Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sneak Peak At Vortech System

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have got a Vortech kit on its way to us. We have had great experience with the Vortech products in the past. From its quality parts to customer service from Steve and the crew. We will be looking forward to this kit. We already have a Greddt TT kit that's almost done. So I'll be looking forward to the comparison. From a fiancial stand point. This kit is def. better in price and the installation will also be cheaper.

Looking forward to the install. Here is a link to the Vortech install that's posted by Steve.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....299#post609299

Thank you

Jeff - Evolution
Old 01-07-2004, 02:07 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Jeff:

I would appreciate your perspective on comparing the two regarding the issues you mentioned above and I am sure others would be interested as well.

I think most mature readers understand that each kit will have its pros and cons and depending on cost, reliability, and targeted hp, the kit a person might select will be dependant on which of these issues are more important.

Jeff - zland
Old 01-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by zland
Jeff:

I would appreciate your perspective on comparing the two regarding the issues you mentioned above and I am sure others would be interested as well.

I think most mature readers understand that each kit will have its pros and cons and depending on cost, reliability, and targeted hp, the kit a person might select will be dependant on which of these issues are more important.

Jeff - zland
To all the people who have dealt with me and know me. I'm a straight forward person and I'll def. give my honest opinion on Pros and Cons of both kit. Out of all the FI kits available on the market right now for 350z. Greddy is by far the most recognized company in the Turbo world. And when supercharger come in mind. Who doesn't know Vortech? And there's generation of Vortech followers from old school V8 to Civic SI. And now our Z.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:58 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Hopefully no one will decide which FI system/kit to get based on only one source. I feel the more people do research and listen to installers, experienced modders, and review magazine testing and comparisions, the combination of all that data will make it clearer on which FI kit meets a persons individual goals for their car.

Jeff, you have a valid point, companies like Greddy and Vortech have been around a long time thus it is easy to do a little research on various forums to see how they are seen by consumers that have purchased their products in the past. Newer companies pose a greater risk in if they will be around 3 years from now and how well do they back their product????
Old 01-18-2004, 05:41 PM
More Power

Default Re: Re: A Few Vortech questions

Originally posted by Forced
The timing controller is not adjustable. It has a map of points based on rpm and boost. We will have a tuner kit available. I will get the part numbers and pricing up shortly.
QUESTION FOR STEVE (FORCED). I am very interested in your Vortech supercharger for my 350Z. All I need to find out is that one of these forced induction kits produces the impressive HP with rock solid long term reliability and I’m ready to buy. Yours sounds best at this point. I have done a search in this forum, and some of the few (so far, new kit, of course) that have installed your supercharger kits (including G35s) have reported that their default A/F ratio, after the kit is first installed, is about 9 to 1. I know your kit stresses max reliability over absolute max HP, but that A/F still seems a bit rich. I 100% agree with your emphasis on safety vs. max HP. But, do you have any problem recommending that we use your (soon to released) tuner kit to adjust the A/F ratio to a still conservative 11 to 1 or so if we check it and find it 9ish to 1? Or adjust to say 10.5 to 1? Or is there a reason(s) the kits need to run that rich as the default? Like maybe you run that rich on purpose so that at the top of the rpm band, when boost maxes, maybe that generally rich fuel ratio keeps the engine from leaning out too much just before the upshift? Or some other reason that you purposely run that rich as standard ? Or maybe that rich A/F is just a quirk in a kit I’ve heard about and is not the standard. I’d rather be able to just install the kit and not have to tune the engine as your literature recommends. As I said, I also want to keep it conservative and stress safety, just wondering if/why richness to that extent is necessary. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by More Power; 01-18-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:45 PM
zimbo

It's going to be interesting to see how much the tuning kit will cost because if you buy the splitsecond box separately, it comes with the R4 software.

Also, since the splitsecond box comes preprogrammed by Vortech with some timing retard, it seems to me that even 11:1 is lower than needed.

The R4 software allows you to control timing retard, so since my installer had to do custom tuning anyway (the "stock" 350z settings as set by Vortech definitely won't work with the G35) I had my tuner started with 2 degrees of retard at something like 3000 rpm, increasing to 6 degrees at 6000 rpms. With that amount of retard, it is my opinion and the opinion of many I've talked to that 12:1 is safe.

I'd love to hear the official Vortech answer, however.

--Steve
Old 01-18-2004, 11:10 PM
More Power

Originally posted by zimbo
It's going to be interesting to see how much the tuning kit will cost because if you buy the splitsecond box separately, it comes with the R4 software.

Also, since the splitsecond box comes preprogrammed by Vortech with some timing retard, it seems to me that even 11:1 is lower than needed.

The R4 software allows you to control timing retard, so since my installer had to do custom tuning anyway (the "stock" 350z settings as set by Vortech definitely won't work with the G35) I had my tuner started with 2 degrees of retard at something like 3000 rpm, increasing to 6 degrees at 6000 rpms. With that amount of retard, it is my opinion and the opinion of many I've talked to that 12:1 is safe.

I'd love to hear the official Vortech answer, however.

--Steve
Thanks for the info. What you said about the timing retard and 12:1 sounds completely logical to me. I had been thinking along similar lines - that say 11.5:1 with the timing retard is still conservative. Just want to make sure there's not something I'm overlooking here to explain the reports of 9:1 as the default. (Granted the # of installs reporting at this early stage are small.) Is the 9:1 A/F default in your G35 just a quirk because the kit was designed for the 350Z, i.e., that maybe the kit installed on a 350Z won't run that rich as the default? I don't want to burn holes in pistons being too lean in order to squeeze out a few extra HP, but there's no point in fouling plugs being too rich. Like you, I'm anxious to hear Steve at Vortech fine tune my thinking on A/F and timing retard as applied to this kit. And excited about it's potential given Vortech’s reputation for reliability, which is equally important to me. The power they’re discussing for this kit of 400 to 450 crank HP or so is probably adequate for me. The Greddy TT probably has more power potential but is also more expensive and I don’t want to push the stock internals too far, anyway. And can’t afford to build the internals properly in order to go for the higher boost levels.

Last edited by More Power; 01-18-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Forced

The short answer is 11.5 air/fuel ratio would be fine throughout the RPM range.

The A/F gets very rich at ~5500-6000 RPM partly because that is where the MAF maxes out. After this point, it starts to lean out to ~11.5 A/F at redline. The A/F up to ~5500 RPM can be adjusted with the split second box, above that you are relying on the FMU, so the only way to lean it out is to lower the fuel pressure which may make it go lean at redline.

Modifications to the engine increase the likelyhood that the Vortech supplied calibration will not be ideal.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM
More Power

Originally posted by Forced
The short answer is 11.5 air/fuel ratio would be fine throughout the RPM range.

The A/F gets very rich at ~5500-6000 RPM partly because that is where the MAF maxes out. After this point, it starts to lean out to ~11.5 A/F at redline. The A/F up to ~5500 RPM can be adjusted with the split second box, above that you are relying on the FMU, so the only way to lean it out is to lower the fuel pressure which may make it go lean at redline.

Modifications to the engine increase the likelyhood that the Vortech supplied calibration will not be ideal.
Thanks, Steve. Very concise and informative! These default settings sound fine to me as far as good HP with good long term reliability plans go. I think you said in an earlier post that it would be ok to go with just the Injen true dual exhaust (or similar) and the high flow catalytic converters (Random Technology, in my case) as far as mods to the stock engine are concerned. Thanks again.

Last edited by More Power; 01-19-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:52 PM
zimbo

Originally posted by More Power
Is the 9:1 A/F default in your G35 just a quirk because the kit was designed for the 350Z, i.e., that maybe the kit installed on a 350Z won't run that rich as the default?
Yes, that is my belief. Steve@Vortech has confirmed that the G35 kit will have different programming so I think that's it.

--Steve
Old 01-21-2004, 03:20 PM
More Power

Originally posted by zimbo
Yes, that is my belief. Steve@Vortech has confirmed that the G35 kit will have different programming so I think that's it.

--Steve
Thanks, that's reassuring. I like this kit! It makes the More Power gears spin in my motorhead, LOL.

How hard is it to take off the air filter for cleaning??????

Last edited by More Power; 01-21-2004 at 03:23 PM.