Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Controlling a methanol kit with the haltech

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 AM
captj3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's right about that. Plus meth is good, but there is no guarantee it protect the motor despite what everyone here says. That is unless you inject into each individual cylinder. The way our intake is designed there is no way to know if each cylinder is getting the same amount of meth. Thus you can still blow a motor. This is just food for thought. I'm surprised that nobody on this forum has ever brought this up before with all the discussions about meth.

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
why not Be happy with what you have now and save for a turbo upgrade. how much difference will it betoo upgrade turbo vs method kit? 50hp will get old quick on a built block.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:12 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by captj3
He's right about that. Plus meth is good, but there is no guarantee it protect the motor despite what everyone here says. That is unless you inject into each individual cylinder. The way our intake is designed there is no way to know if each cylinder is getting the same amount of meth. Thus you can still blow a motor. This is just food for thought. I'm surprised that nobody on this forum has ever brought this up before with all the discussions about meth.
It has been brought up before. It's why GurgenPB and George@GTM (now XBS?) spray into each cylinder right next to the fuel injectors - both use the aquamist systems.

While this sounds good in theory, I'm not sure I'm fully on board because meth spray in the intake tract, if properly atomized, will follow air flow. So if one cylinder gets more air for whatever reason (plenum design), it should also get more meth if injected earlier in the intake tract. The only time I would insist on port injection is if I were going to spray more than 50% meth. Then I'd treat it like a fuel, port inject, not use plastic hoses, etc...
Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 AM
captj3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
It has been brought up before. It's why GurgenPB and George@GTM (now XBS?) spray into each cylinder right next to the fuel injectors - both use the aquamist systems.

While this sounds good in theory, I'm not sure I'm fully on board because meth spray in the intake tract, if properly atomized, will follow air flow. So if one cylinder gets more air for whatever reason (plenum design), it should also get more meth if injected earlier in the intake tract. The only time I would insist on port injection is if I were going to spray more than 50% meth. Then I'd treat it like a fuel, port inject, not use plastic hoses, etc...
I understand where you are coming from. I didn't know that this has been brought up before. I must have missed the thread. None the less our plenum design has a major short fall, cylinders 5&6 consistently run leaner in our engines. Thus he would have to make sure he runs enough meth to make up for this short fall. So even if atomization dead on he would need to be to rich in 4 cylinders to make up for the difference. This may give him a false sense of security. The OP is looking for a band aid fix at best at this point for a few more ponies due to his choice of turbo kit. My best advice is for him to drive his Z and enjoy it. He is already at the point where street tires are becoming useless.