Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How many miles on your Procharger? I want your opinions>>

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:05 AM
whosdady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
Yeah he spun pretty bad then. Post the time slip and we can show you the breakdown. A tenth is about a car length even at 130MPH and even more. I race the Z sometimes and I race NHRA/IHRA Super Stock 10.3@128 or so. A tenth is about a car length there too. Obviously he spun more than .5 off (which is really bad spinning) because his trap speed should have him in the very low 12's with a decent launch. I would say he has in the neighborhood of 100 more HP than you but you are a better driver (at least that round). Nice run.

Also, you mentioned you have shifting issues. If you have the 5AT, what are the issues? Does it not work right with a supercharger?
100 more HP than me? What are you guys smoking? He maybe has me by 30 hp. The fact that my car is an auto means that it will trap slower. My car put down 368 rwhp, which is close to 435 hp not including drivetrain loss. Stock he was at 405 hp and maybe has modified to 460-470 hp.

My nearly stock my supra did a 13.2 at 112. It had 330 rwhp. 6MT's just trap higher. Plus the faster you are traveling the smaller the time varience becomes not larger as was stated earlier by some other posters. IE if a 90 mph trap car beats another car by two car lengths the time gap will be greater than a car that traps 105 mph that loses by two car lengths.

My point is there is no mathematical equation for this because the 60ft, reaction time and top speed play a variable role.

Last edited by whosdady; 10-06-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:12 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by whosdady
100 more HP than me? What are you guys smoking? He maybe has me by 20 rwhp. The fact that my car is an auto means that it will trap slower. My car put down 368 rwhp, which is close to 435 hp including drivetrain loss. Stock he was at 405 and maybe has modified to 460-470 hp.

Nearly stock my supra did a 13.2 at 112. It had 330 rwhp. 6MT's just trap higher. Plus the faster you are traveling the smaller the time varience becomes not larger as was stated earlier by the prvius posters.
Excellent times my man! And with an auto at that?
I am looking forward to F/I as soon as I take care of prior finance commitments in my business ventures.

Oh yeah.... As for the above disbelief or whatever....

Don't sweat it dude..........

There are MANY people in the world who enjoy........
Attached Thumbnails How many miles on your Procharger? I want your opinions>>-hatorade-copy.jpg  
Old 10-06-2003, 12:59 PM
RD99SS

My Z did a 13.1@105 while the ZO6 did a 12.6@116
Stock he was at 405 hp and maybe has modified to 460-470 hp.
You realize that 116 MPH trap in a Z06 is a stock trap speed and they normally hit 12.4 ~ 12.6 with a decent driver, the real good drivers will hit the low 12's high 11's with that trap speed
Old 10-06-2003, 02:17 PM
FLY BY Z

Post your time slip and I will show you mathematically. No hate from me, just wondering a few things. No big deal. I think it is great that you are just about in 12's with a auto. A little cooler weather and you're there. That's awesome. If you post your time slip I will explain to you mathematically if you want. You have nothing to prove to me, it is just a request on my part because I am interested. Interested in the pass and interested in the supercharger. Also, if you just check the bottom of the time slip it should say Margin of Victory. What time does that have? That is how far ahead he was after all of the factors are factored in. That way the difference in ET is not misleading.

My point is there is no mathematical equation for this because the 60ft, reaction time and top speed play a variable role.
And just as a little add on, the mathematical equation is nothing more than addition/subtraction.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:38 PM
whosdady

Default :)

Originally posted by RD99SS
You realize that 116 MPH trap in a Z06 is a stock trap speed and they normally hit 12.4 ~ 12.6 with a decent driver, the real good drivers will hit the low 12's high 11's with that trap speed
RD99: Its funny that you mention the decent driver part. My friend in the ZO6 happens to be a professional race car driver. Not drag racing but IRL. He took 4th or 5th place his rookie year which I believe was in 2000 at the Indianpolis 500. I'm pretty confident he konws how to drive. Plus I have never seen an 11 sec pass with a stock Z06. Not going to happen. Maybe with drag radials and some other minor mods but not stock, I don't care who the driver is!

Poor track conditions and high temps were excuses we both used. There was one stock ZO6 that ran in the 13's all night. My first race of the night was against a camero SS which pulled a 13.9. to my 13.4 (first run of the night and ever with this car).

I will be taking this car to the track one more time before the end of the season and will personally guarentee a 12 sec pass. Between my first and second run I dropped .3 of a sec and gained 3 mph. It was a combitnation of decreasing temps, better launch timing and less tire spin. I have one more minor mod that should be here tomorrow and the temps will be in the 60's or 70's.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:59 PM
whosdady

Mr. Patato Head: You can email me at whosdady@aol.com and I will send you a pic of the slip, assuming I can find it. It has been nearly a month now since this happened. I would like to see how you can say 1/10th of a sec in the 1/4 is a car length regardless of speed. No offense but you sound like some of the guys who can't figure out why 5 AT's may have faster E/T's but lower traps. My point again being that there are other variables which prohibit any addition or subtraction to calculate car lengths vs. 1/4 times and trap speeds.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:19 PM
msink

Show me how you figured this out mathmatically.
The question to answer is how far did you travel in those last .5 seconds, while going 105 MPH? This will tell you the distance you were behind the Z06.

At 105 MPH you were covering a distance of...

105 MPH x 5280 ft/mile

= 55440 ft per hour
= 9240 ft/min (divide by 60)
= 154 ft/sec (divide by 60)
= 77 ft/.5 sec (divide by 2)

The 350z is 169.9" long or 14.158333 feet long.

77 feet (distance behind Z06) / 14.158333 feet (length of Z) = 5.4 car lengths behind the Z06.

Mark
Old 10-06-2003, 03:30 PM
FLY BY Z

OK I will email you. No offense taken. If you don't beleive me on the car length deal ask anyone anywhere who has experience with drag racing and they will tell you the same thing. It will be a closer race at say 60 MPH than at 150 MPH yes. I never said a tenth regardless of speed. A top fuel car doing 330 MPH will be a lot further apart in a tenth. But given an avg car length and a realistic trap speed, it will be about a car length difference. Heck, even somone else posted it already on this very thread also (msink). Just tell me this, I don't even have to do the email thing. What was the margin of victory according to the bottom of the timeslip and how far ahead would you say the Vette was? Be honest with your estimation and we can compare. Assuming that both cars try to go as fast as they can (ie not let off the gas at the 1000 foot mark, etc.) then there are no other variables. Even if a car did let off the gas, it would be reflected in the ET and the distance from the other car. Margin of victory. MPH is not a factor in the equation because, although MPH is not a constant but a rate of change in itself, the finish line is a snapshot of the moment the car crosses the finish line. Not what he did before or after the finish line. Also, MPH is calculated on the 1/4 mile by TWO separate cones at the end of the track. Both are used to calculate MPH. There is no radar gun. Therefore a driver could jam the brakes between the two cones, severely alter his MPH but not change the ET nearly as much as the MPH would indicate. I have done this a ton of times, shaving 10 MPH off of my normal MPH but only losing .04 or so from my dial in. That is part of bracket racing which is essentially what the sportsman categories in NHRA/IHRA are. Heads up is for the pros (and comp). Anyways, just provide me with those two pieces of info and the rest has no meaning.

Mark, excellent.

Also, if an auto is running faster than a stick then the stick is not being used to its potential (ie, crappy driver). I am speaking from a 10 year experience racing perspective and not a street car dude perspective. I am talking about a car with traction and parts that can handle racing. An auto has a lot of driveline power loss due to torque converter slippage and will always use more power than a stick which, hopefully is being driven like a direct connect drivetrain. No power loss. Leave the line at 5 grand and the stick will not be slower than an auto in any respect. Is this what you mean? Have a look at NHRA/IHRA records. Stick cars are always faster than their auto counterparts.

Scroll to Super Stock. My name is Cody.
2003 points

Record example. an A in the subcategory represents an automatic.

SS/K EVERETT HILL HUB CITY Feb-02

SS/KA TOM RIX UNION GROVE Sep-02

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 10-06-2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:59 PM
RD99SS

Sorry I am not doubting what you have witnessed, but my next door neighbor has an 02 Z06 and ran 12.1 ~ 12.5 all day this past Sunday here in New England (NED) his trap was a consistant 116 ~ 117MPH in a bone stock car with 9K on the OD no DR's which I offered him to use but he declined. I will be doing work on his car over the winter months he just wanted to get some base line runs. He was cutting 1.8's and 1.9 short times on his runs. I would not have believed the 11.X times myself until I seen his slips...with a little more track prep he would have had one of those 11.X slips...anyway my point was a 116MPH trap in a Z06 is a normal trap for stock or damn close to stock...just my .02
Old 10-06-2003, 05:24 PM
daddy Z

Originally posted by infidsg35
How much does Grubbs charge to install the Procharger? Does that price include tuning??
They charged me $6000 to do everything. That was polished unit, tax, install and now a dyno tune. If I remember the install part of the package was like $675.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:46 PM
whosdady

MPH: This is strange. The margin of victory is .9 at the bottom of the sheet, while I could have sworn he was only 2 cars maybe 2.5 cars (at the most) ahead of me at the finish. I'm not sure where the .9 advantage comes from, while his time was only .5X faster than mine. Does the class matter? The sheet places him in a different class (T-T). At the end of the race some guys watching from the opposite side of the digital E/T signes asked who won the race. I hope I answered your question. As far as the 77 feet, there is no way he was that far ahead of me
Old 10-06-2003, 06:51 PM
msink

I dont know what this thread is about, Im just doing some simple math. If you dont like the 77 feet, or if maybe it wasnt .5 seconds, Then lets look at the 11 MPH difference in trap speed. At that rate the Z06 is pulling 16.13 feet on you every second. That's more than a car length every second. So if you were really 2 or 2.5 car lengths behind at the end, he was pulling an extra car length on your every second at that point. This really means the car Z06 was much faster, and if he was just 2-2.5 lengths ahead at the end, while pulling ahead 1+ every second, then he was holding back till the end. Again, just doing the math

Mark
Old 10-06-2003, 07:06 PM
FLY BY Z

MPH: This is strange. The margin of victory is .9 at the bottom of the sheet, while I could have sworn he was only 2 cars maybe 2.5 cars (at the most) ahead of me at the finish. I'm not sure where the .9 advantage comes from, while his time was only .5X faster than mine. Does the class matter? The sheet places him in a different class (T-T). At the end of the race some guys watching from the opposite side of the digital E/T signes asked who won the race. I hope I answered your question. As far as the 77 feet, there is no way he was that far ahead of me
What were the reaction times and more simply, was either one red? The margin of victory just factors in the reaction time with the elapsed time. If he cut a perfect .500 light and you had a .900 light then he ran a 12.6 and you ran a 13.1 he would have been at the end of the track .9 seconds before you. Damn maybe I will email you to get a copy of the slip. Have you got it scanned? Can you just post it on here or is it scanned in too big or something?

Also, Mark's hypothesis holds a lot of water. Just as my example of jamming the brakes is true to alter MPH to the lower end, it could also be true to alter it higher. This could have been a 11.00 second 130 MPH Vette out for a joyride.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 10-06-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:38 PM
whosdady

OK, I found the slip. I made a slight boo boo. He had a 12.49 not a 12.59. But Cody has a scan of the sheet. It looks like my car ran out of steam at the end and he ws still going strong.
No red light. His r/t was faster but his 60 was slower.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:03 PM
daddy Z

OK found out why the car didn't have the power I expected. The blower hose had come loss and was venting most of the boost to the outside. Once I had that fixed and then dyno tuned the car (373 rwhp) I am very impressed by the speed and power of this car..

I now have over 900 miles on the unit and all is well. I now think I am unbeatable. Raced one of the new SC cobras and he didn't have a chance.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:10 PM
FLY BY Z

Ok, the Vette left the line with about a 3 car advantage. With your great! 60 foot time you closed it to about 2 car lenghts. Now, the car length thing will be a lot less at these low speeds so it may not have been a full 2 car lengths. That is what it would be at the finish if you both ran the same times. So, in effect, he was probably only about 1 car ahead at the 60 ft mark. You can use Mark's math to be exact. At the 1/8th mile the Vette was back up to about a 5-6 car lead. At the finish his front wheels were indeed about 9 cars ahead of your front tires.

One thing I did notice was that you MPH was about 3 MPH lower than what your time would indicate. Did you let off before the last cone? That is interesting. My Z28 (old street car) would run a 12.68 at 110 (this coincides with the ZO6 times - except he had a very poor 60ft) but it was a stick and my sixty foots were about 1.8's. I will post both slips so you can compare them if you want. As far as the T-T and different classes, I would say that did not affect times since the T-T applies to both racers, they just put it on one side. It stands for Test and Tune. Anyways, thanks for sending me the slip. By the way, is it ok if I post it?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:16 PM
whosdady

Sure post away. I tried posting it earlier but I think this site is having problems right now.

About the slowing down question, I was wondering if I slowed down too early?