Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Upper Limits of JWT 530bb turbos & Clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:40 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Limits of JWT 530bb turbos & Clutch.

So I am trying to figure out if anyone has hit the upper limits of the JWT 530bb.

What boost pressure was the turbo, what rpm, what BHP setting were you at, it would be a miracle if you had intake temps and IC temps as well, and compression of motor.

Also, I am looking to find out what the upper limit of holding capacity is for the JWT Clutch setup.

ft lbs, whp, driving style, etc.

Right now I am at 410 whp on a dyno dynamics. I am building a motor for road race and want to keep my quick spooling turbos.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:04 PM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MI 35th
So I am trying to figure out if anyone has hit the upper limits of the JWT 530bb.

What boost pressure was the turbo, what rpm, what BHP setting were you at, it would be a miracle if you had intake temps and IC temps as well, and compression of motor.

Also, I am looking to find out what the upper limit of holding capacity is for the JWT Clutch setup.

ft lbs, whp, driving style, etc.

Right now I am at 410 whp on a dyno dynamics. I am building a motor for road race and want to keep my quick spooling turbos.

i have a built motor, and those turbos. honestly i would upgrade them.

i did 20 pulls on the dyno when tuning the Haltech, and the happy boost level on those turbos with 8.8 CR was around 13PSI. 460rwhp. any more boost you will see more torque. i made 525rwtq at that psi and when i raised it my hp when lower by a couple hp, but my torque was going higher. all done on a dynodynamics.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

I am building a 10.1:1 Compression motor.

I am looking for response, and trq. 500 whp would be perfect.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM
XKR

I am building a 10.1:1 Compression motor.

I am looking for response, and trq. 500 whp would be perfect.
Why not lower compression?? If you already have the 530bb and want to upgrade to the 700bb....call Forged performance.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:59 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The 700bb is pretty well suited for mid range responsiveness on pump gas. Sharif ran these on his track Z. After 18 psi they lose efficiency, but you can probably make power up to 20 psi on race fuel. On a 6MT, you'll make it into the 550s.

The 530bb has amazing low end torque but there's no getting around the exhaust flow restriction with those tiny turbines. You might make 500 whp on a DJ, but you'd have to struggle for it. Just not designed for high rpm performance.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are looking for a road-race application....running those little turbos at the upper limit of their efficiency is going to cause heat problems on a road course.

tom
Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The small 530bb's will do 450whp maximum on the Dyno Dynamics on pump gas. We've max out the 530's, the 700's, and the 850's. As Raj mentioned, you might kiss 500whp on a generous dyno, but it's a stretch.

For road racing the spool is terrific, but 450whp is a bit anemic these days, and the powerband will run out of steam beyond 6000rpm. I'd prefer a nice clean and usable 500whp, which would point to the 700bb setup, or something comparable to that.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:07 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Injected is building this setup. Their Dyno is such a ego bust.

Current Setup.

JWT 530
JWT Clutch & Flywheel
Haltech
DWerks 600cc returnless
Plenum Spacer
APS Exhaust

Injected will be building me a motor as soon as I get off my lazy butt and send over the deposit.
10:1 Comp motor, or close to it
Injected Fuel system, IP Fuel rails, 1000cc Inj, return system, CJ twin pump
Some sort of clutch... ATS twin plate
Koyo 54mm Rad
Coolant Bypass mod

I want the response and low end trq,
My Z was anemic in its NA state but did well around the track just because of gearing and good suspension tuning. I am worried about those slow tight corners when you cant quite get it into first but the revs are too low for second to spool a bigger turbo...

I may look into the 700bb but it just might not be in the budget for me.

thanks for the responses, I got the info I was seeking, even though it wasnt the news I wanted.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

I tried to find my dyno but I can't. I have it somewhere but I'll have to take some more time to find it.

My basic setup is

JWT 530 kit
Built motor 8.5:1
JWT clutch/flywheel

I was at VIR running the patriot course, 14.5 psi boost, dyno'd at 475whp/550wtq (i was looking for the dyno sheet to clarify whether it was DJ or DD, so I don't know for sure). The kit has been on there for probably close to 3 years now and never was there one issue with it. It was tuned with the Splitsecond box by JW.

I had been running all day, from noon until about 5, in all three heats. I had done probably, 15 or more runs by this point, all full out - and then it blew, white smoke coming out of the passenger side exhaust. I knew it wasn't the engine, it was running fine as I was coming back off the track, no knocking or missing, and the smoke only came out when I hit the gas. The shop I took it to confirmed that it was the turbo, it was in pretty bad shape.

Right now I'm not exactly sure why it blew, I am going to get a full report when I pick up the car.

So there's my experience with taking it to the limit lol. Hope that helps.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:26 AM
thom000001

I'm still not sure on the 10:1 comp.........

The danger in detonation is far worse than the small gains you may see by raising the compression.....

Also, I didn't see any loss in low mid power by lowering my compression to 8.5:1....actually compared to stock I picked up tq down low....and then well yea it goes up quickly as the boost comes on.....

Why so concerned on the low range power anyway, when you are on the track are you EVER below 3800-4000rpm?

tom
Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 AM
XKR

Injected is building this setup. Their Dyno is such a ego bust.

Current Setup.

JWT 530
JWT Clutch & Flywheel
Haltech
DWerks 600cc returnless
Plenum Spacer
APS Exhaust

Injected will be building me a motor as soon as I get off my lazy butt and send over the deposit.
10:1 Comp motor, or close to it
Injected Fuel system, IP Fuel rails, 1000cc Inj, return system, CJ twin pump
Some sort of clutch... ATS twin plate
Koyo 54mm Rad
Coolant Bypass mod

I want the response and low end trq,
My Z was anemic in its NA state but did well around the track just because of gearing and good suspension tuning. I am worried about those slow tight corners when you cant quite get it into first but the revs are too low for second to spool a bigger turbo...

I may look into the 700bb but it just might not be in the budget for me.

thanks for the responses, I got the info I was seeking, even though it wasnt the news I wanted.

I am glad to hear that Injected is doing the work....I like Hal and Greg....they know what they are doing.

My question is...are you planning to go bigger power later? Reason i ask is...you are going with 1000cc injectors and twin pumps on a 450whp build I am a firm believer in over building....but I knew in advance i would be going for over 800whp in a year.

As far as the 700bb being use on slow corners.....I have done many events with the 700BB and small tracks and large track...and never had to go below 3rd gear. Best thing for you to do is to get a ride in a car with the 700BB.

Originally Posted by MrKaira
I tried to find my dyno but I can't. I have it somewhere but I'll have to take some more time to find it.

My basic setup is

JWT 530 kit
Built motor 8.5:1
JWT clutch/flywheel

I was at VIR running the patriot course, 14.5 psi boost, dyno'd at 475whp/550wtq (i was looking for the dyno sheet to clarify whether it was DJ or DD, so I don't know for sure). The kit has been on there for probably close to 3 years now and never was there one issue with it. It was tuned with the Splitsecond box by JW.

I had been running all day, from noon until about 5, in all three heats. I had done probably, 15 or more runs by this point, all full out - and then it blew, white smoke coming out of the passenger side exhaust. I knew it wasn't the engine, it was running fine as I was coming back off the track, no knocking or missing, and the smoke only came out when I hit the gas. The shop I took it to confirmed that it was the turbo, it was in pretty bad shape.

Right now I'm not exactly sure why it blew, I am going to get a full report when I pick up the car.

So there's my experience with taking it to the limit lol. Hope that helps.
If the turbo's are getting oil/water and still blows.....its hard to get a straight up answer will they sometimes fail. I used my 700BB on the track for many events with zero issues....when they were removed....they looked like new.

I hardly drove my 850bb....I hve never had it on the track...and one of them fails....Its fails on the way to ZdayZ on a 40mph road. I was not even boosting it.....so who knows.

Originally Posted by thom000001
I'm still not sure on the 10:1 comp.........

The danger in detonation is far worse than the small gains you may see by raising the compression.....

Also, I didn't see any loss in low mid power by lowering my compression to 8.5:1....actually compared to stock I picked up tq down low....and then well yea it goes up quickly as the boost comes on.....

Why so concerned on the low range power anyway, when you are on the track are you EVER below 3800-4000rpm?

tom

I had the same question....why 10:1 Why not lower. and you are very correct.....on the track you can adjust where the rpms are to get the best lap times.

Last edited by XKR; 06-30-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 AM
thom000001

Mike didn't you only have the 700bb's on your setup for like 4 starts of the car lol?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I keed I keed

tom

Originally Posted by XKR
I am glad to hear that Injected is doing the work....I like Hal and Greg....they know what they are doing.

My question is...are you planning to go bigger power later? Reason i ask is...you are going with 1000cc injectors and twin pumps on a 450whp build I am a firm believer in over building....but I knew in advance i would be going for over 800whp in a year.

As far as the 700bb being use on slow corners.....I have done many events with the 700BB and small tracks and large track...and never had to go below 3rd gear. Best thing for you to do is to get a ride in a car with the 700BB.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:00 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by thom000001
Mike didn't you only have the 700bb's on your setup for like 4 starts of the car lol?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I keed I keed

tom
No ...5 starts.....remember I had to start it to drive it to FP for the 850bb ..........Funny Tom
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Compression is higher to reduce the need for higher boost pressures to obtain a similar whp. This was actually Hals idea to make the best out of a given turbo up the comp. Detonation can be kept in check with a good fuel system and the lower psi will reduce the heat and torture on the turbos. not to mention I have yet to see anyone really build along these guidelines.

The fuel system is actually not for the the build but the fun part not related, the N2O and eventual transition to E85. This is more for highway fun than track car purpose. This is still just a toy of mine and I am by no means a hardcore racer, I just enjoy doing different events and want to get into the time attack series with a well setup car.

I will be running & tuned on Q16 at any event I would ever attend that would allow it.

Hal has offered to take me for a ride in his large single turbo Z but I would be too tempted to build a highway monster
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 AM
XKR

Compression is higher to reduce the need for higher boost pressures to obtain a similar whp. This was actually Hals idea to make the best out of a given turbo up the comp. Detonation can be kept in check with a good fuel system and the lower psi will reduce the heat and torture on the turbos. not to mention I have yet to see anyone really build along these guidelines.

The fuel system is actually not for the the build but the fun part not related, the N2O and eventual transition to E85. This is more for highway fun than track car purpose. This is still just a toy of mine and I am by no means a hardcore racer, I just enjoy doing different events and want to get into the time attack series with a well setup car.

I will be running & tuned on Q16 at any event I would ever attend that would allow it.

Hal has offered to take me for a ride in his large single turbo Z but I would be too tempted to build a highway monster

Dont get me wrong....I know Hal knows his stuff....just wanted to know if you were planning to upgrade later because of the fuel system you were using....I was running the HKS 1000cc, CJM fuel and twin pump system....but I was at 800+ whp.....I upgraded from 550whp to 800whp on the same fuel setup. matter of fact I will be over 1000whp and all I will change is the 1000cc to 1200cc injectors. So I am sure you can see why i asked.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Can never have too much fuel system... I have the luxury of doing what I am advised. If 800cc works so be it. If I ever decide to run E85, I am going to need more fuel injector according to guys that are in the know...
Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Mr350Z

I have the 530 kit and track the car almost exclusively, it's gets some street time, but mostly to the track and back. I have the NISMO clutch, flywheel. Clutch has been good for roughly 10K boosted miles with no signs of slipping. I used the out-of-the-box JWT split second set-up for some time and eventually took it to Church automotive once I added methanol injection for an Osiris tune on dyno pack. I wanted a little more power (car was puttng down ~370rwhp), but as we found out, the AFR was not consistant w/ the ss box alone. With the Osiris software the car but down 392 rwhp on a conservative tune with methanol/H20 (reliability is key for me). That was peak; power under the curve in some areas is about 35 rwhp more due to the now consistant AFR of 11.7. With the SS box alone it was fluctuating up to 1.5 pts depending on rpm (10.5-12.0). We could have gone higher HP but am limited to the stock injectors. Basically running out of injector at ~6K rpm, but the meth makes up for it. Boost is right around 7 psi with a little creep. All in all - reliable and relatively fast at just over 3000 pounds. The biggest problem as some have eluded to is heat. If you drive 10/10 in over 90 degree heat, you will need an oil cooler and larger radiator. even then oil temps may hit north of 260....
Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 AM
thom000001

Ain't that the troooofffffff

short of the shop cars, and Mike's car when its done, I may have the largest fuels system out there lol.

tom

Can never have too much fuel system... I have the luxury of doing what I am advised. If 800cc works so be it. If I ever decide to run E85, I am going to need more fuel injector according to guys that are in the know...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 AM
SH Luciano

Originally Posted by XKR
Why not lower compression?? If you already have the 530bb and want to upgrade to the 700bb....call Forged performance.
I know the OP already answered this, but lower compression isn't always "necessary" for a turbo car. Apples to Oranges I agree, but the BMW 335i comes with 10.5:1 compression from the factory. I think it's more important to install strong components and have a f'in fantastic tune...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I can't think of any road courses off hand, where 2nd gear would be used. There is so much natural mid range trq with the VQ35 you wont be trading anything, from a road course standpoint.

Quick Reply: Upper Limits of JWT 530bb turbos & Clutch.