Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Car continually going into limp mode???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 AM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man... I'm getting a new APP like Rafa mentioned, i'm tending to believe that's what my problem is, but once I replace it i'll know for sure.

If its ecu related i'll be looking for standalone pro-efi or haltec then. We shall see...
Old 06-12-2009, 08:40 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I've seen a UTEC will throw P1122 and P1126. All the other codes I've ever seen were unrelated.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 AM
KPierson
Banned

Anyone got any updates?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:40 PM
psychoballistic

It hasn't been happening as much lately for me but still happening, waiting on a APP unit to replace and test. When I am sure it is fixed, I will update... I'm thinking standalone also, just need to make sure whatever system I go with will plug into OBDII so I can pass NYS Inspection.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:49 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I occasionally have this same limp mode issue as you other guys. I had the dealer replace my TB twice,but I am leaning towards the accellorator pedal sensor. I haven't ordered one yet.

this limp mode issue is so erratic; you just never can predict when it will happen. it may not happen for months at a time. then, it will pop up when you least expect it, like in the middle of an intersection!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:02 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I occasionally have this same limp mode issue as you other guys. I had the dealer replace my TB twice,but I am leaning towards the accellorator pedal sensor. I haven't ordered one yet.

this limp mode issue is so erratic; you just never can predict when it will happen. it may not happen for months at a time. then, it will pop up when you least expect it, like in the middle of an intersection!
YES, exactly what happened to me... Waiting on a new APP and hopefully it will solve the problem. It hadn't happened for a couple days, then I was driving it and it was every couple minutes.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:02 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by QuadCam

Are you running a UTEC?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Right guys, I'm having this exact issue:

https://my350z.com/forum/nitrous-oxi...-100-shot.html

Tried changing the spark plugs to shorter gapped ones. Changed the oil, filter, and throttle body and it still didn't resolve this.

Running stock ECU, nitrous, plenum spacer, exhaust, etc....

My problem seems identical to the ones in this thread... It however only occurs if I accelerate hard (but not always), and is more likely with nitrous switched on.

Can someone confirm if a new APP sensor will sort this? There are no ECU error codes showing up on Nissan consult / OBD.

Last edited by wizard; 05-05-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:50 AM
KPierson
Banned

While the end result is the same (limp mode) it doesn't sound to me like you are having the same problem. The people in this thread have issues with the car randomly going in to limp mode either under normal driving conditions or right at start up. From your thread you state it is only under heavy load. If it is a loading issue I would start with the MAF and make sure you aren't pushing too much air through it.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 AM
wizard

Yes it does only occur under heavy load.

Would cleaning the MAF sensor help? Or do I have to replace?

Not sure why it would occur now though. The exact same amount of air is being pushed through then last year... same nitrous shot level, everything. Could it be something to do with the air flow meter playing up?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 AM
KPierson
Banned

I'm not sure - thats why I said I would start by investigating the MAF. From having a turbo car I know that if too much air is pushed through the MAF too soon it will go in to limp mode. Of course there are several other things that will throw the car in to limp mode as well. The only reason I would start at the MAF is you mentioned heavy load. Heavy load = higher MAF voltage.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM
skn5002

I've been having this problem for almost a year now. I have the STS turbo kit installed w/ utec. The code I get is the P2135 code. It is very erratic... usually I go days or weeks w/o getting the code then bam... it appears. When the code reappears though, it seems as if occurs much more frequently in a period of a few days and then goes away for another period of time. Sometimes, I will have to clear the code 3-4 times before it goes out of limp mode. I can tell the days the code will appear since the throttle response will feel very sloppy. I have replaced both the throttle body and pedal sensor, and have done the reset procedures plenty of times. The code goes away for a while but always comes back. I wonder if bad wiring or a bad ground can cause this? I will probably recheck all my wiring one of these weekends.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't feel bad guys my car (not boosted) (un-tuned) has felt like it went into limp mode a few times since ownership only after a good ol romping.. Hasn't happened yet this season. fingers crossed...
Old 05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
jumbosrule

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this happen also, and my code was P2135.

At the time, I had a Blitz throttle controller. Turns out it was shorting out during normal driving and disrupting the throttle signal. I removed the controller and no codes or limp mode since then.

Several people had suggested to me that it was my Throttle Body and that I would need to replace it. If I did not have the throttle controller, I have no doubt it would have been the TB.

The pedal sensors are two potentiometers that could go bad - but rarely do. I think it's not very likely the problem is with the sensors. It's much more likely to be the TB.

If you are sure it's absolutely not the TB, then I would start taking a closer look at your FI system, engine management and tune. If you already have aftermarket engine management, consider switching over to Intake Air Temperature instead of using the MAF.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 05-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:42 AM
wizard

Well my TB has been changed so it sorts of eliminates that for me.

I've been advised to clean the MAF sensor so I will try and give that a go this weekend and post up my results.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM
me1109

My tranny feels like its getting ready to head south... i may not be able to make it... i'll try and see how the car is in the morning...
Old 05-08-2010, 06:33 AM
psychoballistic

In all honesty, I think it has to do with a setting in the Utec. There's alot of threads where people who ran the Utec switched over to standalones and never had the issue come back with the related codes being mentioned.

That being said, some people have had fantastic luck with the Utec, however whether it's a setting or a ground issue, TurboXS should be able to let us as the end users know, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Wizard, I think Kpierson is right on with where to start. It's going into limp mode and your not getting a code? Is the "slip" and "limp" lights coming on?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 AM
theking

Has anyone tried running a ground strap from the utec body to chassis ground. Might be worth a try but then again I got the code when I used the emanage with the patch harness.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:59 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theking
Has anyone tried running a ground strap from the utec body to chassis ground. Might be worth a try but then again I got the code when I used the emanage with the patch harness.
On the 350z it should be already chassis grounded (bolted to stock ECU). On the G35 it may need extra grounding since most don't use the 350Z mounting plates. On my G, I (and probably many others) cut off the mounting bolts so it could slide all the way up into the dash, but I never thought to re-ground the chassis. I am connecting the black wire from the molex to chassis ground which according to TurboXS provides a better injector ground.

Last edited by djamps; 05-08-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 AM
wizard

Ok so I cleaned the MAF sensor (with contact cleaner) and the HKS induction kit (with Carb cleaner), it still didn't bloody resolve this issue.

So far I have:

1) Replaced the spark plugs
2) Changed the throttle body
3) Cleaned the MAF sensor
4) Changed the oil and filter

... Where do I go from here? Think a dyno session will be the only way to sort this!

Quick Reply: Car continually going into limp mode???