Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How many miles on your Procharger? I want your opinions>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 09:06 PM
daddy Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Originally posted by daddy Z
280 miles ...... very loud and not nearly as fast as I had hoped for
I just got up to 400 miles tonight, but one of my belts(serpentine) started to squeel two days ago. I wasn't worried since I am scheduled to take it in Tuesday for the 500 mile check up.
I had brought the car to Grubbs the other day to ask about the edge wearing of the serpentive belt and smaller blower belt. The said all looked fine and they would take another look when I brought it in for the 500 mile oil change. I think they made a mistake by not addressing my concerns that day.

Tonight when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it started making a rapping noise and then lost all boost. I rolled down the window and smelled rubber like a belt. I stoped right away at store with a big bright overhead light to see what was up and found that my Blower Cog Belt had lost all its teeth.
The belt was still on and turning but no teeth so the blower was not turning which explain the loss of boost.

I drove it home about 15 miles .... no problem and then got a better look in my garage. Found a lot a strips of belt teeth all over the engine.

Not sure what happend but I quess that is why they tell us in the owner's manual to look for excessive belt tooth wear on the smaller blower belt. I wonder if complete tooth wear out is the same as excessive
Old 09-28-2003, 10:03 PM
IPT

1425 Miles on my Procharger Runs great and I love it

No belt squeel at all

This Is my second supercharger on a car and it feels alot better

I had a supercharger on my 2002 S2000 it was the comptech and it did not pull as hard as the procharger. The belts would also always brake on that one.

Like this one allot it get thumbs up in my book !!

So Daddy Z i guess we are the only 2 Procharged Z's in the DFW area

Parker
www.iptmotorsports.com
Old 09-29-2003, 02:25 AM
daddy Z

Originally posted by IPT

So Daddy Z i guess we are the only 2 Procharged Z's in the DFW area
but yours is the only one running
Old 09-29-2003, 02:34 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

I've got 3000+ miles on my Procharger........the mechanical aspect of it has been pretty good.......i like that i control the amount of boost with the gas pedal

problems: 1) I had my #6 plug close on me.....this is making me consider racing plugs......the casing on them is harder than the casing of the LFR6A-11's, and the electrode is recessed

2) I don't like the FMU......although it is the best controller out at the moment, i would like to get an HKS pro-con when it becomes available for this application

Other than that it's been great......i've stomped a lot of people with this thing
Old 09-29-2003, 02:47 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just crossed 1800 miles on mine with no problems. Just a touch of squeal at startup. I will be doing oil change number two soon since if you all remember, I saw a fair amount of metal debris when I did the first one. Has anyone else seen this with their first oil change?
Old 09-29-2003, 04:05 AM
jritoli

Yes there was a significant amount of metal particles in the old oil according to my installer. He wanted to do the initial oil change for that reason. While he had the car he replaced the stock spark plugs with the cooler NGK units.

He also removed all the belts cleaned and retensioned them and the initial squeal issue is a thing of the past. I am ecstatic.

Thanks Eric Valdes......
Old 09-29-2003, 10:17 AM
IPT

I had some metal shavings in mine as well after first oil change

Parker
Old 09-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you clean the belts? Did he do just the toothed ones for the blower or did he also do the untoothed serpentine one too?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:17 PM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default If you were on the West Coast...

If you were in Cali--

Where would you have your Procharger put on? (no "how about on your z engine" posts needed lol)

Or would you do it yourself?
Old 10-04-2003, 03:45 PM
daddy Z

400 miles and the smaller blower cog belt stripped all it's teeth. Took it back to Grubbs Infiniti. After talking to ATI they decided Grubbs didn't have the belt tight enough. ATI says if the belt is too loose it will catch air and jump a tooth which causes the belt to strip all the teeth off.

I am just glad I have a warranty. It didn't cost me a thing and Grubbs went ahead and changed the charger oil for free. They have a new syringe device provided by ATI to change the oil. NO mess NO hassle. Normal cost less then $20
Old 10-05-2003, 09:08 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Question

I would like to how all you guys are driving your S/C'd 350Z's? I mean, I'll be honest with you, I drive my cars (Sports) like they were meant to be driven and often times that's hard! I believe in regular maintenace and all, but I have not read about any of you running/racing against other comparable cars and or just opening it up on the freeway, etc.
I'm not trying to spend $5 - $10k on performance mods that can't hold up to being driven like a Sports Car.......
So can we get some "Real world" experiences here.......Or is everyone taking it easy due to uncertainty?
Old 10-05-2003, 07:25 PM
whosdady

I'm not sure about the other S/C Z's but I have raced multiple fast cars. The only one I lost to was a modified Z06. Even that was a fairly close race. He beat me at the track by .5 of a sec in the 1/4. If only I didn't have issues shifting this car would be super fast. I have raced a (new)CL55AMG, M5, M3, C5, WRX, and a host of other slower cars
Old 10-05-2003, 07:37 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by whosdady
I'm not sure about the other S/C Z's but I have raced multiple fast cars. The only one I lost to was a modified Z06. Even that was a fairly close race. He beat me at the track by .5 of a sec in the 1/4. If only I didn't have issues shifting this car would be super fast. I have raced a (new)CL55AMG, M5, M3, C5, WRX, and a host of other slower cars
What did you and the Z06 run in the quarter?
Old 10-05-2003, 07:49 PM
infidsg35

How much does Grubbs charge to install the Procharger? Does that price include tuning??
Old 10-06-2003, 07:24 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs up

Quite Impressive! So my next question, is how has your engine faired? i.e. When you have had "Good Runs/Races" etc. does the car need to cool down, or does it cool down fairly quickly, or is this not even an issue? How has maintenance been so far?
I'm just trying to get "overall impressions" from someone like yourself, who has obviously driven the car like I would myself. I don't plan on forking over all that cheddar, beefing up my cars performance, and NOT running it hard and testing it out on unsuspecting cars (like you stated above) and just gingerly driving it around.
You know what I mean?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:33 AM
cariza

I'm not sure about the other S/C Z's but I have raced multiple fast cars. The only one I lost to was a modified Z06. Even that was a fairly close race. He beat me at the track by .5 of a sec in the 1/4.
What did the Z06 run? The race was probably close because you got a better reaction time than the vette, .5 sec in the quarter is about 5 car lenghts, not close...
Old 10-06-2003, 09:02 AM
whosdady

.5 sec = 5 car lengths? Maybe in IS300 world with traps under 90mph. Or then again maybe you are thinking 1/8 mile? He had me by maybe 2 cars at most at the end of the 1/4. I'm not sure what types of cars or tracks you race? His (ZO6) trap was much faster, my trap was 105 mph. This is slow to me because I used to have a single turbo supra that was capable of a 10 sec. 133 mph 1/4 mile pass.
TXSTYLE: No problems with maint., except belt squeal which was easily cured. The 500 mile oil change was a pain but they have since come out with an easier way to do it.

My Z did a 13.1@105 while the ZO6 did a 12.6@116. His reaction time was better but my 60ft was better. The temp was 90+ degrees and this was my first time in this car, at the track with a 5AT.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:17 AM
msink

The faster you are traveling, the greater the distance you will be behind with a .5 sec difference. At the 105 MPH speed you were traveling, a .5 second gap is equal to 77 feet. This is equal to 5.444 car lengths (350Z).

Mark
Old 10-06-2003, 10:17 AM
FLY BY Z

Yeah he spun pretty bad then. Post the time slip and we can show you the breakdown. A tenth is about a car length even at 130MPH and even more. I race the Z sometimes and I race NHRA/IHRA Super Stock 10.3@128 or so. A tenth is about a car length there too. Obviously he spun more than .5 off (which is really bad spinning) because his trap speed should have him in the very low 12's with a decent launch. I would say he has in the neighborhood of 100 more HP than you but you are a better driver (at least that round). Nice run.

Also, you mentioned you have shifting issues. If you have the 5AT, what are the issues? Does it not work right with a supercharger?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:34 AM
whosdady

Show me how you figured this out mathmatically.

Quick Reply: How many miles on your Procharger? I want your opinions>>