Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forged Performance - My Story

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:41 AM
ttuberz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to be an interesting lawsuit. Thanks for letting the community know and best of luck to you. This is why I never let a shop touch my car.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:46 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
Tig,

Although I understand what you are saying since I own my own business and hired and fired numerous employees, I couldn't help but notice some serious misbehaviors by Sharif, the owner himself. I don't care how **** the customer is. If the customer asks you to look into something, you look into it instead of telling them "it's normal". Also, if he doesn't know how to configure the entire functions of the HKS EVC and knock amp, then don't sell it, or learn or teach yourself how these things work.

In my honest opinion, FP got too big too quick and it's over Sharif's head. If I were Sharif, I would quit my extra curricular activities ASAP, i.e. time attack races, and watch my employees like a hawk as I develop a strict and redundant QC infrastructure. Also, just because business has been sucessful, it shouldn't let it get to his head and become cocky and start misstreating, deceiving customers. Customers are kings. Period.

Although I did most of my business with GTM when I built my Z, I'm not taking any sides since I believe GTM has the similar QC problem with their new turbo kit.
Spot on. I think FP can be just fine if they re-align priorities and get back to what they seemed to be doing best. He should make things right with the OP, hold a Tiger Woods-like press conference, and get back to golf...err, building cars with full QC control.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0

Every time this guy posts, I think of this shirt...

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shir...m-just-a-tool/
Lol
Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time this guy posts, I think of this shirt...

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shir...m-just-a-tool/
lol..exactly
Attached Thumbnails Forged Performance - My Story-tool.gif  
Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, as a business owner, there is a cycle to things. You bust your a$$ for a while, grow the business and then reach a point where things are going well and the $$$$ is good, so you enjoy your success by taking time off and delegating things you used to do yourself. You focus on hobbies (such as building a car or going racing) and slowly the business begins to slide a bit.

Employees never work quite as hard when you're not in the building with them every day. Over time, you realize that things are sliding a bit and occasionally a big issue flares up (like these builds) and gets your full attention and you realize that its time to rededicate yourself to the business.

I've been self imployed for 9+ years and have ~50 employees that range from salaried managers to the 16yr old high school kid. I've been through the cycle at least twice and am sure it will repeat again in the future. You can't just live your job forever, no matter how much you enjoy it and the people you work with.

Growth in a business is always difficult and ultimately the owner is accountable for the final product, but as I tell people all the time "the world is an imperfect place, **** happens and you do the best you can to make things right when it does". Best of luck to Sharif and Sam in working out this difficult situation. To me it seems that Forged screwed the pooch on these builds for sure, but the GTM kits also seem to have fitment issues on a regular basis.

And +1 on al the F/I wannabes chiming in with their opinions, build your car... spend the $$$$$... have a shop experience.... and then have an opinion. To those people saying "I was going to have my F/I done at Forged, but now I'm going somewhere else...", do a little research into almost any shop and you will find things that scare you. Also, keep in mind that F/I regs like Doug and David have fun by starting threads asking the trolls with opinions how their builds are going after a few months
Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Cass007
IMO, as a business owner, there is a cycle to things. You bust your a$$ for a while, grow the business and then reach a point where things are going well and the $$$$ is good, so you enjoy your success by taking time off and delegating things you used to do yourself. You focus on hobbies (such as building a car or going racing) and slowly the business begins to slide a bit.

Employees never work quite as hard when you're not in the building with them every day. Over time, you realize that things are sliding a bit and occasionally a big issue flares up (like these builds) and gets your full attention and you realize that its time to rededicate yourself to the business.

I've been self imployed for 9+ years and have ~50 employees that range from salaried managers to the 16yr old high school kid. I've been through the cycle at least twice and am sure it will repeat again in the future. You can't just live your job forever, no matter how much you enjoy it and the people you work with.

Growth in a business is always difficult and ultimately the owner is accountable for the final product, but as I tell people all the time "the world is an imperfect place, **** happens and you do the best you can to make things right when it does". Best of luck to Sharif and Sam in working out this difficult situation. To me it seems that Forged screwed the pooch on these builds for sure, but the GTM kits also seem to have fitment issues on a regular basis.

And +1 on al the F/I wannabes chiming in with their opinions, build your car... spend the $$$$$... have a shop experience.... and then have an opinion. To those people saying "I was going to have my F/I done at Forged, but now I'm going somewhere else...", do a little research into almost any shop and you will find things that scare you. Also, keep in mind that F/I regs like Doug and David have fun by starting threads asking the trolls with opinions how their builds are going after a few months

+1000...good post and i love how you put jeffie's comment in ur sig..laughed my *** off
Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's only a bad thing if Chris is that other guy lol

Off Topic. Chris check out the Droid. I haven't looked back!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:06 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I had an intake pipe on the drivers side of my car that Quadcam and I couldn't get to fit inside the wheel well liner. I tried everything. Even took it apart and tried working backwards. I still couldn't get it to fit. When I had my car tuned at Japtix they took a look at it and got it to fit correctly without modifying it. Sometimes it takes a new perspective and approach. Sometiems you have to step back nd think about things especially if it's the first install.

I'm not saying the OP's kit fit correctly or not, but my 350Z kit fit well.
To me it seems that Forged screwed the pooch on these builds for sure, but the GTM kits also seem to have fitment issues on a regular basis.
I have a great relationship both with FP and GTM. My purchase experiences with FP have been exemplary - My wheels/tires arrived precisely when Sharif said they would and in perfect condition, and Sharif bailed me out by getting a new Carbonetics clutch to me in one day before an event when I fried my Cluthmasters twin disk. Also, I ordered my APR rear wing through FP. FP ordered the correct wing, but APR sent the incorrect one (still for the G35, but a little smaller - APR confirmed the correct wing was ordered). I discovered this almost a year later when the Gurny flap I had recently ordered would not fit. FP called APR and I got a replacement wing within days. That said, FP has not worked on my car and they apparently have shop/installer issues, and perhaps some other issues, that need to be addressed. Chris' post regarding this, and some of the others, are spot on.

Although my GTM motor took a while to complete, the block modifications they did should be well worth it. Moreover, I went to Sam and offered to be the guinny pig on that, and they went through a lot of work, and at least one block, working through the R&D to make sure everything was right. I think the block modifications will be a new service that they will be offering in the near future.

The reason I am posting is because JetPilot has a very good point. Indeed, after working on JetPilot's car and one or two other GTM turbo installs, Japtrix recommended a GTM turbo kit for my new build. I know Roger, and he would not have recommended a GTM turbo kit if he had had bad experiences installing it. Roger is a very straight shooter and tells it as it is. Perhaps the instructions are too brief and it takes an experienced installer to install it properly. I don't know. Nonetheless, when the turbo kit is installed, I will post our experiences, good or bad. With Japtrix, I can assure you that there will be no banging on pipes to make it fit. If there is something off, Roger will call Sam and it will be addressed in an appropriate manner.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 04-18-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

I was starting to tired of reading all of the guys with a few bolt on mods and 50 posts give their uneducated opinions (go to the G37 site and those guys are the only ones in the discussion)and then of course the FP supporters firing back. This thread was starting to become painful to read until that post it makes sense and puts things into perspective and is an intelligent explanation of how this could happen from a shop with lots of great builds under the belt. Obviously I think the installs are/were a train wreck and I wondered how the ***** could Sharif let this happen but Chris your post helped me understand it thank you for that.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:51 AM
XKR

I just want everyone to know that I wrote this post for Chris. All credit should go to me..... Thank you!!!

This is exactly what is going on over at FP. I hope Sharif reads this post and make changes ASAP

Last edited by XKR; 04-18-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

That still doesn't address the troublesome issue of Sharif threatening to sue customers if they come forward and post about their negative experience with Forged.

It makes me wonder how many other nightmare stories might be out there that this community doesn't know about because they were also threatened as Juan and Doug were.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 04-18-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

That still doesn't address the troublesome issue of Sharif threatening to sue customers if they come forward and post about their negative experience with Forged.
From another thread:

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Since there seem to be questions/misunderstandings as to libel, here is some basic information:

Libel is defamation in the form of defamatory statements made in a printed or fixed medium. In order to prove defamation, the plaintiff must prove:

1. there was a publication to one other than the plaintiff; and

2. the publication makes a false statement of fact that is understood as being of and concerning the plaintiff, and that tends to harm the reputation of the plaintiff.

3. If the plaintiff is a public fugure, he/she must also prove actual malice.

Generally speaking, an opinion cannot be defamatory. Just stating "in my opinion" does not necessarily mean a statement will be interpreted by Courts as being merely an opinion, though. Courts look at whether a reasonable reader or listener could understand the statement as asserting a statement of verifiable fact. SOME Courts, however, take the position that statements made in the context of an Internet bulletin board or chat room are highly likely to be opinions or hyperbole, but they do look at the remark in context to see if it's likely to be interpreted by others as being a statement of fact.

In sum, if someone presents their experiences without making any false statements of fact that tend to harm the reputation of a person, company, etc., there is no libel. Nonetheless, keep in mind that it sometimes is hard to prove whether a statement is indeed true or false. Generally speaking, this is a civil issue, thus the Courts will evaluate the preponderance of the evidence.
Originally Posted by stormcrow
There is much more to it than what you posted.
Certainly. There are issues regarding 1st amendment rights to free speech, etc., etc. Look, you can spend multiple semesters in law school studying constitutional law, depending how deep you want to go. That is why I provided "basic" information.
But, my point was that anyone can sue you for libel...whether or not your statements constitute such...

So you guys tell me...do you think you can't be sued for posting your story on a internet forum? It's happening as we speak.
You are correct in that virtually anyone can file a lawsuit at any time. There are certain limitations, however. For example you cannot sue the U.S. government without their authorization to do so, etc.

Some people use the threat of legal suits as a tactic to push their agenda. It happens. A motion to dismiss is a good course of action in many instances to end the suit quickly. If that does not work, a motion for summary judgement is another course of action that can be taken.

Also, some jurisdictions provide for disciplinary actions against Attorneys who bring frivolous lawsuits. In Florida, for example, Attorneys have been reprimanded, placed on suspension, and even disbarred for bringing frivolous lawsuits. Many jurisdictions also allow defendents to collect Attorney's fees and/or damages from those filing frivolous lawsuits against them. In some cases, the Attorney's themselves who bring the frivolous lawsuits end up paying costs.

In the end, it is up to the individual whether he/she wants to post their experiences with the shops they have been dealing with. Will a shop file a lawsuit, perhaps. But if the person posting has only provided facts that are true, and they have solid evidence to back up those facts, they are in a good position to defind such lawsuit. If they are ever threatened with a lawsuit, they should immediately consult an Attorney, and discuss that situation with the Attorney. If the evidence is solid, that Attorney should be in a position to disuade the opposing Attorney from proceeding with a lawsuit. Now, if false statements are made, or disparaging statements are made without solid evidence to back up such statements, the opposing Attorney may opt to proceed.

I can tell you this, I for one would never, never risk my Bar license and livelihood by pursuing a frivolous lawsuit for anyone. The potential consequences are just not worth it. Moreover, I don't want to dig into my own pocket to pay the potential penalties.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

That's not my point Terry. I know these things. My point is that we have had more than one Forged customer threatened for coming forward to the community at large. Is Sharif going to be held accountable and scrutinized for this atrocious behavior? Or is the community going to give him a free pass on this?

And secondly... if Sharif is using strong arm tactics to try to suppress anything negative about Forged from being posted on the forums, it begs the questions of how many other stories are out there that we don't know about and to what extent FP's reputation on this forum has been artificially fluffed.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 04-18-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:45 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

That's not my point Terry. I know these things. My point is that we have had more than one Forged customer threatened for coming forward to the community at large. Is Sharif going to held accountable and scrutinized for this atrocious behavior? Or is the community going to give him a free pass on this?

And secondly... if Sharif is using strong arm tactics to try to suppress anything negative about Forged from being posted on the forums, it begs the question of how many other stories are out there that we don't know about and to what extent FP's reputation on this forum is artificially fluffed.
Given the past history of this forum (e.g., Scott Bush and SGP), I do think Sharif will be held accountable for his actions and I do not think that he will be given a free pass. In this regard, I commend you and the others for the hardline stances that you have taken. You have saved many people from being screwed out of thousands and thousands of dollars.

I am not dismissing what has happened to Juan and the OP, and from what I can assertain from their posts, they have every right to be pissed and are due their chance to speak out. If FP pursues legal action against these guys for speaking out, and they have only provided truthful information, I think it will backfire on FP. From what I have seen in this forum, the issue will not die. If, on the other hand, FP lets them be and addresses their own internal issues, they may be able to salvage their reputation and prosper when the issues are addressed.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 04-18-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Given the past history of this forum (e.g., Scott Bush and SGP), I do think Sharif will be held accountable for his actions and I do not think that he will be given a free pass. In this regard, I commend you and the others for the hardline stances that you have taken. You have saved many people from being screwed out of thousands and thousands of dollars.

I am not dismissing what has happened to Juan and the OP, and from what I can assertain from their posts, they have every right to be pissed and are due their chance to speak out. If FP pursues legal action against these guys for speaking out, and they have only provided truthful information, I think it will backfire on FP. From what I have seen in this forum, the issue will not die. If, on the other hand, FP lets them be and addresses their own internal issues, they may be able to salvage their reputation and prosper when the issues are addressed.
Agreed. Check my edit. ^^
Old 04-18-2010, 02:53 PM
XKR

Eric.... No one is overlooking the lawyer issue.... We all know that if that was his plan to scare those customers into not posting or sharing this info... That also is as bad as those pictures that are posted.

Those kind of discussions I would rather have with Sharif off line... But I assure you that it is not overlooked....
Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 PM
GodSendsDeath

Wow... I guess I will never go F.I. because of this reason this is my biggest fear. Oh yeah the part about being broke has something to do with that
Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by XKR
Eric.... No one is overlooking the lawyer issue.... We all know that if that was his plan to scare those customers into not posting or sharing this info... That also is as bad as those pictures that are posted.

Those kind of discussions I would rather have with Sharif off line... But I assure you that it is not overlooked....
This doesn't change the fact that this is exactly what is going on. The day after Sharif responded to my posts in reference to suing Juan, Juan gets a call from his attorney...not asking to change "2-3 bullet points" as Sharif stated he wanted in response to me...but, again to remove the thread.

It seems your offline conversations with Sharif on this issue aren't going anywhere and that he has full intentions of suing Juan if the thread doesn't come down. If I am wrong, I expect to hear that Juan received a call from Sharif's attorney and stated otherwise. A certified letter from his attorney stating no further action will be pursued would be nice, as well.

This has gotten to the point of being ludicrous.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:48 PM
XKR

This doesn't change the fact that this is exactly what is going on. The day after Sharif responded to my posts in reference to suing Juan, Juan gets a call from his attorney...not asking to change "2-3 bullet points" as Sharif stated he wanted in response to me...but, again to remove the thread.

It seems your offline conversations with Sharif on this issue aren't going anywhere and that he has full intentions of suing Juan if the thread doesn't come down. If I am wrong, I expect to hear that Juan received a call from Sharif's attorney and stated otherwise. A certified letter from his attorney stating no further action will be pursued would be nice, as well.

This has gotten to the point of being ludicrous.
I won't get into or repeat on here what i have said to Sharif.... All I will say is that Sharif knows were I stand as far as what he is instructing his lawyer to do....I feel the lawyer issue should be dropped and handeled customer to shop owner....
Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by GodSendsDeath
Wow... I guess I will never go F.I. because of this reason this is my biggest fear. Oh yeah the part about being broke has something to do with that
Stop posting.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance - My Story