Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

FI VQ on an FX

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:24 PM
jumbosrule

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FI VQ on an FX

Ok Z people, it's time to spew forth your knowledge on a forced induction VQ35DE. I'm going to tweak it tho - I'm driving an FX35 here, so my goals are torque and bottom end. I'm in a (relatively) clunky SUV and don't have too much need for high top speeds. I'm thinking more street/track style, but with the luxury feel of the car intact. Beast, but still beautiful. All the mods I have made to date support that vision, IMO.

Plan is to go for a turbo kit and I understand I'll be needing to address the fuel system, the turbo kit/configuration, LSD/final drive, engine building & engine management, but I have a few decisions to hash out before deciding on a kit.

Is it a good idea for me to change compression? What is the benefit of decreasing/increasing compression, in terms of performance and efficiency with my application goals in mind? Can any of you recommend pistons/rods/cams that would work together well with my heavier FX platform?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're going to spend a good amount of money. Why don't you just sell the FX35 and get a FX45 or FX50.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

PM or search for Jtran studios in TX.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it has been done, I think they used a Jim Wolf kit
Old 02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Every thing that applies to other VQ35s will apply to the FX35 compression effects and what parts people use have been talked about 1,000,000 times already. The FX will make the same power as a 350Z but will be slighlty slower due to weight/areodynamics.

Rookie has a fully built FX 35 like your describing. Here is a link to his thread on driver. He has a JWT 850bb kit with a cosworth long block, on his 700bb set up he was running 12s in the 1/4mile I havent seen any numbers for WHP or time slips for the 850bb set up.

http://g35driver.com/forums/fx-spot/...debody-fx.html

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 02-08-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

^Dang beat me too it! Was lucky enough to see that FX at HIN Dallas.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jumbosrule
Ok Z people, it's time to spew forth your knowledge on a forced induction VQ35DE. I'm going to tweak it tho - I'm driving an FX35 here, so my goals are torque and bottom end. I'm in a (relatively) clunky SUV and don't have too much need for high top speeds. I'm thinking more street/track style, but with the luxury feel of the car intact. Beast, but still beautiful. All the mods I have made to date support that vision, IMO.

Plan is to go for a turbo kit and I understand I'll be needing to address the fuel system, the turbo kit/configuration, LSD/final drive, engine building & engine management, but I have a few decisions to hash out before deciding on a kit.

Is it a good idea for me to change compression? What is the benefit of decreasing/increasing compression, in terms of performance and efficiency with my application goals in mind? Can any of you recommend pistons/rods/cams that would work together well with my heavier FX platform?
A couple of things here:

Street/Track/Luxury is a hard trifecta. If a little low end kick in the pants is what your looking for then it sounds like you may be over building for this project.

A single Walbro, a turbo kit and some kind of piggyback or stand alone EMS on a stock block running 8-9lbs should put a smile on your face, not break the bank and give you plenty of passing power.

Oh, and Rookie if you read this just remember that when your ready to sell that truck I have Dibs!!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
norapat01

That is one crazy SUV
Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Cass007

Oh, and Rookie if you read this just remember that when your ready to sell that truck I have Dibs!!
I asked once i was told the buyer list is a mile long
Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM
streetzlegend

You should consider a rear mount setup, sounds nice, works, and you have more than enough space for it, oh and cheaper (not sure if money is of concern, I doubt it but just giving you ideas).

To give you an idea of a common setup I have seen and have myself is, Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, acl bearings. In my case i have stock heads and HR gaskets/bolts. although your going for 800hp then you'd be looking at a couple things different. I am a fan of turbo FX's and wish there were more. Yea its heavy, its an suv, but who cares, its fun and unique.

Compression, i guess would depends on your power goals, just make sure you properly size the turbo if you go with lower compression. You woudlnt wanna loose a lil bit of torque/low end on a heavier body. you can go with 8.8:1 - 9.#

Last edited by streetzlegend; 02-08-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Kal_El

Viet's FX is a one off. It also has a 6mt. If you are looking to make TQ then you definitely need to build your motor becuase your rods will snap among other things. I've survived on my stock block for almost two years now. Been very lucky, and tuning is important. Is it a good idea to build your motor? yes.

I have an FX35 and would love to boost it, I just know it'll be really expensive....
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 AM
jumbosrule

Originally Posted by Cass007
A couple of things here: Street/Track/Luxury is a hard trifecta. If a little low end kick in the pants is what your looking for then it sounds like you may be over building for this project.

A single Walbro, a turbo kit and some kind of piggyback or stand alone EMS on a stock block running 8-9lbs should put a smile on your face, not break the bank and give you plenty of passing power.
This is probably good advice - I want to make sure I don't overkill. This is pretty much what the JWT TT kit is designed for on a stock block. I very well may go this direction with no change in compression, but maybe still pistons & rods? Still overkill?

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
You should consider a rear mount setup, sounds nice, works, and you have more than enough space for it, oh and cheaper (not sure if money is of concern, I doubt it but just giving you ideas). Compression, i guess would depends on your power goals, just make sure you properly size the turbo if you go with lower compression. You woudlnt wanna loose a lil bit of torque/low end on a heavier body. you can go with 8.8:1 - 9.#
One of the nice things about the FX is it's large engine bay. I have a ton of space in front of the engine before the radiator and my vision has always been to do a single or twin set up in that area, with all custom pipes. I don't want to use the JWT setup where the turbos are tucked below the valve covers. I'm starting with compression and cams to help me size the turbo(s).

Look at all this SPACE in front of the DE in the FX bay. Love it.

What are the specs on your Wiseco pistons, Eagle Rods & bearings? Did you have different size options when you purchased and why did you pick the particular model you did?

Originally Posted by Kal_El
Viet's FX is a one off. It also has a 6mt. If you are looking to make TQ then you definitely need to build your motor becuase your rods will snap among other things. I've survived on my stock block for almost two years now. Been very lucky, and tuning is important. Is it a good idea to build your motor? yes.

I have an FX35 and would love to boost it, I just know it'll be really expensive....

Viet's FX is legend in the FX communities, and he's not the only TT FX.

Absolutely tuning is important, which is why I'm leaving the ECU choice up to the install shop. I want access to somebody who knows my car and is comfortable working on the systems installed. I do plan on building the motor to some degree - but it will be based on how much boost I really plan on running. Yes, it's expensive - but building a VQ35DE is always expensive, unfortunately. But I'm committed to it - I have a dream. The end game for me is a balance between power and grace - I'm trying to slant this build towards the feel of a Cayenne, rather than an EVO.

Might start with stock internals and keep the tune to around 400whp. In the future if (when) I want more, I can do rods, pistons, cams and valve springs. Seems like this is a good direction...

Last edited by jumbosrule; 02-09-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Rods and pistons wouldn't really be overkill (the rods are the weak point), its just that once you take that step the build jumps into another bracket in terms of both time and cost.

If you do a stock block setup, you could possibly install the kit with the motor in the car, stay on the stock clutch for a year or so, install and tune in a few days. Build the bottom end and your pulling the motor, the trans is off now so you may as well change the clutch, new rods and pistons mean you will line hone at the very least so might as well just do a .20 overbore, the heads are off so cams should be done now too if your going for power and its cheaper to get them done with the motor out of the car.... see what I mean about the full build now
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

FXs are autos (except Rookies) so no clutch needed just a valve body upgrade.
I would go with the turbo kit to start with drive it for a year then decide if you want/need a built engine. Doing it all at once can be very expensive and involve lots of down time. With the JWT 700bb kit and a stock block you should retain stock like drivability with near 2x the power you have now that should keep you ahead of the Cayenne and happy for a year or two. With forged rods and pistons you can start making some big power but then lots of other things should be upgraded as well fuel system, cooling system among others. There are lots of good companys for rods/pistons I use Arais pistons and Pauter rods with a 9.0:1 compression. JE pistons are good eagle, Carillo rods there are quite a few depending on price and goals. I would drop the compression if you are planing for 10psi or more most experienced guys say 8.5-9.0:1. Like Cass said 0.020 over bore and do cams and springs when the engine is out and apart.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 02-09-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
jumbosrule

Cool - you guys are confirming what I thought I knew so far.

I know my 5AT is the weak link and have already modified it to accept bigger input power. Installed a cooling unit, Torque Converter modification for FI, all new upgraded internals from Level 10 (+clutches than OEM) plus a Transgo shift kit. The shift kit replaces the VB upgrade in my case because I wanted the FX transmission ECU in charge to retain some of the stock feel. That's also why I went with a TC core mod rather than an aftermarket TC swap.

If I don't touch the block and go for bolt on turbo power, seems like any turbo kit tuned back to about 5-8psi and ~400whp would the way to go. Then in the future if I want to take advantage of more of the potential of the kit, engine building & fuel delivery upgrades would be the next step(s), along with adjusting the tune, of course.

This would be a good way to step into the build as well - allowing me to enjoy different stages of the build and still have a working daily driver with less downtime.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 02-09-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With all that room in the FX engine bay, a single PTE 7168 would be fun as heck. it would crush almost everything on a hwy roll and be very tame around town.

Last edited by str8dum1; 02-09-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
jumbosrule

Originally Posted by str8dum1
With all that room in the FX engine bay, a single PTE 7168 would be fun as heck. it would crush almost everything on a hwy roll and be very tame around town.
I hear ya - you're right, that would be totally fun!

I've read almost every boost thread I can find on all the VQ35 cousin forums. I like the JWT for it's reported "OEM feel", plus there is the option of going with one of three kits. Think I would prefer to aim for the middle - JWT 700bb TT, which I would have to tune back to safe the stock internals initially. But this would give me forward expansion capability. Maybe after running the kit for a year or so, I could then build the engine - rods, pistons, cams, valve springs, fuel management & injectors. This would get me boosted with a platform ready for expansion.

But this same plan would work if I begin with a Greddy 20g TT kit. I have a feeling the direction I go will be based on the shop that does the install. Same thing with the EMU - I gotta go with the shop's experience. If they know Greddys and UTEC, I'm not going to ask them to install something different. Hopefully the EMU will be forward compatible with expansion upgrades. I'll have to make sure that's a requirement when choosing parts.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 02-10-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM
tylerxfire

honestly id just do a stock block setup with low boost and a good tune..its a fx so i wouldnt get too crazy with it, i would just do a very reliable stock block setup...yes i would address the fuel system with DW 600's and a walbro 255 and a good ems that whatever tuner u will use is friendly with...Honestly id prolly just supercharge it for the easy to do factor and because its a FX and luxury i think that would go good but u seem to have plans to give it a good amount of power and maybe built engine so thats not the route for u if thats what u are thinking u will do...Do u plan to do the work yourself or have someone else do it? if so who are u looking into?

that blue FX is the sickest i have ever seen by far

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-10-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

someone out there had us build a custom CJM twin pump for the FX last year. I never heard back from the tuner what the power outcome of that car was. but i thought that its really cool that someone is doing that!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
jumbosrule

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
honestly id just do a stock block setup with low boost and a good tune..its a fx so i wouldnt get too crazy with it, i would just do a very reliable stock block setup...yes i would address the fuel system with DW 600's and a walbro 255 and a good ems that whatever tuner u will use is friendly with...Honestly id prolly just supercharge it for the easy to do factor and because its a FX and luxury i think that would go good but u seem to have plans to give it a good amount of power and maybe built engine so thats not the route for u if thats what u are thinking u will do...Do u plan to do the work yourself or have someone else do it? if so who are u looking into?
Yeah bro - you're singing my tune. I'm on the same page for sure.

The supercharger is out just because of value. I can't justify the cost of that system as compared to a turbo - there is just so much more capability in the direction I'm going (boosted stock engine) for pretty close to the same price. Yes, it's true I'll be tuning for the low side of the turbo's capability, but once the system is in place, future upgrades can be done over time without dropping big cake. That's one of the reasons I'm not building the engine now - it's more than I want to bite off and chew right now. I've taken my time beefing up the transmission, suspension, brakes & breathing to accept a boosted application.

I'll definitely be having a local shop do all the work and tuning. Looking in Houston at Powerfab Autosports, JTran Studios & Secret Services Auto. The direction I go will definitely be influenced by the shop - I'd prefer to go with an approach/platform with which they are both familiar and have experience.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 02-10-2010 at 12:42 PM.