Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Possible OBD Emissions Cheat

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible OBD Emissions Cheat

Some of you may remember that my plan was to title my Z in FL to avoid emissions testing here in PA. I've been getting by on a 5K per year exemption, but want to get some true seat time and miles in this year, so the 5K is a FAIL.

My solution is buying a second speedo cluster. I matched my year and trans and bought a used cluster (thanks thawk408). I get tested and get my exemption sticker using my stock cluster, then swap the speedo clusters and drive as much as I want. Swap the clusters back before inspection next year and renew my exemption by easily staying under the milage restriction.

I swapped clusters the other day and eveything seems to be working fine and milage is recording on the new odo just fine. I will drive it like this for a week or so and then swap back to be sure their are zero issues and my original odo retains the proper milage.

I am fully aware that this is basically odometer tampering, but I've pretty much modified or destroyed the resale value on every piece of the car already and it will most likely be parted out if I ever get rid of it. The upside is that because I am exempt from emissions, it doesn't matter a bit if I throw codes or have no cats, now I just need to get Acree to do the LED mod for me on the new cluster This may not work in every state, but if you have the exemption loophole it may be a viable option. I will update the tread if I find any glitches or can 100% verify that there are no issues.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:31 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!... Way to admit breaking the law online...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 AM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! I wish the UK had exemption laws! We just do it the old fashion way and bribe people! lol..
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not all of us have mileage exemptions though, here in MD you have to be a senior citizen to qualify for that.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by sdZ33
Congrats!... Way to admit breaking the law online...
Whatever... I'm sure the emissions police are on their way over right now. Funny that you are from CA, every member of your state that has a turbo is breaking the law as well.

Not all of us have mileage exemptions though, here in MD you have to be a senior citizen to qualify for that.
Just trying to help, each state is different.

Nice! I wish the UK had exemption laws! We just do it the old fashion way and bribe people! lol..
I tried this at every place I could find, but the OBD port plugs right into a computer that is connected to the state database. Can't bribe a machine
Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You cant just turn off certain codes with your EMS? Most can.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Please name an EMS for these cars that can clear codes? Ive never seen one, in fact for many of us the EMS we run and the modifications made to cam timing fo rexample are what cause us to have CEL's and fail emissions.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

This is where many people are given mis-information that bites them in the a$$ when inspection comes due. You can turn off the CEL lights with a reflash, but the code still exsists. Or you can turn off the sensor from sending the signal, but then it shows as pending or not ready when you plug in for the OBD test. Pending signals = FAIL.

Our cars have appx a 50 mile drive cycle for all the sensors to report after you clear codes. For the majority of us in F/I, you will get one of the common codes for cam timing or random misfire not matter how you drive the car.

What I am saying with the method I am using is that the codes no longer matter because I am exempt from emissions and just need to pass the mechanical inspection such as tires and turn signals.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Crom

I wish it was that easy here in CA... I swear I need to move. +1 on the Acree conversion....he did a amazing red conversion on mine 3 years ago w/o any issues....
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM
davidc81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why doesnt your car pass emissions in PA? my car passed the sniffer test with test pipes and s/c. i only failed the visual but i found a way around that. i switched to hfc's and now have no problems at all.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 AM
0jiggy0

I know Cobb and Osirus can keep certain codes from coming back on. PO420 and such. I thought I was told Haltech has the same capibilities? I guess I'm mistaken.

I know about pending codes, its the same reason people fail when they try to disconnect the battery right before an Inspection. I thought these even took care of that.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 AM
0jiggy0

Originally Posted by davidc81
why doesnt your car pass emissions in PA? my car passed the sniffer test with test pipes and s/c. i only failed the visual but i found a way around that. i switched to hfc's and now have no problems at all.
They probably have the same emissions test we have in NY. OBD2 cars dont have a sniff test anymore(Unless their over 8600 lbs) We just plug a OBD connector to the computer and it checks for DTC's and teh readiness monitors to be complete.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

They probably have the same emissions test we have in NY. OBD2 cars dont have a sniff test anymore(Unless their over 8600 lbs) We just plug a OBD connector to the computer and it checks for DTC's and teh readiness monitors to be complete.

Once I get my setup completely sorted out I may not even throw codes anymore, but most of the F/I cars have one or two that are recuring. BTW, my car has no cats, so I fail the visual straight away.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jiggy, there are a few that can turn the codes off, I know I've seen that on the forums a few times and I could have sworn Technosquare said it was possible with their reflash too.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I doubt Techno would turn codes off permanently, that would be illegal in the case of emissions, such as having them turn off the ability for o2 sensor and cam timing codes to be displayed.

Of course if a company like Techno and Osiris can reflash ECU's they can alter speed and rev limiters and turn codes off but that wont stop the car from producing them again after driving.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

To clear a couple things up:

Haltech 350Z can not currently turn on or off codes, nor can FCON, ProEFI, etc. Haltech is able to do it on other applications (such as R35 GT-R), but this has yet to be implemented on the 350Z.

With our reflash, we can disable codes permanently. This works for emissions tests too, unless you turn off a readiness-related code. For example, turning off the o2 sensor codes will prevent those codes from ever showing up again, but the readiness test will never show "Ready" either because the error checking (DTC) for O2s is gone. Some states allow 1-3 "not ready"s.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

My kryptonite was the cam sensor code error, I forget the #, that was what caused my CEL and I had to find other weays around the test.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Alberto
My kryptonite was the cam sensor code error, I forget the #, that was what caused my CEL and I had to find other weays around the test.
I believe cam sensor codes can just be disabled without causing any problems. Did you try this?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Hal - any input on if I should expect any issues with swapping speedo clusters? Other than it making me a terrible person and possible felon.... I can live with that for unlimited F/I miles
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cass007
Hal - any input on if I should expect any issues with swapping speedo clusters? Other than it making me a terrible person and possible felon.... I can live with that for unlimited F/I miles
Cass- I haven't tried, so I can not comment from experience.

Quick Reply: Possible OBD Emissions Cheat