Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My 2010 Build, APS Twins

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 PM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no parts because I didn't want to go out in my shed just to prove I have a kit It's cold out here!

I guess I could've used ones I took a while ago, though:

And my work area, when it's clean:

Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FineWine
I was planning to document everything as I went about getting the swap done, since I'm doing most of the work myself, incase it could help someone else in the future. There are a lot of pics of my camera that I have not posted, since they would be out of place without a "deliverable".

If the consensus is that this thread is unnecessary and invalid, I can take it to cardomain or something I guess

Let me know.
Man dont worry about what others say....just do your thing and in the end show them what they need to see.....if you want too.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 AM
1GR8350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400hp will be simple for you to acheive. I do agree on taking the motor out to make it easier on yourself. I love it when someone on here proves its not a dreamer thread. I'm in the same boat with a safe tune until I can afford a built block.Good Luck

Last edited by 1GR8350Z; 01-30-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:54 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Man dont worry about what others say....just do your thing and in the end show them what they need to see.....if you want too.

Exactly...I didn't seen this as a "dreamer" thread at all. He already has all the parts and just has to throw them on the car. It's not like he's doing some crazy, out there build. I don't understand the attempted call-outs.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Exactly...I didn't seen this as a "dreamer" thread at all. He already has all the parts and just has to throw them on the car. It's not like he's doing some crazy, out there build. I don't understand the attempted call-outs.
Its the new trend, everyone want to be Alberto
Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I tell you what.... having the parts is maybe half the battle. Facing a garage floor install on this kit is a monumental task. I know, I have done it. If he has little or no experience with this car... good luck! This isn't like bolting up an exhaust. I know you know this, but seeing the pic of his "work area" I just want to say -> knowing what I know now, NO WAY would I attempt this install without a hoist and proper shop setup. And to make matters worse, he has a used kit. Determing all the parts and such will be a nightmare

Last edited by Zivman; 01-30-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:38 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Zivman
I tell you what.... having the parts is maybe half the battle. Facing a garage floor install on this kit is a monumental task. I know, I have done it. If he has little or no experience with this car... good luck! This isn't like bolting up an exhaust. I know you know this, but seeing the pic of his "work area" I just want to say -> knowing what I know now, NO WAY would I attempt this install without a hoist and proper shop setup. And to make matters worse, he has a used kit. Determing all the parts and such will be a nightmare
I know it's not going to be "easy" for him, but he's getting a hoist (as he stated earlier) and I have had my motor out of my car twice in my garage on jackstands. It's not "that" bad. I hope he has all the parts though....
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 AM
maximumsportZ

Originally Posted by captj3
Hey Chris it's nice to see you back. It's been a long time.

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Nice to see you posting again

<---formerly failsafe306
Hey guys thanks, I try to stop by whenever I can and read. I need some type of motivation to keep driving my Z.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:31 PM
FineWine

Damn it's been a long time. Work got REALLY busy over the last couple of months, so I've obviously let this thing slip. I'm about ready to get everything reassembled now though. The motor is sitting out, and I'm just cleaning up the engine bay and parts. I'm sending the turbos in for inspection, and I was told there's about a 2 week turnaround right now.

I have a question about the APS down/testpipes. Are they precoated with anything? If not, should I send them off to be coated? What's everyone else doing?

I'll post some pics of the current state in good faith later this week. I just bought some new audio equipment from a member here, so I'll take them when that stuff gets in.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
FineWine

Originally Posted by Zivman
Yeah, I was aware that it's going to be a challenge. While I'm in no way a seasoned mechanic, I've found my way around cars for a while. I know enough that I'm confident I can get the job done...even if it means my car will be down for 9 months like it has . I wanted the entire experience from my car...not just the end result.

And I figure if Medic can do his in his back yard in a weekend, I can do mine in my garage over a few months

The only regret I have so for for doing this myself is the fact that i've had significantly less time than I had projected in the last 6 months. At this point, I would have rather dropped the car off at Injected and paid them to tinker on it so I could have it back by now. But, with that said, there's no way to value the experience I gained just from taking the freaking car apart
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Glex25

Yeah, I was aware that it's going to be a challenge. While I'm in no way a seasoned mechanic, I've found my way around cars for a while. I know enough that I'm confident I can get the job done...even if it means my car will be down for 9 months like it has . I wanted the entire experience from my car...not just the end result.

And I figure if Medic can do his in his back yard in a weekend, I can do mine in my garage over a few months

The only regret I have so for for doing this myself is the fact that i've had significantly less time than I had projected in the last 6 months. At this point, I would have rather dropped the car off at Injected and paid them to tinker on it so I could have it back by now. But, with that said, there's no way to value the experience I gained just from taking the freaking car apart
^+1

My sentiment exactly
Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
350zfan1

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Hey guys thanks, I try to stop by whenever I can and read. I need some type of motivation to keep driving my Z.
^^^^

Not trying to nut swing or thread jack , but your car being on you tube and me riding in a APS TT equiped Z made me buy one.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My down pipes are wrapped. I don't believe they were coated.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn it's been a long time. Work got REALLY busy over the last couple of months, so I've obviously let this thing slip. I'm about ready to get everything reassembled now though. The motor is sitting out, and I'm just cleaning up the engine bay and parts. I'm sending the turbos in for inspection, and I was told there's about a 2 week turnaround right now.

I have a question about the APS down/testpipes. Are they precoated with anything? If not, should I send them off to be coated? What's everyone else doing?

I'll post some pics of the current state in good faith later this week. I just bought some new audio equipment from a member here, so I'll take them when that stuff gets in.
they are not coated. most people are just running them as you see them. before the turbo piping is more critical than after the turbo in terms of wrapping and coatings (keeping the heat in)
Old 07-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 350zfan1
^^^^

Not trying to nut swing or thread jack , but your car being on you tube and me riding in a APS TT equiped Z made me buy one.
ME TOO You owe me $50K
Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

WOW...lol.... i dont usually see you here much man...but always glad to see DIYs and it looks like you got things progressing well....i guess some people jsut didnt know you and probably thought it was another n00b dream thread.....which it happens a bit ....but
They should have appologized by now for being proved that wasnt the case...but anyways, good luck with the build and if i can help let me know
Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
fart_canon

phsssh not impressed

J/K good luck with everything!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 PM
wannabuy350z

good luck with everything, i have a quick question regarding the APS pre-turbo tubing

are they sold individually?
are they flexable as in need brackets to hold in place?

thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by wannabuy350z
good luck with everything, i have a quick question regarding the APS pre-turbo tubing

are they sold individually?
are they flexable as in need brackets to hold in place?

thanks
What tubing are you referring to? The turbos mount right to the manifolds
Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM
suprasam

Cass, I think he's talking about the flexible intake tubes.

Quick Reply: My 2010 Build, APS Twins