Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

An appointment to get boost, what should I ask ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hey Joe-
... my tuners have told me that having the BOV before the MAF is fine... since the air in the system has yet to be measured from the MAF...

since air is going into the engine. if you were to vent air AFTER the computer has calculated (aka BOV AFTER MAF) the car will compensate for fuel based on the amount of the air measured... if you vent off, then the car will run significantly richer..... but this is only the case if you vent to open atmosphere..

typically a turbo car is not under boost most of the time anyway and a surge/dump valve really isnt necessary... but its pretty cool hehe... from previous experiences, if you are suffereing idling problems. is because your BOV is venting TOO much air at idle and that the spring isnt holding up.....
Old 10-09-2003, 08:25 PM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Chebosto
typically a turbo car is not under boost most of the time anyway and a surge/dump valve really isnt necessary... but its pretty cool

Definitely a cool sound! But it's probably a better idea to stick with a bypass valve (recirculating, rather than blow-off to atmosphere) to prevent those air-flow miscalculations. <sigh> That's why a blow-off never worked in my Audi 1.8t engine.

As far as necessity, I'd say that some sort of a dump valve (whether blow-off or bypass) definitely *is* necessary for any turbo engine! You're absolutely right that most of the time the car isn't under boost, but when you *are* under boost and then let off the gas and that throttle body snaps shut, the turbo is still spinning and all that pressure has to go somewhere. Not having a dump valve at all means all that back pressure suddenly gets pushed back into the compressor of the turbo, causing the turbo to suddenly stop or drastically slow down. That can lead to premature bearing failure in the turbo. Ouch!
Old 10-09-2003, 08:27 PM
dazee

LOL ! My mistake, just got off the phone with Power Enterprise. Mochizuki-san is a lady sorry I called her a guy before !

Their kit is due out late November/early December, the price of almost 900,000 yen is just for the kit, no installation or tuning. If you want them to install and tune it will cost about 80,000yen extra and take about 1 week.

The kit includes 2 turbo chargers PE1420 (same as they use for the Z32), down pipes, fuel injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, air cleaner etc.

It retains the stock ECU, their own ECU is still under development. No boost controller, but add 50,000yen extra and you get that too.

Power is set at 350hp on 0.3bar of boost, maximum is 420hp at 0.5bar of boost.

Seems a better deal and alot cheaper than Top Secret. Got cut off on the phone but she will be sending me an Email detailing the tuning and guarrantee etc.

And yes it is going to be available for the USA, may even be there before they start to sell it in Japan
Old 10-09-2003, 11:05 PM
ether

wow, big disparity in install cost, I hope she didn't forget a zero.

I wonder what's up with the ECU since there are several out here in Japan already.

One thing that struck me, was the difference in HP ratings at different boost levels. The top secret one seems to generate a lot of HP at a relatively lower boost level, but they seem to be the same at higher boost levels. If that is the case, then maybe what Top Secret said of the lack of turbo lag has some credence.

humm... more to ponder on..
Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 PM
dazee

Here is the Email I just got from them. Going to make my reservation soon
Hello Darren,

Thank you for your phone call, and sorry for my poor information.
We can accept the reservation for the twin kit for Z33 now in Japan.
Our turbo kit is 898,000yen(estimation), installation at our company is
about 80,000yen and it will take about 10 days to install.
Our boost controller is 49,800yen.
The kit includes turbochargers, exhaust manifold, outlet pipe,
air cleaner, oil pan and other parts needed to install, not include a radiator
and oil cooler. We will offer an radiator by itself in next January, and it will be
69,800yen.

We recommend you to install an oil cooler as heat value of the engine will be
increased to power up.

350ps @ 0.3k (normal boost)
420ps @ 0.5k (max boost with a boost controller)

You do not change the engine, normal one is OK.
Our kit will pass the Shaken with no problem.
We do not guarantee the engine. We will quarantee the turbo kit only
for 12 months when it is installed and used properly.

Thank you very much.

Nozomi Mochizuki
Power Enterprise
Old 10-09-2003, 11:36 PM
ether

at that price.. i'm pretty sure I will be right behind you... thanks for the info
Old 10-10-2003, 04:19 AM
dazee

Just got another message from them. An invite to go and talk with their engineer on how to setup my car Probably go down there next weekend. Just have to wait a while as my contact there is having a 3 day vacation.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:33 AM
ether

If I can get out of the office, sure would like to join and see their shop, besides my Z needs some more mileage.

once you set a time, let me know I'm up for cruise to the shop

now.. where is that drunk smiley????? (note to mod: definitely need to add some drunk smilies)... off to another drinking hole
Old 10-10-2003, 02:12 PM
dazee

ether where are you in Japan ? Sounds like you are central to the Roppongi area of Tokyo. Otemachi, Akasaka, Ebisu ? One of the big banks ??
Old 10-10-2003, 02:39 PM
dazee

BTW the company is about 2-3 hours away from Tokyo heading towards Osaka, looks like using the wonderful Tomei expressway for most of it
Old 10-10-2003, 04:20 PM
ether

in Akasaka and spot on the second
Old 10-11-2003, 03:20 AM
dazee

Akasaka Park building next to TBS ?
If so and you are on a floor between if my memory is correct, floors 12-18, then I worked the same office until my accident last year. Will be there on Wednesday to visit my dentist and see a few old friends
Old 10-11-2003, 01:33 PM
apsilon

Surprised no one else has asked for this. Could you ask abuout the intake plenum? Particularly cost, expected gain on a turbo car and expected gain on NA. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:37 PM
dazee

I asked Top Secret about it and they said they would not be selling one because the Octane levels of the high octane gas we use from the pumps means that we would not get any benefit from it.

So I stopped asking about it and never thought to ask Power Enterprise about it.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:48 PM
apsilon

They may want to consider it for markets outside Japan. I'm sure there'd be interest even if there were no gains purely due to the way it looks.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:16 PM
ether

dazee,

getting closer to engine mods for my z.. quick question what kind of engine management unit are they using? also wondering if they kept the stock ecu to manage things outside of the engine.

bye the way are you still slated to go with the PE kit?