Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Holy Hell!!! New GT Supercharger Price!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
datsunHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing Ive heard of is the main pulley snapping off the front of the supercharger unit. but this was in 04 awhen it first debut.since then I believed the kit has been revised. but also the reason why we here bad stories from the vortech unit is because alot more members have that unit than the HKS. Im not judging either one tho both great units
Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonnylaw snapped his idler pulley, but his is FAR from stock. And his has been the only incident i believe.

Please let's not make this a Vortech vs HKS b1tch fight. Lets just leave the vortech out of it.

Does anyone know if the HKS kit comes with the Fcon SZ or the Fcon iS?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Jonnylaw snapped his idler pulley, but his is FAR from stock. And his has been the only incident i believe.

Please let's not make this a Vortech vs HKS b1tch fight. Lets just leave the vortech out of it.

Does anyone know if the HKS kit comes with the Fcon SZ or the Fcon iS?
Best product description i have found on this unit.. still unsure if SZ translates to SC.
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/350z09d/10-1957
Description:
Introducing the long-awaited HKS Rotrex Supercharger kit for the Nissan 350Z! This direct bolt-on kit produces an 80+ Horsepower gain over stock (measured at the rear wheels), with boost set to 0.48bar (~7PSI). The supercharger is a centrifugal type that features a unique traction drive, and a closed oil circulation system. The traction drive utilizes fixed ratio planetary rollers that are more efficient then traditional gear-wheels. Because the planetary rollers do not have teeth like traditional gear-wheels, noise is decreased and reliability increased. The closed oil circulation system cycles a specially-formulated Traction Oil that lubricates and cools the supercharger, dramatically increasing longevity and reliability. The Traction Oil is cooled through an air to fluid oil cooler.

The HKS Rotrex Supercharger kit for the Nissan 350Z includes all the necessary components for a complete installation:

* HKS Rotrex Centrifugal Supercharger Unit
* Front Mount Intercooler
* S/C Controller (Engine Management w/direct plug harness)
* Traction Oil Cooler
* Tuned Cast-Aluminum Mounting Bracket (Specifically engineered to reduce noise & vibration)
* 525cc Injectors X 2
* Bolt in Fuel Pump Assembly
* Super Mega Flow Intake
* Bypass Valve
* CARB Pending

Model Guide:
Nissan 350Z

Code Guide:
Nissan Z33

Year Guide:
2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Last edited by Highway Riding; 12-10-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

That description is for the old Rotrex unit.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Ok nevermind. I just got off the phone with HKS USA, and in the US they use the older SZ, whereas in Europe and Japan we get the newer iS.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can you buy those HKS pullies from anywhere besides GTM? if not, thats what I mean by custom gtm pullies. You can buy custom vortech pullies from 928M or standard vortech pullies from numerous sources.

I think its very dangerous to buy any product with only 1 source for parts.

Not turning this is into a HKS vs Vortech. Someone was saying how the HKS makes more torque when that is not true. You take a similarly modified HKS against a similarly modified Vortech and there is no comparison. That was my only point.

Both systems definitely have their drawbacks. 4500$ MSRP for a full kit is a great price!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Bottom line, the HKS's new price is very good... now if people only knew what GTM changes in the kit to make 400whp is another question...
Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok nevermind. I just got off the phone with HKS USA, and in the US they use the older SZ, whereas in Europe and Japan we get the newer iS.
Correct, the JDM revup kit I have came with a fcon is, labeled gt supercharger z33 on the box

Last edited by jonnylaw; 12-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Hey Jonny. You've got the revup right? And you got your revup kit from Japan? Did they have to do any mechanical modifications to fit the kit due to the left hand drive, or was it purely to fit it on a G35?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:38 PM
jonnylaw

Hey Jonny. You've got the revup right? And you got your revup kit from Japan? Did they have to do any mechanical modifications to fit the kit due to the left hand drive, or was it purely to fit it on a G35?
Yes revup kit from Japan. Not sure on the extent of the modifications needed to make it fit my G35 or if anything needed to be done about LHD/RHD. GTM took care of all of that
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice clean looking setup jonnylaw. This kit has way more appeal at this price than it ever has. Good Stuff!
Old 12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Ok. So i've been speaking to HKS Europe, and apparently there are no mechanical differences between the revup and non-revup kits. I think one of the two comes with more injectors, but other than that the only difference is the tune supplied by HKS. So, there should be no reason why you can't get the non-revup kit, stick it on your revup, and then have an HKS pro dealer write you a new map. Or just use your own EMS.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 PM
tiguy99

Now this sounds great! Thanks Rev2Red. I remember reading about this yesterday and wondering what kind of options the revup folks have.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Lee R

I'm totally biased because I own one but I think everyone needs to understand that HKS set out to build a self contained, reliable, and efficient supercharger. Not just any old rumbling oil sucking WHP beast (not that there is anything wrong with that ). They spent lots of money for CARB certification. It's a total daily driver and sleeper (runs rather quiet)....until you really step on it! There are plenty of ways for you to make more HP with this unit but just plain out of the box it is quite remarkable.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:44 PM
tiguy99

Now that's a nice pic ^ ^. Looks straight out of a catalog
Old 12-19-2009, 10:46 PM
jonnylaw

Ok. So i've been speaking to HKS Europe, and apparently there are no mechanical differences between the revup and non-revup kits. I think one of the two comes with more injectors, but other than that the only difference is the tune supplied by HKS. So, there should be no reason why you can't get the non-revup kit, stick it on your revup, and then have an HKS pro dealer write you a new map. Or just use your own EMS.
I'm fairly certain that the HKS S/C mounting bracket for the revup is different than the non-revup.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:21 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

The more detailed explanation i got was that the non-revup full kit and the pro kit have the same blower and bracket. And the pro-kit has the same part number for the non-revup and the revup, so therefore the bracket must be the same for all applications.

The only time the part number changes on the pro kit is when you get the skyline coupe kit, which is the G35.

Last edited by ReV2Red; 12-20-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:32 AM
jonnylaw

The more detailed explanation i got was that the non-revup full kit and the pro kit have the same blower and bracket. And the pro-kit has the same part number for the non-revup and the revup, so therefore the bracket must be the same for all applications.

The only time the part number changes on the pro kit is when you get the skyline coupe kit, which is the G35.
There is a different part number for the revup kit: 12001-AN007

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/...an003_5_7.html

And unless HKSUSA and SAM@GTM were wrong when I was buying mine, a revup owner who buys a non revup kit might have problems when it comes to the mounting bracket.

About the part numbers for the pro-I'm a little confused when I go on HKSJapan website. If what HKSEurope says is true, than that's good news for prospective HKS SC revup owners but makes me feel cheated, as I was told by HKSUSA and 2 reputable HKS prodealers that the only option I had was to spend the extra $$ and wait the extra 2-3 months to get the revup kit from Japan.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 12-20-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:58 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Yes, there are different part numbers for the full kit, because they have different tunes on the Fcon iS, and i think maybe different injector sizes or numbers. But the pro kits share the exact same part number for both the revup and the non-revup.

I'm not going to say you where cheated, they might have just overlooked it. I had to correct a guy from HKS Europe about some of the features of the Camp2 because he didn't know much about it. So they don't always know everything, especially when it's something new, or they don't sell much of. Its a bit strange that they had to modify your kit when there is quite clearly already a kit made for your car on the HKS website. Unless there are differences between the skyline coupe and the G35. But as far as im aware, there the same car.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:02 PM
jonnylaw

I dunno, it is somewhat disconcerning, when HKSUSA and GTM knew I was going to upgrade the ems and injectors anyway, so I guess I paid more $$ and waiting much longer for no real reason?

However, I do remember at the time I ordered, the HKSjapan website had a different product description (no full page of "pro kits") for the S/C than what is on there now. There was no option at the time for a revup skyline.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 12-21-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Holy Hell!!! New GT Supercharger Price!