Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Low Octane tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thawk408
^
400hp is weak, buy a vette. Way easier.
but then you would own a vette

why is 400 weak? at what point do the numbers become respectable?

My car is 500-550whp depending on the dyno and it can be down right dangerous at times. I would be just as happy with 100 less hp.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:50 PM
MidnightSunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
Can I ask why 650? Do you know what 400 hp feels like? or 500?

Just curious because IMHO the sweet spot for these cars is mid 400's. Plenty streetable, plenty fast/powerfull enough to have traction issues. At 600+ it just seems the power is wasted unless you have very specific goals/intentions for the car
The most Ive felt is 450rwhp in a supercharged mustang (originally thats was what I wanted to mod, but a Z is just superior) I got to cruise in for a few hours. It was brutal, dangerous, eye-popping...and AWESOME! And Im aiming for 650 because I honestly think that SOMETHING will happen that will prevent that from happening, but even if I fall short by 100, then the fact is 550rwhp is still ridiculously fast. and Im tryin to get a sleeper car (exhaust and BOV nonwithstanding), bone stock exterior, but a Viper killer engine ready at my command
And in the end, it comes down to one reason, the one reason anyone really modifies their car to this extreme, "Because I want to."
Im glad it does sound like my goals can be attained with proper tuning

Last edited by MidnightSunZ; 12-18-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:05 PM
thawk408

but then you would own a vette

why is 400 weak? at what point do the numbers become respectable?

My car is 500-550whp depending on the dyno and it can be down right dangerous at times. I would be just as happy with 100 less hp.
Dont see anythign wrong with a vette. I dont see how 400rwhp is a sweet spot, I got down right bored with 19psi. 4 digits.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Zivman

Dont see anythign wrong with a vette. I dont see how 400rwhp is a sweet spot, I got down right bored with 19psi. 4 digits.
everyone has a vette..... and yes, I understand, now days a lot of people have Z's as well.

too bad for you that you got bored with 19 psi.... seems nothing will please you then. For the most part, what the hell can you do with even 500 hp? My car pulls insanely till the speedo is buried...every gear, every rpm. Heck, I have had it fishtailing down the highway in 5th gear at 70... at what point is enough enough?

99.9% of us can't even get the most out of 300hp, let alone 500, or even 600+. The hp is a moot point, which I see ever more clearly now. With the proper setup, balance, suspension, wheels/tires mean more than a **** ton of power. Don't get me wrong, the feeling of a hard pull in 3rd or 4th is hard to match, but heck, I have had as much fun driving a honda fit as I have my Z, granted the fit was at a much slower speed.

Last edited by Zivman; 12-18-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Zivman

and one other thing to point out, I will not pretend to know the road conditions in Alaska, but I can assume temps are cold for a good part of the year. I live in MN and we have decently cold weather 5 months out of the year. Once temps drop below 50, my car is basically useless. You can putts around town, but that's about it....

I don't want to sound discouraging, but I only put a 1000 miles on my car this year. Granted it was a lot to do with my work, but my driving season was really short this year due to colder than normal temps in late october. I put my car in storage almost 6 wks early this year
Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM
thawk408

everyone has a vette..... and yes, I understand, now days a lot of people have Z's as well.

too bad for you that you got bored with 19 psi.... seems nothing will please you then. For the most part, what the hell can you do with even 500 hp? My car pulls insanely till the speedo is buried...every gear, every rpm. Heck, I have had it fishtailing down the highway in 5th gear at 70... at what point is enough enough?

99.9% of us can't even get the most out of 300hp, let alone 500, or even 600+. The hp is a moot point, which I see ever more clearly now. With the proper setup, balance, suspension, wheels/tires mean more than a **** ton of power. Don't get me wrong, the feeling of a hard pull in 3rd or 4th is hard to match, but heck, I have had as much fun driving a honda fit as I have my Z, granted the fit was at a much slower speed.
I see more z then do I vettes. It is to bad, cause this game isnt cheap. I will be please when im running with t-6 supras.

Your car pulls hard, sweet....I would get bored. Fishtailing on what tires? Like the rest of this community that doesnt understand you can not have street tires, traction, and power in the same sentence. Its absolutely kills me when people brag about spinning tires. Spinning tires is the last thing I want to do, and proves nothing about how fast the car goes.

Get the proper tires, suspension, and gears to hook your power and then it doent matter how much power you have. My friends supra hooks 800rwhp on the street from 2nd gear, and yes it's a hoot to drive.

Last edited by thawk408; 12-18-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Zivman

I see more z then do I vettes.

In my area everyone has a vette... heck I live out the rural farm area and 2 of my neighbors have vettes. I see Z's but not too often. becoming more common the cheaper they get

It is to bad, cause this game isnt cheap. I will be please when im running with t-6 supras.

Your car pulls hard, sweet....I would get bored. Fishtailing on what tires? Like the rest of this community that doesnt understand you can not have street tires, traction, and power in the same sentence. Its absolutely kills me when people brag about spinning tires. Spinning tires is the last thing I want to do, and proves nothing about how fast the car goes.

KDWs
Vredestein
Kuhmo MX

Get the proper tires, suspension, and gears to hook your power and then it doent matter how much power you have. My friends supra hooks 800rwhp on the street from 2nd gear, and yes it's a hoot to drive.
I feel I am decently setup. have had a custom allignment on tein coilovers with custom rear springs. I have two current sets of street wheels/tires and a set of drag radials on a pair of wheels. Also have a 3.3 fd. Don't know how much more there is I can do
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 PM
thawk408

And those are street tires, which is my exact point. I rode around with 305/35/18 Nitto DR's, which are not the best drag radial but get good milage. I would hook in 2nd on hot days, but 3rd always. I also have Hotchkis springs/sways with factory shocks, so it can squat, but if I crank the sways up it handles very well also.

With the new tires Toyo, MT, and M&H have to offer you can find a good sticky tire that will hook and still be street friendly. Exp since you only drive your car 1000 miles a year, I wouldnt even bother with street tires.

Last edited by thawk408; 12-18-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:50 PM
MidnightSunZ

and one other thing to point out, I will not pretend to know the road conditions in Alaska, but I can assume temps are cold for a good part of the year. I live in MN and we have decently cold weather 5 months out of the year. Once temps drop below 50, my car is basically useless. You can putts around town, but that's about it....

I don't want to sound discouraging, but I only put a 1000 miles on my car this year. Granted it was a lot to do with my work, but my driving season was really short this year due to colder than normal temps in late october. I put my car in storage almost 6 wks early this year
Nope, you're right on bout that. No way I'd drive modded RWD car in the winter. This is a summer car. Driving that thing around inthe winter would put Tokyo Drift to shame right before I wrapped it around a pole
Old 12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Zivman

And those are street tires, which is my exact point. I rode around with 305/35/18 Nitto DR's, which are not the best drag radial but get good milage. I would hook in 2nd on hot days, but 3rd always. I also have Hotchkis springs/sways with factory shocks, so it can squat, but if I crank the sways up it handles very well also.

With the new tires Toyo, MT, and M&H have to offer you can find a good sticky tire that will hook and still be street friendly. Exp since you only drive your car 1000 miles a year, I wouldnt even bother with street tires.
I have MT drags.... they need a burnout to stick. Not all that street friendly in my experience when you have to a burnout before boosting.

last year it was a 1000 miles. drove it 5k the year before. Depends on work and weather.

I guess my point is, build something moderate vs building something wild. It will save a few bucks, and you will end up with a much more streetable and enjoyable car. Not having to worry about your meth system being full or malfunctioning. It is a huge benefit being able to just go to the gas pump down the road and fill up. That was a big thing for me. Sure I could have pushed to 18-20 psi with race gas, but what's the point on a street car?

Last edited by Zivman; 12-18-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM
thawk408

Then give them alittle spin and go, you dont have to do a john force burnout on the street.

I tried mild, got bored. I think the sweet spot is around 800-900rwhp.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Zivman

Then give them alittle spin and go, you dont have to do a john force burnout on the street.

I tried mild, got bored. I think the sweet spot is around 800-900rwhp.
What the heck is 600+ good for when you were running mid 11's with it even at the track? That is my point. Who gives a **** when you have 600 hp if you can't do anything with it.

Like the old joke... what does a 300 hp supra have in common with an 800 hp supra?

They both run 13's

I got a buddy that runs his toyota corolla drag car in the nines with around 400. It is about SOOO much more than HP
Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I got a buddy that runs his toyota corolla drag car in the nines with around 400. It is about SOOO much more than HP
So true , but he can't brag to others that he has 600hp.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by terrasmak
So true , but he can't brag to others that he has 600hp.
With his new setup, he actually might

Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Dayum

I see more z then do I vettes. It is to bad, cause this game isnt cheap.
Funny... I see more vettes than Z's.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Spork
^ Dayum

That turbo is about as big around as a basketball. 5" exhaust outlet!

The vettes are definitely more common in our area. A Z car is fairly rare here, but like I said, becoming more common as they become cheaper
Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep small children and animals away when that thing spools.

Yeah I really don't get why vettes are so much more common up here than it is other places. It seems everyone gets them once they hit 50 years of age to make a statement or something.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 PM
thawk408

What the heck is 600+ good for when you were running mid 11's with it even at the track? That is my point. Who gives a **** when you have 600 hp if you can't do anything with it.

Like the old joke... what does a 300 hp supra have in common with an 800 hp supra?

They both run 13's

If your so good at digging up old thread you should also read in that article that I had ZERO traction with the shittastic nitto DR's. Hell I was cutting 2.0 60s and still running mid 11s at 132+. Give me a good 16 inch MT or M&H and I would have busted mid 10s wide open. FACT.

Dont be so sad cause my "weak" car blast through yours all day long. If your content with your slow car, then thats fine. You can argue with me till your blue in the face and you will still never hear me say 600hp > 900hp, unless were talking about purpose built cars such as roadracing, but all out fun....no. But then again im use to "fast" cars. Maybe one day you will see the light.

That joke is so old and dumb, I give you less credit now for saying it.

No crap man, its a corolla!! You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! It probably weighs 2200 lbs. Jesus christ someone get this man a beer! LOL

Last edited by thawk408; 12-18-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 PM
thawk408

With his new setup, he actually might

OMG whats the point of that! HP is stupid!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:59 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Spork
^ Dayum

Where I live its almost like every highschool punk gets their dad to get them an 03-04 Z.

Quick Reply: Low Octane tips