Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Audible Knocking above 3K RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:32 PM
citymunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thom000001
Thats what I was thinking.....eeeeekkkk..

drain the oil and pull the pan and see if you can tell anything from underneath.

Tom
I'll be sure to check all I can in there. Somebody also mention the
windage tray could have became loose, due to the fact that it is not heard
at lower RPMs

Originally Posted by JCat
Oil Pressure normal ?

Can you have a friend pin-point or narrow down the noise origin while you increase the engine RPMs ?
I was standing over the engine that night, and it is really hard to pin-point where the sound is coming from. All I know that Is it 100% coming from the engine, not the exhaust.

Originally Posted by thom000001
does it still make the noise when you just rev it in neutral? or is it only under load?

tom
Yes, If I was to Rev in neutral, it still makes the noise.

Originally Posted by rocks
This is what I suggest you do. Make a mechanics stethoscope, listen to each side of the engine at idle when it is making the noise, and have someone rev the car slowly when your under the hood and listen to where it comes from. Also if you could make another video at idle it would help. I took the bass out of my speakers and it could possibly be an exhaust leak at the manifold. Mine did sound similar to that when i had a blown header gasket. The video inside the car is going to muffle the sound to make a good video diagnoses. I went through 3 aftermarket gaskets until i went to nissan and bought an oem one, learned my lesson.
That what I was thinking, I need to see if my friend has one.

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Citymunky are you ever gonna let us know what you found.
I haven't had time to look. I'm one of the few that didn't take Holiday vacation, and being in the military, is a little to late to try to take from work.
Also I need to bring the car to the Auto Hobby Shop on base, so I can work on it. Not having a garage FTL. As soon as I find something I'll post something.

I'll also post another video tomorrow during idle.

Last edited by citymunky; 12-22-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously sounds like rod knock man...be careful you don't blow one through your block. If you throw a rod your block or damage the crank, you are going to add thousands to the repair/rebuild bill. If metal is in your oil you are also going to destroy your turbos/sc bearings...

If I were you I would stop driving it and immediately send your oil out for analysis to make sure your internals are fine..then keep troubleshooting once you've ruled that out.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Last edited by djamps; 12-23-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
citymunky

Originally Posted by djamps
Seriously sounds like rod knock man...be careful you don't blow one through your block. If you throw a rod your block or damage the crank, you are going to add thousands to the repair/rebuild bill. If metal is in your oil you are also going to destroy your turbos/sc bearings...

If I were you I would stop driving it and immediately send your oil out for analysis to make sure your internals are fine..then keep troubleshooting once you've ruled that out.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
I haven't drove the car since the video, also I was planning on using Blackstone.

In the meantime I had to pick up a beater car.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, really sorry to hear about the car. Sounds like you've done the right thing though by not driving it until you can get it figured out. Good luck brother!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any update?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 AM
MR_X

So Jon what did you find?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Metal hitting metal, but it could well be outside the engine - are the engine mounts secure - is there a lot of engine movement? A vid of the knocking in neutral with the cam aimed at the engine bay might be helpful. Could the exhaust manifolds or downpipes be hitting the chassis when you rev?

Last edited by rcdash; 01-11-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to say it, but by the description and the sound, to me it sounds like a bearing issue... I sincerely hope I am wrong on this one.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Metal hitting metal, but it could well be outside the engine - are the engine mounts secure - is there a lot of engine movement? A vid of the knocking in neutral with the cam aimed at the engine bay might be helpful. Could the exhaust manifolds or downpipes be hitting the chassis when you rev?
extremely optimistic huh?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

always try to be... hate to see another built motor fiasco. we had enough in 2009.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 AM
citymunky

Well I have some updates.

I started working on the car yesterday. It was towed from my house to base the day before, which is when I noticed my Yellow-Top was completely DEAD. At the shop I had my battery changed as I did the drain the oil to look for metal particles in the drain pan. I found nothing, but there were some particles on my magnetic drain plug. I also took a sample of oil to send off to Blackstone labs.

After that I added 5 QTs of Shell's 10W-40 dyno oil to the car. I dropped the battery back in and I started the car. With the mechanics stethoscope I tried to pin point where the sound was coming from, but I couldn't tell. I asked one on the Old School muscle car guys to listen and see if he hears anything Nothing. So I rev to about 3000 RPMs, and thats when he said "Rod Knock."

So with the car back on the lift I drain the oil again, and take another sample. I disconnect the turbo return lines from the lower oil pan. I removed all the bolts and pull the oil pan. This is what I found, and it's not good.

I really couldn't see anything else looking up in the oil pan.

So I'm getting ready to drop the Motor and tranny together today. I already drained the coolant, pulled the "K-Bar", my H-Pipe and driveshaft.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Old 01-12-2010, 06:31 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eeeeeewwwww, prolly start lookin for a donor motor......spun bearings leave crap everywhere, and when the main's go, often left with a bent crank.

tom
Old 01-13-2010, 04:55 AM
citymunky

Well hopefully Import Parts Pro comes thur on there one year warranty against machining defects.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by citymunky
Well hopefully Import Parts Pro comes thur on there one year warranty against machining defects.

So sorry to hear about your loss, keep us updated on what you find and what imports parts pro's response is. Good luck and God speed.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM
citymunky

So after 4 days of work (6 Hrs a day), I have everything broke down. Tomorrow I'm going to wrap and pack everything up.

During the removal of my tubro's I found this.

Both the driver's side and passenger side gaskets between the exhaust manifold and turbochargers where blown. I knew I had a exhaust leak, but I couldn't find it, until now.

Last edited by citymunky; 01-15-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 AM
John at J&S

AK Miller (old school turbo guy, RIP) used to say "Gaskets are made to blow!". He would have his exhaust guy grind the surfaces flat and bolt it up with no gasket.

My 2000 Dodge Intrepid had rod knock at 98k miles, very common with the 2.7L engine. I Managed to catch it in time before it spun a bearing. A local shop dropped the pan and replaced just the rod bearings (mains looked new) for less than $350 two months ago and it sounds like a new car again.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to guess I would say a spun and then consumed main bearing for sure , unfortunately I know exactly what it means when the oil pan looks like you are prospecting for gold. Prepare yourself for the worst, that is a complete and total loss of all components in your setup that run oil through them. Sorry to see the bad news.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Luck proving your case to IPP. Chalk it up as a loss buddy. Been there done that. He'll just blame your tuner. Thus begins the finger pointing match.

Sorry for your loss. It's never fun to lose all that $$$.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:51 AM
citymunky

Really? Has anybody else had this problem?

Quick Reply: Audible Knocking above 3K RPM's