Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Issue with vortech belts Goodyear VS Gates

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:35 PM
wenlipai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with vortech belts Goodyear VS Gates

First i hope you all can understand my English, i have this issue since last wednesday due to my supercharger vortech serpentine belts was squealing (goodyear Gatorback 4060935 stock one ), so i took the belt off and change a new serpentine belt Gates K060930 Micro-V and tight it up (see pic)

, so after install in that day i went to my home and was all running right.
The problem occur the next day when i start the engine and hear squealing sound for about 2 minutes, so open the hood and saw that one line of 6 lines of the belt came up to the Factory Idler pulley and was cut by the factory idler pulley like this pictures:

see, only 5 lines left on the belt, cut one line with the factory idler pulley

So i took the Gates belt down, meanwhile 'cuz i didn't have an extra new Serpentine belt, i put the goodyear belt back and was running fine, just the squealing sound came up, but it runs well with boost but the sound was killing me

so i got a new Gate Belt and install it again, and run perfectly at idle so i tested on road, and just a few miles guess what happened? see this pic

yeah it was destroyed the belt, i drove way home and took it out, and i put the used Goodyear Gatorback 4060935 back again, guess what? everything is working perfectly with boost and no issue but the squealing sound kills me!

Does anyone know that happened? i'm going to wait the new Goodyear Gatorback 4060935 belt and install it, and see if works next week, but i though the Gates belt K060930 was the best belt, but dunno why i have these issues. Any advice? or does anyone knows what could happened?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

It happened to me before on high way. I couldn't find an answer that how or why. But I think I tighted the belt too much at that time. I've using the gate belt for while, even now. Expect that one time, no issue so far.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too tight, not aligned right would be the common issues.
When you put the new belt on, use a straight edge to make sure all the pulleys are on the same plane. You should be able to push the belt over 45* at least with 1 finger. Shouldnt have to go tighter than that (at least I dont)

Old 06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
wenlipai

yeah, but why i installed 2 brand new GATES belts and the same issue, but the used Goodyear is working perfectly but the squealing sound, i just want to get the New Goodyear belt and see maybe is the brand or material....
If is too tight i think no matter which brand of belts will always have the same problem, but not, just using GATES belt has this problem, so i'll have the new Gatorback belt in 1 week, so i'll update once i get the new belt. I'm having a big headache cuz i live in El Salvador and this country they don't have this size of belts, so i have to buy from USA, and is PITA waiting...........
Old 06-27-2009, 03:52 PM
350Z400rwhp

My belt squeals for about 2-3 min every time I start my car when its cold and will also squeal as I rev it quickly for the first 10 min. The problem goes away and everything is normal after that. I think I have an alignment problem and I will dig into it this winter. I may have the spacing of the bracket wrong so I will have to use some washers and shim it out. For now its not a huge deal but my car sounds like a pos at start up. Don't spray belt conditioner on your belt. I did this last summer and then I just got dirt and rubber build up and then I had belt slip issues with my supercharger pulley. The culprit of the squealing is the power steering pulley because of the limited contact area of the belt. I may also look into pulling this out and sand blasting it as I did my 2.87 pulley for extra traction.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:08 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with the non-revup revised belt config, its all perfect.

Wen, you are still using the old config. I'd try to get up with vortech about switching to the revised setup. The mounting plate might already be drilled, so its just a matter of moving idler pulleys
Old 06-27-2009, 05:53 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by str8dum1
with the non-revup revised belt config, its all perfect.

Wen, you are still using the old config. I'd try to get up with vortech about switching to the revised setup. The mounting plate might already be drilled, so its just a matter of moving idler pulleys
i'll appreciate if you do so, thanks, i'm also trying to switch Timrod way with the GTM pulley on monday, but the same, need to wait the belt.... so hope i can solve this problem soon..... already 7 days w/o my baby Z
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i use the new non-rev up revised belt routing with a gates belt and it works great. I'm getting 11psi of boost. I'm not using the GTM pulley yet and it was 97 degrees outside with 70% humidity. I have headers, test pipes, and true dual exhaust with a 2.87 pulley. Not bad. I do see some belt dust from a small amount of slip. I'll try the GTM pulley soon. I just can't justify spending 100$ for a belt and a tiny pulley when i don't even have 200 miles on this belt.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:30 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by binder
i use the new non-rev up revised belt routing with a gates belt and it works great. I'm getting 11psi of boost. I'm not using the GTM pulley yet and it was 97 degrees outside with 70% humidity. I have headers, test pipes, and true dual exhaust with a 2.87 pulley. Not bad. I do see some belt dust from a small amount of slip. I'll try the GTM pulley soon. I just can't justify spending 100$ for a belt and a tiny pulley when i don't even have 200 miles on this belt.
can anyone show me a pic of new non-revup revised belt setup?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:34 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

didnt read whole thing, just wanted to say gates used to have lifetime warranty on their belts. Atleast through O'reily's my vortech used to eat them when i would put my 22Lb pulley on my mustang. Save your reciepts and the lil boxes they come in. See if any of the retailers in your area will warranty them, if not contact gates hope that will atleast save you some cash cause my belts would be like 40 bucks a pop.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 PM
wenlipai

Is this the new non-revup setup belt? wow i didn't know that, anyone can confirm me if does?

I found it in www.vortechsupercharger.com in manual instructions, so is this the new setup? so is it shorter the belt? or is the same 93"? or smaller?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by idwin
didnt read whole thing, just wanted to say gates used to have lifetime warranty on their belts. Atleast through O'reily's my vortech used to eat them when i would put my 22Lb pulley on my mustang. Save your reciepts and the lil boxes they come in. See if any of the retailers in your area will warranty them, if not contact gates hope that will atleast save you some cash cause my belts would be like 40 bucks a pop.
yeah that will help if my 350z is in USA, but not, and can't send it back to USA due to the shipping charges is too expensive, but thanks for your advice!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by wenlipai
Is this the new non-revup setup belt? wow i didn't know that, anyone can confirm me if does?

I found it in www.vortechsupercharger.com in manual instructions, so is this the new setup? so is it shorter the belt? or is the same 93"? or smaller?

I'm using that setup with GTM pulley/2.87. Belt size was 79~80, i fogot exact size.

Last edited by Chef-J; 06-27-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:23 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by Chef-J
I'm using that setup with GTM pulley/2.87. Belt size was 79~80, i fogot exact size.
i'll try it tomorrow, but WHAT? 79 ~ 80??? that much are you sure? because the stock is 93.5", or you mean 89 ~ 90?

hey what's your setup on your cog? i have 34/28 and 2.87 and i'm boosting @ 10 psi @ 6700rpm and you?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Fact, if the Belt is installed on the pulleys correctly and it is squealing, Tighten the Belt 1/2 Turn and Test, continue in till Squealing Stops.

The Squealing Sound is from the Belt Slipping............

OldManz350 (TimRod1011)
Old 06-27-2009, 11:30 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

i'll try it tomorrow, but WHAT? 79 ~ 80??? that much are you sure? because the stock is 93.5", or you mean 89 ~ 90?

hey what's your setup on your cog? i have 34/28 and 2.87 and i'm boosting @ 10 psi @ 6700rpm and you?
So you have a Non-Revup Vortech with 2.87 and 34/28 Cog?

If so you should be making 13-14 Lbs of Boost.

Can You Verify...
Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 PM
wenlipai

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
So you have a Non-Revup Vortech with 2.87 and 34/28 Cog?

If so you should be making 13-14 Lbs of Boost.

Can You Verify...
maybe i have belt slip, but i'll try on monday once i have the new setup, just hope to get the new belt on monday
Old 06-28-2009, 04:13 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that's the new revised setup someone posted.

people say use the 79.5" belt but i couldn't get it it to fit on my g35 with a 3.12 pulley. I switched over to the next size up which is 80 1/8" belt and it worked great. Since i went to the 2.87 it has plenty of slack to add the GTM pulley. It currently tightened up nicely without the GTM pulley too.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:46 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Yes it is. That fits perfect on mine.

Non rev stock size. 32/28

Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 AM
jpc350

While installing a 2.87 recently I noticed the belt (Bando) has been rubbing and cutting a notch in the cam cover plate. The GTM pulley lowered the belt and it now caused this to occur. The poster may want to look at this and rule it out as cutting off the end of his belt. Look at the 4th pic in posters original post..GL

Quick Reply: Issue with vortech belts Goodyear VS Gates