Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo question/ Boost ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
III

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo question/ Boost ?

Hey guys
Question on how much boost I could run on my stock motor.
Right now i have a turbonetics kit witht he t3/t4 hybrid turbo running around 8.5PSI. Just got a turboxs UTEC to run my tune and I have had a greddy Prospecb boost controller but hvan't turned my boost up at all. Only other mod I have on the motor is the SSV and pulleys.

Just wondering if anyone else is running close to this set up and how much boost can I put to my stock internals ?

Thanks guys
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how much boost since all setups are different but for power no more than 440whp. I'm running 6.5lbs and getting around 375whp which is safe and reliable for me.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM
III

We did a dyno run on what I have it set up with now and i believe it was 359. Yea I guess with the right tune I hope to aleast get 400 out of it with stock internals
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Moved...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
IslandZavage

Read this twice: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Motors have blew below/above 400, but 400 is the average safe zone in this crap shoot... TUNE is always key.

Try and use the search button. You'll live longer around here if you do....

Last edited by IslandZavage; 03-17-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should have used osiris instead of the UTEC

You can run about 9psi safely with a turbonetics it will be tough to get 400 or more out of that.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:15 PM
III

Originally Posted by Barnabas
should have used osiris instead of the UTEC

You can run about 9psi safely with a turbonetics it will be tough to get 400 or more out of that.

Yea I got a really good deal on the UTEC so i could pass it up
Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 PM
jomamahama

I think luck has more to do with it than the quality of the tune. These n/a engines are built with particular tolerances in mind and engineered to diminish failures to an acceptable level from a quality control standpoint. When you throw boost into the equation on a VQ the failure % increases substantially. Nissan knows a particular amount of n/a engines will fail at 100K or 140K (or else they would have be warrantying the powertrain longer than 5yr/60K or 6/60K like opponents). Your engine may be destined to last 150K+ and you put boost on it for 50K with no ill effects. Or your engine may have been destined to blow a head gasket n/a at 80K in which case you may only get 20K boosted before failure.

I think people who talk up the tune so much may be just trying to make themselves feel more confident that their engine won't fail. Yes, a tune further diminishes your chance of engine failure from running too rich or too lean, however proponents of "it's all in the tune" are being shortsighted out of convenience, in my opinion.

Search for "blown engine" in title or in the "how long did it last boosted" thread and you'll see plenty of blown engines with tunes from reputable factories.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jomamahama
I think luck has more to do with it than the quality of the tune. These n/a engines are built with particular tolerances in mind and engineered to diminish failures to an acceptable level from a quality control standpoint. When you throw boost into the equation on a VQ the failure % increases substantially. Nissan knows a particular amount of n/a engines will fail at 100K or 140K (or else they would have be warrantying the powertrain longer than 5yr/60K or 6/60K like opponents). Your engine may be destined to last 150K+ and you put boost on it for 50K with no ill effects. Or your engine may have been destined to blow a head gasket n/a at 80K in which case you may only get 20K boosted before failure.

I think people who talk up the tune so much may be just trying to make themselves feel more confident that their engine won't fail. Yes, a tune further diminishes your chance of engine failure from running too rich or too lean, however proponents of "it's all in the tune" are being shortsighted out of convenience, in my opinion.

Search for "blown engine" in title or in the "how long did it last boosted" thread and you'll see plenty of blown engines with tunes from reputable factories.
You sir, could not be more wrong about the importance of a tune on an FI engine.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 PM
jomamahama

So says the salesman.

Well I'm convinced, i'll go ahead and click on your link and buy Uprev or Haltech etc...maybe I'll throw a built engine in my cart too and go ahead with you guys installing my twin turbo.

Also... ROFL @ your website name too in context to this post

"www.failsafeperformance.com"

There couldn't be any bias to your well formulated refutation of my post...

Oh also, could you tell us what warranty you offer with your tuned turbo/built block installations? Just for any of us in the Oklahoma area...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Unique_Z33

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
You sir, could not be more wrong about the importance of a tune on an FI engine.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Oh also, could you tell us what warranty you offer with your tuned turbo/built block installations? Just for any of us in the Oklahoma area...
We offer a million mile warranty, no questions asked.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So says the salesman.

Well I'm convinced, i'll go ahead and click on your link and buy Uprev or Haltech etc...maybe I'll throw a built engine in my cart too and go ahead with you guys installing my twin turbo. ]

Uh?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:46 AM
Gizloc

I'd say tuning is the most important thing with F/I. There have been Z/G's pushing over 450RWHP on stock internals W/O blowing their motor.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 AM
Reality350

So says the salesman.

Well I'm convinced, i'll go ahead and click on your link and buy Uprev or Haltech etc...maybe I'll throw a built engine in my cart too and go ahead with you guys installing my twin turbo.

Also... ROFL @ your website name too in context to this post

"www.failsafeperformance.com"

There couldn't be any bias to your well formulated refutation of my post...

Old 03-18-2010, 04:52 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol this thread is going too winz

From what I've heard its not the HP its the torque that kills the rods. 400 Wheel torque should be a nice target goal, although most people who run the TN kit tend to blow their **** up if the kit isn't running on pretty much everything stock. Every single person I know (again just the ones I know) that ran the TN kit were fine until they changed things around.... BOOOOOM went the motors.

TN kit IMO is the perfect turn key kit for 350-360WHP on a pretty much bone stock car, for anything else go with something else. I just dont trust it.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please watch this.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ust-watch.html
Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes tune is important, but it doesnt guarantee a reliable and safe motor.

People blanket statement, "its all in the tune" all the time, when thats just not true. I cant think of more than a few of ALL the built motor failures that were tune related.

The tune is one critical aspect but so is supporting part selection, driving habits, tolerances, etc.

Last edited by str8dum1; 03-18-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Turn it up to 25psi max!!

Quick Reply: Turbo question/ Boost ?