooks,... there are good ones out there!
I agree, this may be the way to go
Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
westpak
SFZCC

sounds like when the steering column is off by a tooth or two
Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I had this problem twice

first time - camshaft sensor was bad... light would come on after driving.. i could tell this was the problem because when i got off the accelerator.. the rpm's would drop to 2000 pause then go down again

second time - two blown brake lights... the VDC/SLIP/Brake lights would only come on when i hit the brake while the headlights were on

every thread i searched.. they said it was the steering sensor.. and i should take it to the dealership.. it was going to cost me a pretty penny.. luckly i figured it out before i went to the dealership
Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
nosurf2day

I will get the codes. I do know this, the steering sensor was an issue. I have an aftermarket steering wheel on right now. So I am sure that its not on perfect. How do I get that perfect alignment so the sensor will go away?

Now when the issue started though, the factory steering wheel was still on so the steering is a different issue all together.

Like before, I will go to auto zone and get the codes tomorrow, post them up and let the experts have a go. Sharif took me to an infiniti dealer i believe to have the codes looked at, they were just as boggled if I am not mistaken. We tried to get the sensor to go away but no luck.

Would an alignment take care of the steering issue?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have extra cam sensors if you wanna swap them in and see if that fixes it. Check your brake fuse and lights like doug suggested as well.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the the steering angle sensor that needs to be reset. Infiniti dealer can do this for you. I know because I had to have it does after I did my greddy twins.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:39 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by westpak
+1
Old 05-22-2009, 08:27 AM
nosurf2day

I guess that is what I will do first. Once the damn rain stops, I will go to advanced, get the codes, go to the dealer and have the sensor reset. Then we will see what happens.

If that doesnt work, mat I will swap the sensors and see if that does anything.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Citrus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be completely irrelevant, but I'll throw it out there as a long-shot possibility anyways.

On my old sentra, the alternator had 3 internal fuses. After the second one blew, every light on my dash started going crazy but the car ran just fine. Local mechanic had no idea what was going on so it went to the stealership. Apparently this was the factory "warning" system to replace your alternator. My sentra's alternator had 120k miles on it when it did this so hard to imagine a Z doing something similar (not to mention with OBDII I would expect an error code rather than dash lights going crazy).
Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
+1 Nothing to do with the FCON per se, I don't think.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
nosurf2day

So to reset the steering column do I need to remove the steering wheel and re adjust?

Like I said before, this actually happened prior to me even removing my factory steering wheel. So how would they be inter related?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:57 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

the dealer has to reset it

if it happened before. you need to do troubleshoot with the information given in this thread... check your brake fluid too.. thats another cause
Old 05-22-2009, 03:41 PM
nosurf2day

This is what forged said in regards to the power and grounds.

Power for the FCON comes from the main ECU harness...nothing is tapped...same thing with respect to grounds.

For the Knock Amp, we usualy use 12V switched power for ignition, and chassis grounds.

I am going to check with the dealer tomorrow morning to see if they can take care of me. I have alot of info to go off of for a good start. I hopefully will have some sort of answers by monday at the latest.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
boostintt

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i thought you liked the christmas tree on your dash???? i have my vdc and slip on after the new built engine and turbo kit
Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
westpak
SFZCC

people should not settle for having lights on, there should not be any on other than the occasional CEL for running rich depending on the tune, that is all I get and I could probably get rid of it if I spent some more time on the cruise numbers.

Quick Reply: F-Con install