Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

aps Twin G35 oily plug and misfiring..

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 AM
forced_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question aps Twin G35 oily plug and misfiring..

Herro FI,

I'm trying to get some confirmation for a friend just want to double check with the smart folk, before I rip his chit apart

friend recently purchased a G with GTM built motor aps twins, HKS ECU, blah blah blah. it was on here the black one.

neways as predicted it jsut wasnt right when he drove it back. He changed out the plugs and it started pulling mo betta' then I took it out for a high boost run 15psi @ 51xhp and like 52xtq (opposed to 10psi with creep to 11). first i did some in gears, and then layed into hard and it just didnt feel like that much power to me at all (the car pulled smoothly no hiccups, or bucking, no hesitation even) I finally decided that I was trippin and that 500whp in 3700 pounds just isnt as fast a Z or any other lighter car. still had a weird feeling in the back of my head though...

fast foward a week

this is his first high HP car and needless to say he is still gettin comfortable, so he doesnt romp too hard on it. He turned it up to the 15lb setting last night and it started MISFIRING, got it back to his house and ONE of the PLUGS is OILY. compression tested it and they are all WITHIN 5PSI, but he did the compression test and they were all all 90-95 (i know that is ridiculously low) i so I think that he just had a out of spec tester or did something funky (I wasn't there)

I'm sayng the rings are failing under boost, he doesnt have a catch can so crankcase pressure could be it (i think that should effect more than one cylinder thought?)

Thanks in advance everyone
Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Was the motor hot or cold when he tested the compression?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 AM
forced_04

^cold
Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

That's probably why they are reading low. Built motors tend to read low anyway(looser clearances), and with it being cold, it would cause it to read even lower. Since they are all within 5psi of each other, I would suspect the bottom end is probably OK. Could be a leaky valve. Does his car smoke under boost?