Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SuperCharged 350z oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:32 PM
VG30TTzx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperCharged 350z oil leak!

I Just bought my 350z equipped with a ATi Procharger kit C2 and the first thing I notice was an oil leak from around the back portion of the supercharger and oil dipstick area. It seems like oil is sitting around the drivers valve cover area if I'm not mistaken. My last 300zx TT leaked from the turbos and did not necessarily meant the best thing.. Uhg what a &%@

Ill be doing some research on superchargers and see what I come up with but any input from you guys would make things easier. I'll be posting closeup pictures tomorrow to help with my cause, but I feel a lil worried and even more depressed if I read some bad news.. Let it pour guys

Some Tech info:
'05 55,XXX miles
AEM A/F gauge marks 14.6-14.7 all the time

Last edited by VG30TTzx; 01-23-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Add tech info
Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hopefully it's just a leaky valve cover gasket, which is an easy fix. How about some pictures?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i sure hope ur a/f is not 14.6-14.7 at wide open throttle or even normal driving under load...it should only read that at idle, it should be around 11.8 at wide open throttle depending on how aggressive the tune, but no higher than 12.0 for the most part...either its not hooked up or ur tune is waaay off and very lean...the oil u need to figure out on ur own we cannot see ur car...is it coming from the supercharger itself or the valve cover or a line or what? pics?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 PM
tylerxfire

u bought a F/I car that is a factory n/a car and u didnt do research and now ur hoping ur not screwed..not a smart move my man, take it to someone who knows these cars and have them get u straight if u dont know what to look for
Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

uprev isn't too far from you if you need some advice
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

clean the engine bay.

what kind of a leak are we talking? sitting over night, while running, just after running, etc.

basically you need to clean everything really well then go after the leak. A general leak from the drivers side is way to vague.

Tons of things that aren't threatening to the life of your car can leak. leaking oil pan gasket, leaking s/c return line, leaking s/c seal, leaking valvecover gasket....annoyance but not that serious.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 PM
DB350

P.S. side shots do not help determine where the leak is
Old 01-24-2010, 12:47 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask the previous owner. He probably knows exactly where it's leaking and how much it'll cost to fix it.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably just the valve cover gasket. (hopefully)
Old 01-24-2010, 04:09 PM
VG30TTzx

Here are some pics I took. I've notice that most of the valve cover is covered in a thin layer of oil and theres more accumulation around the top of one of the plug holes.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 PM
350z 6spd

That could just be from spilling a little oil while filling the motor. I've seen this on a few cars. I say clean everything up and see if it comes back and be careful no oil spills over the rubber around the fill hole if you change the oil.

Any oil on the blower itself? If so, pics?

Last edited by 350z 6spd; 01-24-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 AM
drivessidewayz

Originally Posted by 350z 6spd
That could just be from spilling a little oil while filling the motor. I've seen this on a few cars. I say clean everything up and see if it comes back and be careful no oil spills over the rubber around the fill hole if you change the oil.

Any oil on the blower itself? If so, pics?
^^This. Also, is there any oil on the ground or just on the engine?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I second that. Looks like residual oil on the engine. It doesn't take much oil to look like a large amount.

also, I'm viewing on my phone but that belt on your s/c doesn't look properly aligned. Get another side view of that for us.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:35 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by binder
I'm viewing on my phone but that belt on your s/c doesn't look properly aligned. Get another side view of that for us.
Yeah, I can see the notches on the left from my PC.

Moar pics
Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM
VG30TTzx

Here are the requested pictures of the supercharger and oil around cylinder 2:
I took the Z to a shop here in San Antonio where they work on Zs and other imports. We ran a compression test on all cylinders and they all ran from 180-190. We ruled out the rings. Upon removing the intake tube with the MAF we saw that two 1/2" wide hoses that were T with a vaccum hose that ran to the PCV were pinched and bent (no pics sorry.) The owner explained that if these vaccums were bent like they were, air pressure was been restricted thus causing a bottle neck effect. This "pressure" shoot out the oil from the oil pan and through making its way to the spark plug holes and oil getting through the seal thus the oil around cylinder #2 and such..
What do yall guys think?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 PM
tylerxfire

i think ur valve covers are leaking or the seal around the plug, but try it out fixing that pinched line and see what happens...take ur coils out and clean them and everything up too while ur at it
Old 01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why do u have a ***** sitting on your intake manifold?

j/k
Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM
VG30TTzx

I will power wash that area and see if it leaks during the next 50 miles or so. The vacuum lines have been replaced but if the oil continues then even if I replace the valve covers or the seals around the hole plugs, I think the pressure will still push oil through. Has anyone have come up with an idea to fix this problem.. PS, when I shut my hood after leaving the shop I went to get it power washed and I couldn't open it.. I though I would of break the trunk lid below the steering wheel.. damn my new 350z is looking more like the 300zxTT i had..
Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by VG30TTzx
I will power wash that area and see if it leaks during the next 50 miles or so. The vacuum lines have been replaced but if the oil continues then even if I replace the valve covers or the seals around the hole plugs, I think the pressure will still push oil through. Has anyone have come up with an idea to fix this problem.. PS, when I shut my hood after leaving the shop I went to get it power washed and I couldn't open it.. I though I would of break the trunk lid below the steering wheel.. damn my new 350z is looking more like the 300zxTT i had..
it has nothing to do with pressure pushing thru...if ur seals are bad u must replace the whole valve cover to fix it, thats the only thing u can do..It wouldnt leak after that if thats the problem...it really seems like u got urself into a ghetto rigged car without really checking it out so its really ur own fault, im sure that oil was there when u looked at it or did u even pop the hood?...also like i said before u mentioned ur a/f is always at 14.6 which that means that gauge is not working or that ur tune is way off...also with procharger kits they do not come with anything to pull timing with their kit so if u are running the basic procharger kit u are running the risk of popping ur motor pretty easily...u really should have checked this car out a little more before jumping right into problems..good luck
Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 PM
VG30TTzx

Valve covers and plug seals will be replaced, timing and a fine tune will happen as soon as my hood cable gets here from Courtesy Parts. Like I said, compression showed excellent results and gave me a thumps up to really keep her as my new DD. If I need to replace valve cover gaskets because of the procharger then I guess theres no other choice is there.. It doesn't bother me at all, as long as the timing and A/F get tuned, my Z should be set for a ns DD. I just though that there was some kind of a gasket kit/ hardcore valve covers that are used with the 7-8-psi superchargers in the Z33 market that could of help my cause without upgrading the internals. hehe that was a long sentence..

Last edited by VG30TTzx; 01-26-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: SuperCharged 350z oil leak!