Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

update on Powerlab turbo kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default update on Powerlab turbo kit.

I've had the kit on my car for a little over a year now, I do not put many miles on it, however when I do drive the car, I DRIVE it. I make sure I have fun.

I put my car up on jackstands today and did a total under car inspection to see if I had any issues with the powerlab kit.

I checked oil lines, oil pan spacer, all piping, all fittings, fuel lines, pretty much anything that was added, I inspected it.

I noticed that the vac lines going to/from the waste gate were working their way off, I pushed them back on and added some zip ties. I'm not sure if it would have fully came off on its own, but its something I'd rather not find out.

Other then that, I can say that I didn't see a single issue, I put a lot of attention into the piping around the downpipe and up pipes, I was able to see all the way around all the piping where it was the tightest with the trans and can say with out a doubt I have ZERO rubbing issues.

I also noticed that on the top side of the turbo between housings, I have a bit of rust building up where I guess its getting wet from when I wash it then it sits on the turbo once its put in the garage. I need to take a wire brush to it and make sure it has some oil on it from here on out.

Very happy with the kit, if I could redo it, I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
tgunsg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. What is your whp? If you don't mine me asking.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome Jeffie!!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Now i've seen many guys installed powerlab ST after yours. Congrat. Any plan to upgrade?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 PM
jeffie7

nope 100% happy with it.

373 on daves dyno.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
michaeljr6

om nom nom nom

you need a garage.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM
ironx

sounds good .....looks like i know what kit im getting now did you build the motor or still using a stock block
Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 PM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by jeffie7
nope 100% happy with it.

373 on daves dyno.
those numbers are kinda low. What dyno is he using? I thought this kit was putting down more than that. I am thinking of switching my TN kit to this kit or the momentum kit if they ever put it out for sale after I build my block.

Are you running the kit bone stock. On their site they claim 400rwhp with this kit on a stock block.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
those numbers are kinda low. What dyno is he using? I thought this kit was putting down more than that. I am thinking of switching my TN kit to this kit or the momentum kit if they ever put it out for sale after I build my block.

Are you running the kit bone stock. On their site they claim 400rwhp with this kit on a stock block.
Daves dyno always reads low.

Another guy with the kit running almost the same setup as me ran 37x on daves dyno yet at AAM he put down 43x

So yeah, daves dyno is kinda low.

Powerlab kit is nothing but top notch stuff, TN kit is a great turn key kit if you have zero desire to run anything more then what the kit is setup for.

As to the garage, I have one, just not enough room to jack the car up at all 4 corners.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
nosurf2day

I agree about the tn kit, i bought mine before PL came out. I upgraded the bov, wastegate, and computer to tial, and FCON. Plus I put in 550 injectors. I guess I should have worked for PL, they basically did exactly what I did, but used a bigger turbine. I mean everything that the PL kit has I have on my TN kit, spacer, sb oil return line, i bought my kit and 4 months later the PL kit came out and I said to my self F**K, why??? I could have saved hella amounts of money. Oh well, I am happy with my numbers, I hope for much more when I get the PL kit.

Are you planning on upgrading any components?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome jeffie!!! I can haz a ride when I get back???
Old 06-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Junior_PR

Nice bro! Btw thanks for all the help during my install by pm's. And yes PL claim 400rwhp and i got 413rwhp at 8.2psi, stock block, light flywheel and upgrade clutch. This s a great kit.

Any plans to build ur engine or to upgrade anything for better performance?

Last edited by Junior_PR; 06-14-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great Jeffie!

I've really been reading up on the Powerlab ST kit, so thank you for this thread.

You are running it on your stock block, right? How many miles are on the Powerlab kit?
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 AM
marra23

sooo good, something positive on a Monday morning. +1000000 on your install mate.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 AM
frankie945

The only problem I had installing the PL kit. Is I had to put a dent in the 2nd down pipe and it still touch's the transmition. Also had to cut down the 3rd exhaust to get it to mate with my single. The pipe is only 1/4 inch above the frame support. Just barley got it to clear. They need to add a bracket like the TN kit to take weight off the downpipes and exhaust . And every npt thread had to be retapped. Other then those issues I realy like the kit. I had a blast with the new setup saturday at my local hangout spot if u know what I mean. Putting down 400wph 9psi tuned at injected peformance.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:24 AM
cc1012

how many miles have you been running this kit for?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Lemans350zTT

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I've had the kit on my car for a little over a year now, I do not put many miles on it, however when I do drive the car, I DRIVE it. I make sure I have fun.

I put my car up on jackstands today and did a total under car inspection to see if I had any issues with the powerlab kit.

I checked oil lines, oil pan spacer, all piping, all fittings, fuel lines, pretty much anything that was added, I inspected it.

I noticed that the vac lines going to/from the waste gate were working their way off, I pushed them back on and added some zip ties. I'm not sure if it would have fully came off on its own, but its something I'd rather not find out.

Other then that, I can say that I didn't see a single issue, I put a lot of attention into the piping around the downpipe and up pipes, I was able to see all the way around all the piping where it was the tightest with the trans and can say with out a doubt I have ZERO rubbing issues.

I also noticed that on the top side of the turbo between housings, I have a bit of rust building up where I guess its getting wet from when I wash it then it sits on the turbo once its put in the garage. I need to take a wire brush to it and make sure it has some oil on it from here on out.

Very happy with the kit, if I could redo it, I wouldn't change a thing.

Dude that is great to hear!!! I've had the powerlabs KIT installed for about a week now and love it!! Great to hear that you are not having any problems And car looks great man. Wish I new how to post pics up on hear. And the power is great 7psi and 396WHP and 378TQ!! Anyway good post

Last edited by Lemans350zTT; 06-15-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Wrong PSI
Old 06-15-2009, 10:17 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurf2day

here is info if you want unbiased data from another shop
http://www.injectedblog.com/2009/01/...haltech-tuned/
Note the guys injected also used DD-dyno numbers so assuming dynojet reads ~10% higher we are talking about ~500whp dynojet @10psi...they used Haltech for ems

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-15-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update Jeffie! This makes me feel comfortable about the reliability of the kit and putting it on my daily driver.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
jeffie7

Do keep in mind I do not drive the car often, total miles with turbo? not too many, maybe 2000? However, when I do take the car out, RARELY does the car sit at one rpm, I'm always running through the gears. Hitting as many backroads and getting sideways as often as I can.

If I drove my car daily I would watch over the clutch line, it passes right by the downpipe and word on the street is it can heat up and start to cause the clutch pedal to feel soft and in some cases can get so hot that it doesn't want to work unless you let it cool down for awhile. again, nothing but the word on the street, this isn't just a powerlab thing, any time you run an exhaust pipe a few inches from the clutch line.

I have a 100% stock motor, I have zero plans on upgrading it. 1st gear spins at any rpm, 2nd gear spins but grabs enough to make it fun. 3rd gear and on has no traction issues. IMO the perfect street car for someone like myself who stays away from highways.

I spend most of my time in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear.

Quick Reply: update on Powerlab turbo kit.