Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What to use to Cut Aluminum Bumper Support?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtrojan2008
I had to modify mine to fit my intercooler. I used a plasma cutter then welded some of the pieces that were cut out to support it by keeping the box shape. I would support the two pieces together if you could, even if its just self-tapping a piece of angle iron or something to give it some structural integrity. If you get in a wreck your bar is going straight through your condenser and radiator...
+1 on supporting the bumper.
I currently don't have my bumper on as I have a similiar intake setup as the OP's. I am changing over to a Turbonetics / PowerLab type that goes on top of the bumper before spring hits. My biggest concern with cutting or removing the bumper alltogether is the insurance company may not cover my car if it were in an accident by saying I removed or modified stock safety parts.....This would be my only concern and something I have always wondered about with a lot of guys running no bumper at all with these big inter coolers.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way it was cut it really should have been removed and sold. It serves no use outside of a support for your other parts. I would have sold it and built my own support out of something much smaller and lighter.

Mine was cut with a torch, however I left most of it in tact so if I use it, it will serve some sort use.

Although the way I look at it, for me my car is a toy that doesnt get used often, if I wreck it chances are I'll be much better off with out that bumper support then if I were to wreck my motorcycle. I'll just take my chances =)
Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 AM
shiftdrift06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You for all the replies you guys. I will look into reinforcing the support bar some how.

I see many discourage with this method, this may be good information for future references.
But for the time being, it will have to do it. I needed it to mount my oil cooler and also, give my bumper its shape.

As in the words of the previous reply,

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I'll just take my chances =)
Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a 10 min trip to an exhaust shop to bend a new intake pipe woulda saved hours of f'n around.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftdrift06
That would have been nice indeed. But like I said, the fitment is pretty tight, these parts are just acouple of leftover parts I have laying around.

Finished pictures tomo, I have also mounted my oil cooler on the Support Bar.
It looks just like that. When you try to SAVE Money it Always Shows.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
It looks just like that. When you try to SAVE Money it Always Shows.
+1. Some Z owners are getting dangerously close to the Honda mentality in regards to their 'mods'. I see it everyday. Before long, it will be commonplace to see Home Depot plumbing parts under the hood of our beloved Z's at meets. "It's cheap and gets the job done"

Luckily, there are still a few who respect the platform enough to do things right.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:01 PM
shiftdrift06

I understand where you guys are coming from. But I think the intake looks pretty good.
The fitment is flush now, and with everything back you can't tell the support was modified. And also stated I would reinforce the support shortly. That was the only true downfall of this mod, if you even considered. But other than that what is your argument?

If you ever looked at the Vortech Filter, its pretty small and restrictive. All I did was extended to a place that would receive better cooler airflow and place a more effective filter. The Diameter is full size through out the piping and coupling. So whats makes my "intake" LESS APPEALING (Oldmanz) as you say compared to name brand system or even custom fabrication shop? In essence it just a pipe couple and a intake like any other system..There is not to much science behind, I am sure you would agree this LOOKS and Most likely PERFORMS better than the Stock Vortech Filter?

Lets say we take off my intake and compared side by side JUST to the intake piping and filter of Chris@FSP beautiful red z he has in his sig, could you tell which one "cost" more? If there was a price difference, would you think it be great?

And these arn't "Home Depo" Parts. As stated, the coupling was from Vibrant, and the Filter is Genuine HKS.

And I don't believe anyone even makes a aftermarket intake for Vortech Equipped 350z, so what are you comparing my intake to? The overpriced aluminum intake box tag as ARC?

Lets say, I get one custom fabricated, they will most likely send me home with aluminum pipe, some couplings, and a filter. But wait I already have that..

And before it is raised again, I have already taken the consideration that support bar reinforced, that will be taken care of.

Now I totally agree with the whole "Honda" theory, but in this situation right here. It just an intake guys. I'm not piecing together T3 turbo kits with junkyards parts from a SAAB, or trying to correct my Camber with washers.

So Chris your implying that my methods are the "Wrong way", and that number of people doing it the "Right Way" is dying out. Well if so, than you are right than because we have a whole section dedicated to DIY's, there is all kinds of stuff regarding home brewed mods. It can't be denied, from cutting the rear mount springs, wiring leds, DIY catch cans, etc..

So you are implying that, people doing it the "right way" are suppose to take it to shops for installs, or to the shops for fab work?

I mean you guys, were are all Z enthusiast here. I have put alot of work in my Z, only to place a category lower than yourself?

Kinda f'd up if you ask me.

Last edited by shiftdrift06; 02-18-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

i understand where you guys are coming from. But i think the intake looks pretty good.
The fitment is flush now, and with everything back you can't tell the support was modified. And also stated i would reinforce the support shortly. That was the only true downfall of this mod, if you even considered. But other than that what is your argument?

If you ever looked at the vortech filter, its pretty small and restrictive. All i did was extended to a place that would receive better cooler airflow and place a more effective filter. The diameter is full size through out the piping and coupling. So whats makes my "intake" less appealing (oldmanz) as you say compared to name brand system or even custom fabrication shop? In essence it just a pipe couple and a intake like any other system..there is not to much science behind, i am sure you would agree this looks and most likely performs better than the stock vortech filter?

Lets say we take off my intake and compared side by side just to the intake piping and filter of chris@fsp beautiful red z he has in his sig, could you tell which one "cost" more? If there was a price difference, would you think it be great?

And these arn't "home depo" parts. As stated, the coupling was from vibrant, and the filter is genuine hks.

And i don't believe anyone even makes a aftermarket intake for vortech equipped 350z, so what are you comparing my intake to? The overpriced aluminum intake box tag as arc?

Lets say, i get one custom fabricated, they will most likely send me home with aluminum pipe, some couplings, and a filter. But wait i already have that..

And before it is raised again, i have already taken the consideration that support bar reinforced, that will be taken care of.

Now i totally agree with the whole "honda" theory, but in this situation right here. It just an intake guys. I'm not piecing together t3 turbo kits with junkyards parts from a saab, or trying to correct my camber with washers.

So chris your implying that my methods are the "wrong way", and that number of people doing it the "right way" is dying out. Well if so, than you are right than because we have a whole section dedicated to diy's, there is all kinds of stuff regarding home brewed mods. It can't be denied, from cutting the rear mount springs, wiring leds, diy catch cans, etc..

So you are implying that, people doing it the "right way" are suppose to take it to shops for installs, or to the shops for fab work?

I mean you guys, were are all z enthusiast here. I have put alot of work in my z, only to place a category lower than yourself?

"you have missed the point completely" You Destroyed the Aluminum Support, it was not Modified. The problem I see is that you Hacked Up the Aluminum Support to make you spare parts fit, and it is no longer mechanical sound, and it Shows.......

O.K. So you tried to save money and it did'nt work. Get a new Support and buy an Air Filter that will fit in the space allowed with the fitting that are required to do a Quality Job. Or if you think the job you did is good enough, then you'r done.

No Disrespect, this forum can be harsh sometimes, when you put pic's and info up here, you get what you get.

If I did work on My "z" that was less than Quality, I'd want to know!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

But I think Chris@FSP beautiful red z has twin turbo not CAI's!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Driver06

"you have missed the point completely" You Destroyed the Aluminum Support, it was not Modified. The problem I see is that you Hacked Up the Aluminum Support to make you spare parts fit, and it is no longer mechanical sound, and it Shows.......

O.K. So you tried to save money and it did'nt work. Get a new Support and buy an Air Filter that will fit in the space allowed with the fitting that are required to do a Quality Job. Or if you think the job you did is good enough, then you'r done.

No Disrespect, this forum can be harsh sometimes, when you put pic's and info up here, you get what you get.

100% correct..
Some people just have that straight line thinking attitude. "Bar in way, Bar cannot be there".. Rather than the correct way haha
Old 02-18-2010, 05:16 PM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
+1. Some Z owners are getting dangerously close to the Honda mentality in regards to their 'mods'
I see it everyday. Before long, it will be commonplace to see Home Depot plumbing parts under the hood of our beloved Z's at meets. "It's cheap and gets the job done"

Luckily, there are still a few who respect the platform enough to do things right.
That's what happens when you have a bunch of part time working kids buying used sport cars!!! : (
Old 02-18-2010, 05:21 PM
jeffie7

Check mine out.

The main thing is for people to know that running without it is just as protective as running with it when it's hacked in half lol I have mine and plan on installing it in the future, I notched it out (leaving the main parts in tact!) so it fit the I/C with the least material removed. Go figure once I had the I/C installed with charge pipes it no longer fit =( I didn't have the blow torch on me anymore so I moved on with out it. Again I ride motorcycles and know the risk, I also understand the risk of running a car without the main bumper support. It's pretty much like riding a motorcycle and hitting something but with more metal between the two of us.

Besides..... I have a MASSIVE I/C in place of the bumper support so clearly I'm covered =)

P.S not only do you notch out the bumper support you also cut part of the mounting brackets off.

Last edited by jeffie7; 02-18-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:48 PM
shiftdrift06

I apologize, I thought you were referring to the intake, when you made your previous post. No disrespect taken. I wish the same. As for the support, as I mentioned twice in my posting. I have taken the consideration of others, of reinforcing it, I will provide an update when I do. And as mentioned, I needed some kind of basis to mount my oil cooler.

I don't mind posting my pics or info, or do I take offense to the replies. If anything, others will learn from this.

Originally Posted by midz350
But I think Chris@FSP beautiful red z has twin turbo not CAI's!!!
I was referring to the one in his sig, You can see the intake shown...

Originally Posted by xzotklr
That's what happens when you have a bunch of part time working kids buying used sport cars!!! : (
Or when a man has a mid life crisis. lol
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PlYlLaxV38&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PlYlLaxV38&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Check mine out.

The main thing is for people to know that running without it is just as protective as running with it when it's hacked in half lol I have mine and plan on installing it in the future, I notched it out (leaving the main parts in tact!) so it fit the I/C with the least material removed. Go figure once I had the I/C installed with charge pipes it no longer fit =( I didn't have the blow torch on me anymore so I moved on with out it. Again I ride motorcycles and know the risk, I also understand the risk of running a car without the main bumper support. It's pretty much like riding a motorcycle and hitting something but with more metal between the two of us.

Besides..... I have a MASSIVE I/C in place of the bumper support so clearly I'm covered =)

P.S not only do you notch out the bumper support you also cut part of the mounting brackets off.
Nice Z Jeff. No the mounting brackets weren't touched. Only the support.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 PM
deanfootlong

i feel bad for you, OP. you took the most ridiculously strange way to add a pipe and filter to your vortech. you killed your front bumper brace. you know, you could have just had a 90 degree coupler and pipe go down in front of your wheel well and do the same thing.

idk man. its just sad to see the route people are trying to "mod" their z's. cutting your front support is...... LOL. sorry man.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 AM
tylerxfire

why would you have done this op..there are much better filters and better spots...dont know why you would ever cut that when you dont have to especially to use that crappy filter and setup

oldman^^ u posted ur pics in a thread the other day but it wont let me copy the pic and post it here of ur filter for some reason..im in the process of doing the same

post #11 in this thread https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ml#post8143726
Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
why would you have done this op..there are much better filters and better spots...dont know why you would ever cut that when you dont have to especially to use that crappy filter and setup

oldman^^ u posted ur pics in a thread the other day but it wont let me copy the pic and post it here of ur filter for some reason..im in the process of doing the same

post #11 in this thread https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ml#post8143726

That's the same place mine sits.

Cutting the bumper support is a lot of extra work for a better filter placement that wont make the slightest bit of a difference. lol
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM
tylerxfire

^^looks nasty man..

yeah doesnt make any sense at all for him to do that and not use something like i showed and what is on ur car..looks better than what he used anyway and prolly performs better too
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

I understand where you guys are coming from. But I think the intake looks pretty good.
The fitment is flush now, and with everything back you can't tell the support was modified. And also stated I would reinforce the support shortly. That was the only true downfall of this mod, if you even considered. But other than that what is your argument?

If you ever looked at the Vortech Filter, its pretty small and restrictive. All I did was extended to a place that would receive better cooler airflow and place a more effective filter. The Diameter is full size through out the piping and coupling. So whats makes my "intake" LESS APPEALING (Oldmanz) as you say compared to name brand system or even custom fabrication shop? In essence it just a pipe couple and a intake like any other system..There is not to much science behind, I am sure you would agree this LOOKS and Most likely PERFORMS better than the Stock Vortech Filter?

Lets say we take off my intake and compared side by side JUST to the intake piping and filter of Chris@FSP beautiful red z he has in his sig, could you tell which one "cost" more? If there was a price difference, would you think it be great?

And these arn't "Home Depo" Parts. As stated, the coupling was from Vibrant, and the Filter is Genuine HKS.

And I don't believe anyone even makes a aftermarket intake for Vortech Equipped 350z, so what are you comparing my intake to? The overpriced aluminum intake box tag as ARC?

Lets say, I get one custom fabricated, they will most likely send me home with aluminum pipe, some couplings, and a filter. But wait I already have that..

And before it is raised again, I have already taken the consideration that support bar reinforced, that will be taken care of.

Now I totally agree with the whole "Honda" theory, but in this situation right here. It just an intake guys. I'm not piecing together T3 turbo kits with junkyards parts from a SAAB, or trying to correct my Camber with washers.

So Chris your implying that my methods are the "Wrong way", and that number of people doing it the "Right Way" is dying out. Well if so, than you are right than because we have a whole section dedicated to DIY's, there is all kinds of stuff regarding home brewed mods. It can't be denied, from cutting the rear mount springs, wiring leds, DIY catch cans, etc..

So you are implying that, people doing it the "right way" are suppose to take it to shops for installs, or to the shops for fab work

I mean you guys, were are all Z enthusiast here. I have put alot of work in my Z, only to place a category lower than yourself?

I respect the work you have put into your Z. I was not necessarily saying anything bad about your intake mod in particular. I apologize for coming off that way. The only thing that I don't agree with about your particular Z is the hacked up front support beam, but you can't really blame me there

My post was not directed at YOU in particular, and I was not trying to accuse YOU of having hardware store parts on your Z. Again, I apologize for coming off as a dick. I was just skimming through the thread and came upon the post by OldmanZ350, "when you save money it shows", which in general, I agree with wholeheartedly. When I posted my reply, I had in mind those people who hack up their stock exhaust and claim it as a 'mod', or those who use pcv tubing in their intake systems, or any other number of useless mods. It was not meant to be a personal attack on you.