Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATTENTION FI car owners. Gas stations selling low octane gas from premium pumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedmaxima
I used to use literally 2 types of gas stations, but I noticed I would run through the tank faster with one or get slight pinging at times with the other after a full up, I switched to Shell and am going to stick with that, been good thus far. I usually avoided them since they were slightly higher than other stations but you get what you pay for. There's not much room for error if your tune is borderline/tight with lower than normal octane.
over a course of 2 years of random gas stations and 2 years of only shell 93 i have a 2mpg average gain on the shell.

before anyone says "blah blah it's your driving" you can also note this was recorded over 2 years, it was mpg per a complete tank, and also the last year i was FI and still showed an improvement in mpg. Shell gas is just more consistant and higher quality.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Elperuano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
that's why i use only shell gas. too much reputation for them to ruin it with some BS like this.
same here bro... reputable station who will think twice before taking a risk like that...

Look at the gas station those people are talkin bout in the news though.. Conoco? Non-name brand stations.. like liberty or ameriKa... i'd never take my G there. Shell n Chevron.. used to be BP til they fubar'd wit dat oil spill...
Old 07-16-2010, 07:58 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Elperuano
same here bro... reputable station who will think twice before taking a risk like that...

Look at the gas station those people are talkin bout in the news though.. Conoco? Non-name brand stations.. like liberty or ameriKa... i'd never take my G there. Shell n Chevron.. used to be BP til they fubar'd wit dat oil spill...
chances are they are privately owned gas stations that buy a certain gas. The issue there isn't with "conoco" gas itself, it's with that individual station that pulled a dirty trick.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:57 AM
ffwturboZ

Nothing but Shell or BP goes into all of my cars. Even my wife knows not to mess with generic fuels.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM
pcressey

I filled up with Shell here in SoCal, all we get is 91 octane (for $3.30/gal), and my car started pinging/pre-det badly on heavy acceleration/load... I wonder if I got bad gas randomly, or they did it on purpose...
Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm sure they did it on purpose.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 PM
fklentz

Originally Posted by pcressey
I filled up with Shell here in SoCal, all we get is 91 octane (for $3.30/gal), and my car started pinging/pre-det badly on heavy acceleration/load... I wonder if I got bad gas randomly, or they did it on purpose...
Of course it's going to ping, That stillen air/water I/C just will not cool the charge air very well. How does your EMS compensate for intake air temps?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:17 AM
nyqueenz

hmm sounds like i may need to carry this arround wit me when i go to fill up..

PORTABLE OCTANE ANALYZER

ASTM D2699 - ASTM D2700 - ISO 5163 - ISO 5164 - EN 25163 - EN 25164

Features

Lab accurate
Results in less than 20 seconds
Built-in printer and LCD display
Needs only 8 ounces of gasoline
Test sample not damaged in any way
Results traceable to official knock engine laboratory
Battery or A/C operated
Includes RS-232 output
Measures all grades of unleaded gasoline
Directly measures pump octane: i.e. [(R+M)/2], RON and MON
Unmatched reliability... totally solid state
Simple to use
Patented proven technology
Comes with briefcase-size carrying case

ZX101C Near Infra-Red Octane & Cetane Analyser achieves easily a quick, yet highly accurate (+/- 0.1) determination of Research Octane Number (RON), Motor Octane Number (MON), Cetane Index (CI) and Cetane Number (CN), in the range 0 to 110.

The tester can be calibrated for ten fuels or substrates and measures all grades of unleaded gasoline. The test does not require advanced training and can be completed in less than 20 seconds (vs. at least 45 minutes in a knock engine).

To perform a test, just pour 200 ml of gasoline or diesel in the supplied sample container (75 mm optical path length) and place it in the instrument. The sample is not damaged in any way and can be either used for retest or for other purposes.

I wounder if this would hold up in a court of law as far as for a lawsuit?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:28 AM
nyqueenz

NJ an MD got dat good shyt.. 94 Oct
Old 07-24-2010, 04:06 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lance, one of the good things about having a UTEC is it'll pull timing in realtime if you get bad gas. If it pulls enough times, it keeps it pulled until you shut down. You'll know when you get bad gas, and you should still be fairly safe with the built motor and electronics protecting you.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM
pcressey

Originally Posted by fklentz
Of course it's going to ping, That stillen air/water I/C just will not cool the charge air very well. How does your EMS compensate for intake air temps?
It is using Stillen's piggy back system for all the tuning... the car never had pinging issues before. I did have to disconnect my HKS Ignition system because it crapped out... it started after that as well.