Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SuperCharged 350z oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VG30TTzx
RevUp said that the stock MAF sensor was only good enough for 350hp and since my goals are 380-400 they recommended me to go with the HPX MAF sensor.
I think quite a few members have gone up to 400hp on stock maf. If you plan on doing any upgrades later I would probably upgrade now anyways so it's not something you have to deal with later. so ya, it won't hurt to upgrade if you have the cash.

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
looks like you have ignition (spark?) issues from those dips in your graph
could be. more than likely it's just the tune. I think this is his "before".
Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with my vortech, i maxxed out the stock MAF at ~4500 rpms. I wouldnt even bother wasting tuning money using the stock MAF. Get the upgraded one and you'll only need 1 tune.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im 400+whp on stock maf, worked out just fine for me..just sayin...ur really not gonna know till ur on the dyno..but if thats something u wanna spend money on without knowing go for it..
Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 PM
VG30TTzx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a before dyno, this is after the injectors, pump and maf were install. Like I said the Z was tune so l could still drive it back, according to the tunner the oil was hitting the upgraded MAF and was not able to tune it. The only thing they recommended was to send in the SC and have it inspect it. The oil in the intake tube/maf was golden/brownish and I don't think it was coming from the SC, I could be wrong but I believe the majority of the oil was coming from the crankcase/pcv valve and made its way to the maf.. Anyone agree?

Either way the best option would be to send the SC to ProCharger and have it rebuilt if the seals were bad. I understand that little leakage are common on the SCs but I really don't think thats the same oil causing the Erratic readings... One thing that RevUp notice was that there was small air leak through the top of the dip stick bolt and little oil was sprayed from there. When I came back home I removed the intake cone and found that it was covered in this oil.

In order to get it tune I need that MAF clean before I go back and get it tune right this time. I'm really not planning to send the SC in at this time, it will take them weeks and some $ to get it back to me I need a DD to get me from work/school etc. But if anyone has any other suggestions on top of the oil catch can which will be install soon to have the Z ready for tunning or if yall agree/disagree to send the SC in, I would appreciated..

Last edited by VG30TTzx; 02-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless it's spewing oil into the intake it won't get dirty just during a tune. Clean the maf and then have it tuned. It will take a few miles to get enough residue on that maf to affect it.

truthfully i do'nt know why the tuner let you levae with it that rich. That's a pretty bad tune (based on a/f).

The ati procharger is a sealed unit correct? If that's the case then check the oil level on it. If the oil level is staying the same then you're not losing oil from the supercharger therefore the oil is from the crankcase breathers. That means you clean all the intake piping and maf then put a catch can on and you're fixed.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 PM
VG30TTzx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to comeback and shed some light for those that have or might experience the same problems I had with Ati Procharger kit. After calling Procharger, they agree that a lot of people have experienced problems with oily MAF sensors and one thing that they recommend on all Supercharged/Forced induction cars is to install a oil catch can. I install mine in between the hose that comes out from the Passengers side valve cover to the supercharger. I will be posting a pic for reference later.

I then followed to clean all the lines/hoses from the intercooler to the supercharger and onto the throttle. Once I started to take out the front bumper to get to the hoses, oil was visible from the end of the hoses meaning there was a massive amount of oil accumulated. I cleaned all hoses with carb cleaner (the jet shot type works great) then cleaned with soapy water then regular tap water and wiped with clean shop/wash towels. I installed everything back and bumper and took it again to UpRev in Austin to have tunned.

The results were 346whp and 300tq, the results are very similar to the first ones I listed here before but one thing that is playing a huge role for power gains is that I'm only running 5.5psi and the stock cats dont help out alot either. I will be removing the bumper again and retight all hoses and all the stuff I removed to clean. I'm assuming theres a boost leak somewhere. Anyways, the A/F graph are now fixed and its running right at the 11.7 line mark.

So far I'm satisfied with the numbers and knowing that my engine is in perfect shape and none of those problems of running lean really existed (Damn Bosch sensor.)
I will be posting pics as soon as I get my new scanner on the mail!