Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Low Octane tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mix up your own high octane gas using toluene. Any paint store should sell toluene by the 5 gal contaner. Toluene is 114 octane so mix enough in with the 90 to get 93 or whatever you want. You can also use Xylene which is 116 octane. I mix up high octane gas for my boat and have used it in my car for a while now as well. The fuel used in Formula 1 is 85% toluene it used to be 100% toluene but they lowered the maximum octane you can run so had to cut the toluene with something and lower the percentage of toluene.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 12-18-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 AM
MidnightSunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
With his new setup, he actually might

Damn...does that turbo have twin impellers to get around turbo lag? Thats ridiculous
Old 12-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thawk408
OMG whats the point of that! HP is stupid!
that's just it, it has a specific purpose being a drag car
Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 AM
Zivman

If your so good at digging up old thread you should also read in that article that I had ZERO traction with the shittastic nitto DR's. Hell I was cutting 2.0 60s and still running mid 11s at 132+. Give me a good 16 inch MT or M&H and I would have busted mid 10s wide open. FACT.
That is exactly my point. HP doesn't mean much when you need a million other things, and the skill to use it

Dont be so sad cause my "weak" car blast through yours all day long. If your content with your slow car, then thats fine. You can argue with me till your blue in the face and you will still never hear me say 600hp > 900hp, unless were talking about purpose built cars such as roadracing, but all out fun....no. But then again im use to "fast" cars. Maybe one day you will see the light.

Never said your car is weak, but I will take your word for it. And no, I don't think my car is slow.... ummm, so there we have it

That joke is so old and dumb, I give you less credit now for saying it.

No crap man, its a corolla!! You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! It probably weighs 2200 lbs. Jesus christ someone get this man a beer! LOL
Actually I think it weighs under 2000 lbs... and I don't drink beer; thanks though
Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by MidnightSunZ
Damn...does that turbo have twin impellers to get around turbo lag? Thats ridiculous
it is a twin scroll
Old 12-20-2009, 10:16 AM
thawk408

that's just it, it has a specific purpose being a drag car
And others have specific purpose without being an all out drag car. Its called having fun, being bit by the HP bug, and pushing the limits of a street car.

You want this community to grow it is going to have to push the limits to see what works and what fails. I actually use to think like you when my car was stock and about to be turboed, but after feeling the power of a very high HP street car, I was hooked. The feeling is pretty awesome, just knowing you have harnessed all that power.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 AM
thawk408

That is exactly my point. HP doesn't mean much when you need a million other things, and the skill to use it
This is my EXACT point, which you have failed to see. I know HP doesnt mean squat if you can't harness it, thats why I said you need to stop messing around with street tires, its dumb and dangerous.

That was my first time to take the car to the track and I went on tires that I did not know if they would hook in 1st gear or not. I figured the VHT might give them a chance, but I was wrong. If I would of had a tire that hooks, and yes they are out there, I would have never had a problem with spinning and ALL the power would of put straight the ground.

Last edited by thawk408; 12-20-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM
fklentz

If you take the cats out you could run 100LL from a local airport. I used to run 115/145 in my Porsche, good stuff but no longer available.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM
MidnightSunZ

Originally Posted by fklentz
If you take the cats out you could run 100LL from a local airport. I used to run 115/145 in my Porsche, good stuff but no longer available.
I actualy never even considered that. But the first thing that lept to mind when you said that was Peter Griffin from Family Guy filling his redneck pickup truck with jet fuel after imagining him and his truck flying around like in Top Gun
Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that stuff is not DOT taxed, so good luck getting it if you dont have a plane.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Boostedtrack350

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Mix up your own high octane gas using toluene. Any paint store should sell toluene by the 5 gal contaner. Toluene is 114 octane so mix enough in with the 90 to get 93 or whatever you want. You can also use Xylene which is 116 octane. I mix up high octane gas for my boat and have used it in my car for a while now as well. The fuel used in Formula 1 is 85% toluene it used to be 100% toluene but they lowered the maximum octane you can run so had to cut the toluene with something and lower the percentage of toluene.
So whats the formula you use for your car? How much do you mix at a time? Do you think I would need a separate tune for the higher octane setup?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by str8dum1
that stuff is not DOT taxed, so good luck getting it if you dont have a plane.
i never had a problem (filling a remote tank)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LMFAO @ Zivman calling out thawk about running 600whp and mid 11's!

Pretty funny, now he wants 4 digits! Maybe a 10 sec pass now?

If you need DR's to hook up in 2nd gear @ 600whp on the street you are doing something WRONG.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The formula for mixing is easy. If you want 15 gallons of 98 octane take 10 gallons of 90 octane and 5 gallons of toluene which is 114 octane. After the mix you will have 15 gallons of 98 octane. Adjust the formula as necessary to achieve your desired octane rating. I mix a tankfull at a time. A seperate tune would be necessary to getthe benefit of the higher octane.

Don't use AVGAS in a car. It contains massive amounts of lead and is designed with properties for air cooled engines since the fuel evaporation does much of the cylinder cooling.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 12-22-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can mix up to 30% xylene or toulene. You'd only need a retune if you wanted to bump the timing to take advantage of the increased octane. but if you just wanted to be safe, no new tune would be needed.

Originally Posted by Boostedtrack350
So whats the formula you use for your car? How much do you mix at a time? Do you think I would need a separate tune for the higher octane setup?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:23 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Alberto
LMFAO @ Zivman calling out thawk about running 600whp and mid 11's!

Pretty funny, now he wants 4 digits! Maybe a 10 sec pass now?

If you need DR's to hook up in 2nd gear @ 600whp on the street you are doing something WRONG.
No, this time will be with 16inch M&H's or MT's. How could I possibly be doing something wrong? Steet tires suck, plain and simple. My 19psi map came in very violent and 2nd gear would not always hook with the 305 nitto DR's, but most of the time it would. Most people iv seen complain about the Nitto's not being able to 60ft for d!ck and 18inch none the less, which I can attest to.

Yes, I want 4 digits. Flame on. Ill send you a pic of the board with 9s at 150+.

Last edited by thawk408; 12-22-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM
fklentz

I was thinking maybe a 5 gal splash of 100LL with a fill of the best pump gas available. I've never had a problem filling a jerry can for off road vehicles. Pumping into a car would be a problem I'd think. Jet fuel would not work, kind of between diesel and kerosene.

Last edited by fklentz; 12-22-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, this time will be with 16inch M&H's or MT's. How could I possibly be doing something wrong? Steet tires suck, plain and simple. My 19psi map came in very violent and 2nd gear would not always hook with the 305 nitto DR's, but most of the time it would. Most people iv seen complain about the Nitto's not being able to 60ft for d!ck and 18inch none the less, which I can attest to.

Yes, I want 4 digits. Flame on. Ill send you a pic of the board with 9s at 150+.
Im not flaming you or your goals, I sometimes laugh at your attitude.

You say 850-900whp is a sweet spot for the street. Have you driven a VQ @ those power levels? You cant base what one car/chassis/setup (your friends Supra) can do and assume it will be the same in a Z33.

That is all. You talk tons about 4 digits, and thats cool if its your goal, but in my mind and many others you never even came close to optimizing your setup at 600whp, now add 400+whp and what do you expect us to expect?

Talk is cheap, just do it, and when you do run 9's @ 150mph I'll tell you congrats thats what you SHOULD run....

I can hook up 19" STREET tires @ 600whp in 2nd in the summer, if you couldnt something was off.

Last edited by Alberto; 12-23-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Alberto
Im not flaming you or your goals, I sometimes laugh at your attitude.

You say 850-900whp is a sweet spot for the street. Have you driven a VQ @ those power levels? You cant base what one car/chassis/setup (your friends Supra) can do and assume it will be the same in a Z33.

That is all. You talk tons about 4 digits, and thats cool if its your goal, but in my mind and many others you never even came close to optimizing your setup at 600whp, now add 400+whp and what do you expect us to expect?

Talk is cheap, just do it, and when you do run 9's @ 150mph I'll tell you congrats thats what you SHOULD run....

I can hook up 19" STREET tires @ 600whp in 2nd in the summer, if you couldnt something was off.
Laugh if you must, I find it laughable how everyone thinks 600rwhp is gods gift to horsepower. Nope enver driven a VQ at those levels because they are few and far between. Hal is the only person that comes to mind thats within a 500 miles radius of me that has a car like that. Power is power tho, and torque is torque. If the car is setup to hook the power, it doesnt matter what motor it is.

Im not building my car to be a 1/4 queen, and honestly could care less what it runs, but yes I will take it to the track. Kinda messes with you when you see a guy wreck his brand new gt500 and then insurance tells him to fukc off cause he was on a drag strip. Mine has also informed me that if I wreck on 1/4, it will not be covered. Call me a b!tch for thinking that way, but Iv put way to much time and money in this car to lose it all over some dumb 1/4 bragging rights on a board with a bunch of clueless memebers to begin with.

I want to push the limits of the motor basicly and see what it can hold. If you want to bash me for trying to put the community foward, since I cant run a sick 1/4 times , be my guest. Talk is cheap and if you want to see my car, then be my guest and come down and take a look. My attitude is not all serious on the entire subject, I just find is funny to mess with people who think some of these cars is the fastest thing ever made. Have to keep entertained on this board, or I would probably never visit it, as iv done for several months in the past.

Honestly, I have no idea how you hook on 19s in 2nd with stree tires, but you do have a 3.3 and I didnt at the time, but good for you. Street tires were never made to hook that much power, and no one I know that has power can hook on street tires in a decently low gear. Just because I cant hook does not mean I am doing anything wrong, if the tire cant hook and the suspension is not garbage, then the tire simply cant put the traction to the ground. Maybe you have one of tho's unicorn setups.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where I live its almost like every highschool punk gets their dad to get them an 03-04 Z.
Where you live, everyone is related through incestuous family relationships.

Quick Reply: Low Octane tips