Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone have experience with Cosworth 8.8:1 built blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by thom000001
I'd probably agree on Stage 2's too for anything short of the SP, SFR, or big GTM TT kits (stage 5-6).

I went with stage 3's to be different, and cause I upped to 60mm turbos

Tom
yeah... 2 smaller turbos usually have that quicker spool, but you will find out how much that quickly also goes out with bigger turbo(s)......
so I actually would suggest a stg3 on the smaller tt kits that have that excellent sppol and midrange, but power starts to die on top end... bigger turbo(s) will be more top end....so the mid range would help a bit there with the spool...or you could jsut raise revlimiter i guess and use the higher duration cam to push more up top even further......
That said, the BC stg3 do have excellent midrange still..., thing in my case is i started with 280 tomeis... they were jsut a bit too loopy and too much on the top end... being i was on a big single, i already had a bit of that already so i choose to focus a bit on the mid range for streatability... i guess that why i phrased it like "depending on the persons goals"...or size of turbo(s)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually, the 2 big SP builds (vlads, and their race car) use the 264 cams. That convinced me to stay with my C2's

but ya, 2500$ or less with just dropping the motor off at the shop. Its super easy to pull the motor. You are going to pay someone to pull and drop in a Cossy anyhow, so that cost is pretty much moot.

Originally Posted by thom000001
I'd probably agree on Stage 2's too for anything short of the SP, SFR, or big GTM TT kits (stage 5-6).

I went with stage 3's to be different, and cause I upped to 60mm turbos

Tom
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup,
they both have some serious headwork though (especially the 350Z). I was trying to make up for less flow and worse intake with better cams lol

always compensating lol

Tom

Originally Posted by str8dum1
actually, the 2 big SP builds (vlads, and their race car) use the 264 cams. That convinced me to stay with my C2's

but ya, 2500$ or less with just dropping the motor off at the shop. Its super easy to pull the motor. You are going to pay someone to pull and drop in a Cossy anyhow, so that cost is pretty much moot.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 AM
cersoft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1

Do any of you see any reason why my AriasED pistons would require the motor to be built any differently to say a set of Wiescos?

Also, if the motor is coming out I will be looking into high flow heads and some cams, and a cossie intake ...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by cersoft
Do any of you see any reason why my AriasED pistons would require the motor to be built any differently to say a set of Wiescos?

Also, if the motor is coming out I will be looking into high flow heads and some cams, and a cossie intake ...
There is no reason I can think of why there would be any difference in how it's built. It comes down to the tolerances and specs. There are small differences in every piston. When doing a small overbore (.020 which is typical) the pistons need to be placed in the cylinders where they fit the best. Some people just put them in as they pick them up with no rhyme or reason. The reality is there will be certain pistons that fit better in certain cylinders with tighter tolerances.

Last edited by Driven1; 06-23-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
davboy

Colin if you are thinking about rebuilding your current engine I would go talk to Ray and ask him if he knows a good engine builder. I seem to remember him saying something about farming bigger motors out to someone to build or something like that. I don't know it can't hurt to ask. I would have called you but I can't seem to find your # .
Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM
cersoft

Originally Posted by davboy
Colin if you are thinking about rebuilding your current engine I would go talk to Ray and ask him if he knows a good engine builder. I seem to remember him saying something about farming bigger motors out to someone to build or something like that. I don't know it can't hurt to ask. I would have called you but I can't seem to find your # .
Gaaah, you suck

I just got finished talking to Chuck at C&D Engine Performance in Totem Lake, apparently they build all kind of high HP euro and domestic engines ...

They also recommended Addict Motorsport Design in Woodinville to do the tuning, they are cranking out 650whp audi daily drivers ...

What was really interesting is that the engine builder said that if his tuner didn't think my EMU, fuelling etc where up to par then he would refuse the work ... sounds like a solid work ethic to me
Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 PM
G Coupe

OP I run a Cosworth VQ35 Low compression short block. I have had no issues so far with my engine. I am also running the Cosworth plenum, Cosworth ZK2 grind cams, and I had my stock heads re-done to be "like" cosworth heads with +1MM ovesized valves (stainless steele intake, innconnel exhaust), dual valve springs, titanium retainers, port, polish etc. Going that route was cheaper than buying the Cosworth heads themselves.

Like I said the engine is strong, silky smooth, and they are all balanced and blue printed...the engine comes with the spec sheet w/ all the tollerances etc. I would say worth every penny and from a brand I can trust. They also use brand new never been used Nissan VQ35 cores. I have heard some of the big name shops use rejected nissan cores, which does not make me feel good.

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by G Coupe; 07-05-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cersoft
My motor was built by builtzmotors, nuff said ...
rofl, thats who built my first motor.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Viet SN= "rookie" uses a cozi motor in his FX 35 with JWT 850bbs. I havent heard much about it though
Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM
jining

Hey Colin, if you do find an engine builder around our area that has some experience building VQ's can you let me know?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 07-06-2010, 06:15 PM
forced_04

Rebello Racing...

They will build your motor better than pretty much anyone and they have super fair rates, I have never heard one bad thing about them.... Literally not once

they dont want to milk anyone, just send your motor there have em tear it down and put it back together and they'll buy the replacement parts required and just put it in your bill at the end. No BS, No noobs, just the way its suppose to be.

ohh and they dont lag.

They are in NorCal about 20min from my house. Right next to SF