Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Holy Hell!!! New GT Supercharger Price!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
His post seems to indicate that he was running out of fuel w/out the Walbro, so Jared installed one for him..
ahh gotcha! still good power. What were the tq numbers? ( going back to read if i missed it lol )
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM
mysterymann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know when the new pulleys and blowers are going to be sold?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
How about the MAF? Did that max out this time?
Upgraded PMAS was fine

His post seems to indicate that he was running out of fuel w/out the Walbro, so Jared installed one for him..
Correct. Not sure what the specs are on the HKS supplied fuel pump but it couldn't keep up in the upper RPM range.
I still can't explain why it's seeing 9 psi if it's only supposed to hit 6 or 7 but with the way it ran last weekend I'm not complaining!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Sfarrah:
Any in car vids? Seems like you are very satisfied.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by sfarrah
Upgraded PMAS was fine

Correct. Not sure what the specs are on the HKS supplied fuel pump but it couldn't keep up in the upper RPM range.
I still can't explain why it's seeing 9 psi if it's only supposed to hit 6 or 7 but with the way it ran last weekend I'm not complaining!
Ah right. So it was your fuel pressure that was dropping was it? If thats the case then maybe that why your running out of injectors. ???

Good to see that the PMAS works well.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 AM
kelly350Z

Default AFR's?

Now that this thread has gone into a fueling discussion, I've noticed my afr's are leaning out only during idling for a while, ie not during stop-and-go traffic and/or at traffic lights. I've had the kit installed for about two weeks now, it drives fine, and the afr's are what i would expect during normal, moderate and full throttle. The afr's slowly richen up as boost builds and holds steady at about 11.7-11.8 at about 6-7 psi. Its only when i've been idling for a while that I now notice the afr's slowly creep up to 16's for a few seconds and then go back down to around 14.7. I have kept a good eye on these readings since the install and this was not the case during the first few days after the install during idling...
I have been giving the stock ecu some time to relearn before getting it dynoed with the kit on, and in fact my car feels nice and peppy now. No check engine lights, no hesitation, no noticeable misfires at any time, RPM is nice and stable as always.
Did some searching and found a good thread by binder. I will scan for any codes (soft ones) during idling and go from there. I would think it is the stock ecu running my idle, but I am unsure.
Anyone here also with a stock ecu tuning and out-of-the-box HKS tuning with similar "characteristics"? I don't have any symptoms of anything being wrong at the time.
The kits is awesome by the way!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:28 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AFR at idle doesnt matter at all if the car is idling steady. there is zero load. you'll know if its too lean or rich bc it will stumble. dont worry about it.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM
kelly350Z

Originally Posted by str8dum1
AFR at idle doesnt matter at all if the car is idling steady. there is zero load. you'll know if its too lean or rich bc it will stumble. dont worry about it.
This is the general concensus that I am getting from my trusted mechanic, however he doesn't have any hands on experience with an aftermarket boosted car. Thanks for the reply, I figured it wouldn't matter too much as long as my car is not symptomatic.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
tiguy99

Would it be safe to say, adding a basic fuel return, larger injectors and Walbro 255 you should be able to overcome any fuel issues?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Would it be safe to say, adding a basic fuel return, larger injectors and Walbro 255 you should be able to overcome any fuel issues?
Larger injectors (>440) and walbro solved the issue for me. Not using a fuel return setup at this time.
The basic kit should suffice and it would be nice to hear some feedback from others that installed it as shipped from HKS, but for some reason I was running out of fuel.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
tiguy99

Larger injectors (>440) and walbro solved the issue for me. Not using a fuel return setup at this time.
The basic kit should suffice and it would be nice to hear some feedback from others that installed it as shipped from HKS, but for some reason I was running out of fuel.
That's good to know. I also notice your numbers are higher than the typical out of the box numbers GTM posts on their site. It puts your kit around their stage 2 configuration numbers yet it seems the only differences you between your configuration are your two extra injectors in the plenum, larger fuel pump and Osirus tune?

Did you add the two extra injectors for better fuel delivery or was it something done to help make more power? This is the first I've heard of it.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
sfarrah

Did you add the two extra injectors for better fuel delivery or was it something done to help make more power? This is the first I've heard of it.
I upgraded all 6 injectors and opted not to use the additional injectors supplied with the hit. There are a few reasons for this.
1. I didn't want the restriction of the additional injectors in the intake plenum
2. I wanted to simplify the setup by removing the additional injectors, the associated wiring and T'ing of the fuel line and the use of the FCON
3. I wanted to use Osiris to tune the car and have an easy way to switch maps depending on the weight of the car, the class I'm racing in and the tires I use. Osiris will be easier for me to swap maps quickly at the track and I now have less possible failure points. I'm instructing with NASA this year and I need the car to be as reliable as possible since racing and instructing doesn't leave much time to mess with the car if issues arise. With my current setup I believe I have achieved this, along with my power goals. Only takes a few minutes with the laptop to switch to any of the three maps Jared created for me when he tuned it.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
tiguy99

I upgraded all 6 injectors and opted not to use the additional injectors supplied with the hit. There are a few reasons for this.
1. I didn't want the restriction of the additional injectors in the intake plenum
2. I wanted to simplify the setup by removing the additional injectors, the associated wiring and T'ing of the fuel line and the use of the FCON
3. I wanted to use Osiris to tune the car and have an easy way to switch maps depending on the weight of the car, the class I'm racing in and the tires I use. Osiris will be easier for me to swap maps quickly at the track and I now have less possible failure points. I'm instructing with NASA this year and I need the car to be as reliable as possible since racing and instructing doesn't leave much time to mess with the car if issues arise. With my current setup I believe I have achieved this, along with my power goals. Only takes a few minutes with the laptop to switch to any of the three maps Jared created for me when he tuned it.
I know some guys gripe about Osirus on FI (mostly turbo setup) bc of lack of overboost/knock protection but I haven't heard of people saying anything about using Osirus for the S/C.

That's good to know its working out great especially with this setup in particular! You and I both have similar build goals in mind and reliability is king to me. Occasional spirited runs on some back roads and maybe a few track days out the year

I'm in for the video clips if you ever decide to post any. It would be great to see this kit in action. I don't think anyone around here has one yet

Last edited by tiguy99; 02-09-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 PM
sfarrah

Knock protection will be similar to whatever you get stock, but a SC should never have issues with overboost since it's a set ratio based on pulley sizes.

Here are a couple in car vids from the race weekend. Camera crapped out on race 2 and 4 and now I can't even get it to turn on. Looks like I need a new setup for the next race weekend. Still need to upload the dyno charts.
Little rusty behind the wheel but I was driving better by the end of the weekend.

<object width="800" height="450"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9146538&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_ title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00AD EF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9146538&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_ title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00AD EF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="800" height="450"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/9146538">NASA TX Race#1 MSR-Houston Jan30, 2010</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user786756">Sean Farrah</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<object width="800" height="450"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9139891&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_ title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00AD EF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9139891&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_ title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00AD EF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="800" height="450"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/9139891">NASA TX Race#3 MSR-Houston Jan31, 2010</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user786756">Sean Farrah</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Those stoptech's sure are doing there job! You can seriously spank them in the braking, but it just looks like they have more power than you on the straights.

Nice driving!

Last edited by ReV2Red; 02-09-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM
tiguy99

I was thinking the same thing at first then I can see in the second video how it he was more aggresive vs in the first clip where he was taking it more easier.

BUT then again, look at his opponents...a GT3, an F430 (I think)...not sure what the white/red/green Ferrari was and the red car...

All super fast in their own rights.... Kudos good to see your Z now hanging with the big boys. I was embarrassed back in May during my Autobahn track day my car was mostly stock with what HFCs, an ISO spacer and Fast Intentions CB exhaust...

Looking fwd to going back this spring with boost and a better suspension! Can't wait woot!!!!!

Last edited by tiguy99; 02-09-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I was thinking the same thing at first then I can see in the second video how it he was more aggresive vs in the first clip where he was taking it more easier.

BUT then again, look at his opponents...a GT3, an F430 (I think)...not sure what the white/red/green Ferrari was and the red car...

All super fast in their own rights.... Kudos good to see your Z now hanging with the big boys. I was embarrassed back in May during my Autobahn track day my car was mostly stock with what HFCs, an ISO spacer and Fast Intentions CB exhaust...

Looking fwd to going back this spring with boost and a better suspension! Can't wait woot!!!!!
Keep in mind the gt3 cup cars and 430 challange cars weigh less than his car and even the gt3 probably still makes 25-30whp more than his car. Those 997 cup cars and 430 challenges are FAST. Excellent driving as always. It seems like in the two vids you were able to keep the 355 challenge behind. I saw he posted on scca forums, and it seems you two were damn close in hot lap time.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Keep in mind the gt3 cup cars and 430 challange cars weigh less than his car and even the gt3 probably still makes 25-30whp more than his car. Those 997 cup cars and 430 challenges are FAST. Excellent driving as always. It seems like in the two vids you were able to keep the 355 challenge behind. I saw he posted on scca forums, and it seems you two were damn close in hot lap time.
Definitely...I was thinking the same thing about the 997 and 430 challenge cars when I saw the clips.

On that track, it appears that alot of it comes down to driving skill and maneuvering around the bends (w/o crashing of course) vs straight out ***** to the wall whp on the straights.

I mean how many times did he have a chance to even pass his competitors up? I counted a few of them & when he did he had a challenge car in front of him making it more difficult then wham...gotta slow down to make this turn.

Looked like ALOT of fun and motivation for spring to hurry up and get here. Jesus I hate the snow outside my window even more now
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys!

I just bought an used stage gtm spec hks s/c kit with the 10 psi pulley but no fuel/engine management and injectors. I'm planning on getting 600cc or 750cc injectors, AAM basic fuel return system, walbro fuel pump, UTEC(or fcon vpro if I find a deal on an used kit, still undecided and I also have to check with the tuner)

Do you guys recommend anything else besides the egt, boost, oil pressure gauges?

Thx in advance!

Ariel

Edit: not expecting or aiming high WHP Dyno numbers... and the link of the sc i bought:
https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...ec-feeler.html

Last edited by ITOzann; 02-11-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 PM
sfarrah

Default Dyno sheets

All graphs are SAE smoothing factor 5.

345 HP, highest it put down.

319 HP, what I ran at the track last weekend. Will be for my 275 DOT-R setup.

295 HP, will be my setup when running the Hoosier 265 R-100's

Jared kept the AF the same for all tunes and just pulled timing on the top end to restrict power to the levels I needed. Car will still pull hard from the lower rpm's but just won't have the same juice at the top end. This is exactly what I wanted when I chose this Supercharger and decided to use Osiris to tune. Thank you Jared and Richard at UpRev!

Quick Reply: Holy Hell!!! New GT Supercharger Price!