Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Issue with vortech belts Goodyear VS Gates

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 AM
wenlipai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpc350
While installing a 2.87 recently I noticed the belt (Bando) has been rubbing and cutting a notch in the cam cover plate. The GTM pulley lowered the belt and it now caused this to occur. The poster may want to look at this and rule it out as cutting off the end of his belt. Look at the 4th pic in posters original post..GL
thanks i'll check that, but still can't understand why it does work fine with the Goodyear, i only have problems with GATES belt
Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

It might be how belt designed, that might one belt cut and another one didn't.

Either way, there is something wrong. I would try gates one more time, make sure line up fine and enough tight.

Good luck
Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by Chef-J
It might be how belt designed, that might one belt cut and another one didn't.

Either way, there is something wrong. I would try gates one more time, make sure line up fine and enough tight.

Good luck
ok, i'll take your advice, thanks, i'll try it tomorrow,
Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the gates belt is the way to go...i didnt really read through im at work but, if the car squeals on a start the belt is loose, start it with ac on and keep tightening till it stops..if the belt is getting torn up like that then theres a problem with the install and its not straight or somethin..i have run the same gates belt for 4k miles with no issues..check and make sure u know which belt layout u have and if u are running the 2.87 maybe u are slipping and its tearing it up..idk..
Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
the gates belt is the way to go...i didnt really read through im at work but, if the car squeals on a start the belt is loose, start it with ac on and keep tightening till it stops..if the belt is getting torn up like that then theres a problem with the install and its not straight or somethin..i have run the same gates belt for 4k miles with no issues..check and make sure u know which belt layout u have and if u are running the 2.87 maybe u are slipping and its tearing it up..idk..
as i said, but why it does work with goodyear gatorback belt? i mean if i use GATE belt has problem, but Gatorback no issues, i'll try to figure it out tomorrow , and going to try with timrod way and the new belt setup and see if works. thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe u are using the wrong size gates belt for your belt layout and pulley size and cog setup?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:30 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
maybe u are using the wrong size gates belt for your belt layout and pulley size and cog setup?
the same size as Goodyear the one that works fine, but going to the new belt setup tomorrow, i'll take some pics and vids.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM
wenlipai

hi, just got installed today and tested on the street, i did Tomrod setup with customs metal pulley, and right now i'm running with Gates Belt K060920 running better as i gain 1.5 psi boost and i was 11.7AFR and now 12.3AFR so a lot of improvement, today just run for 30 minutes with no issues and no belt slip, thanks all for your advice!!! i'll take some videos and post tomorrow @ youtube and here.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:03 PM
wenlipai

this week going to install headers (topspeed) and HKS Camp 2, so i'll take some vids once i got installed!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

have fun with those headers. they are a pain in the butt. If i knew they were going to be that bad i would have just kept my stock ones....lol
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by binder
have fun with those headers. they are a pain in the butt. If i knew they were going to be that bad i would have just kept my stock ones....lol
yeah? why is that? i bought this brand is because of my friend has 350z Stocks and he got topspeed header with wrap and help a lot of improvement, he said, he used around a 13 months till now, and looks fine. but tell me what happened with your headers?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

not brand specific, car specific. It's just a pain in the butt to install headers on our car. Even with everything removed from the engine there is still barely enough room to fit the headers in there. Reaching the header nuts to tighten them is almost impossible also.

It just wasn't a fun install for me. It took me about the same time to install my headers as it did my full supercharger setup. Mine also hit the steering knuckle so i had to dint the headers then grind on the steering knuckle and they still rub a little. It's a pain in the butt.

If yours don't rub then you have that over mine. The install is a lot of bloody knuckles. lol
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by wenlipai
hi, just got installed today and tested on the street, i did Tomrod setup with customs metal pulley, and right now i'm running with Gates Belt K060920 running better as i gain 1.5 psi boost and i was 11.7AFR and now 12.3AFR so a lot of improvement, today just run for 30 minutes with no issues and no belt slip, thanks all for your advice!!! i'll take some videos and post tomorrow @ youtube and here.

How did you smooth the stock idler pulley for that timrod setup?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
wenlipai

watch the video of my Timrod setup with my vortech s/c non-revup

Gain 1.5psi
got leaner so more power

11.7AFR before
12.3 ~ 12.4 AFR now
running Water Meth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HESx5Rvq9Zo

Last edited by wenlipai; 07-01-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
well i kept the stock one, and make a new one, i paid around 110USD for it and looks the same
Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by wenlipai
watch the video of my Timrod setup with my vortech s/c non-revup

Gain 1.5psi
got leaner so more power

11.7AFR before
12.3 ~ 12.4 AFR now
running Water Meth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HESx5Rvq9Zo

So how much Boost are you making with the Timrod Setup, 2.87 and 34/28 cog?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:08 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
It's called a Machine Shop...........
Old 07-02-2009, 06:18 AM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
So how much Boost are you making with the Timrod Setup, 2.87 and 34/28 cog?
i was making 10psi @ 6600 and 10.5~11psi @ 6800rpm

and now i'm making 9 ~10psi @ 5800 ~ 6000 rpm and 10.5~11.5psi @6600rpm

i can see the difference between this setup, specially you can see @ AFR it goes leaner 0.6 ~0.7AFR and no belt slip

Last edited by wenlipai; 07-02-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Fleet Z

Originally Posted by Larry@Showtime
Had to chime in guys.. im having a hard time thus far with my 07 revup setup. I believe there is allot of belt slipage as on the dyno, its shows the MAF volume steadily inscrease then fall then increase then fall.. this is around 10.350+. Im today going to order the GTM pulley and gates belts.. i think even a 3" diameter MAF. The car right now is only making 7.1 psi @ 300rwhp . I have the 2.87 pulley setup and some supporting mods.. I hope the new belt and GTM pulley and MAF take care of all this mess.. Its been 9 weeks since i started this project and having an 07 didnt make tuning any easier.
I have a 2006 Rev-up with the 3.12 pulley making 9psi of boost. I've read countless threads on Vortech belt slippage and the way I cured the problem was by properly adjusting the belt. I went through the same stunts everyone recommends....throwing away the Goodyear Gatorback and using a Gates belt. I could make boost but the cold squeal was driving me crazy. I've been around performance cars for 25+ years and never had a belt noise issue.

Here's the trick to eliminating the belt slippage issue.....You need to adjust the belt with the engine running. If you try to adjust the belt as normal with the engine shut off, the belt appears to be tight but really isn't. I must have adjusted the Gates belt a dozen times and was still battling the slippage/squeal issue.

Actually, to make a long story short, I went back to the Goodyear Gatorback. The Gatorback runs very quiet compared to the Gates belt. I got rid of the slippage/squeal issue and the only sound to be heard from the set-up is the whine of the compressor. Perfect in my opinion.....

A word of caution and the reason why I have been hesitant to share this adjustment method....It is extremely dangerous. Besides the rotating belt, if the transmision ever slipped into gear and the rear wheels were on the ground, there would be hair, teeth and eyeballs all over the concrete. Without taking precautions, you could cause severe injury or death to yourself and/or others.

Here's a simple procedure:

1. Get all four wheels off the ground by using a lift or four heavy duty jackstands.

2. Start engine in neutral and allow to warm up. Doing this adjustment on high idle is even more dangerous.

3. Shut off engine and loosen 14mm locknut on adjustment idler pulley. You just want to crack this bad boy loose. Too much and you will find you idler pulley and belt on the floor.

4. Start engine and take a 12mm socket with a long extension to keep your fingers clear of rotating belt and pulleys. As you tighten the adjustment bolt, you will feel the resistance increasing. Get it tight but don't kill it.

5. Shut off the engine and tighten the 14mm locknut. You should be good to go.....

Last edited by Fleet Z; 07-20-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get a piece of string, wrap around pulleys, and measure

proper belt sizing is not rocket science

Quick Reply: Issue with vortech belts Goodyear VS Gates