Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI Harmonic Damper Pulley and it's effects on the AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:28 AM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ATI Harmonic Damper Pulley and it's effects on the AC

First, I posted this thread in the FI section because I don't think anybody who is NA would utilize this pulley. I recently completed my built project which included upgrading to an ATI pulley and have notice that my AC is cooling alot less effectively. I have check for leaks and coolant levels are within specs. I know the pulley is larger in diameter than the stock crack pulley and was wondering if this would have a negative effect on the AC compressor? Any input would be Great.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had the ATI one but I remember when I had the UR pulleys it too killed my AC big time.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 AM
thom000001

my fluid dampner is slightly smaller than stock pulley so slightly under drives the accessories. I only notice it at idle when its really hot, the AC doesn't blow bitter cold. But touch the throttle and its bitter cold again.

If yours is larger then its overdriving the AC...wonder if its not confusing the ECU and its clutching off the AC.

Tom
Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 AM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been watching the clutch but have not seen it cycle on/off. It seems strange but the ac gets colder when I decelerate on the highway. It's like the compressor is running out of it's effective range.

Originally Posted by thom000001
my fluid dampner is slightly smaller than stock pulley so slightly under drives the accessories. I only notice it at idle when its really hot, the AC doesn't blow bitter cold. But touch the throttle and its bitter cold again.

If yours is larger then its overdriving the AC...wonder if its not confusing the ECU and its clutching off the AC.

Tom
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the Ati the ac pulley is underdriven, the alternator pulley is overdriven. When I had it on my car, I did not notice a difference in ac performance. Now I have the stock crank pulley and it doesn't blow bitter cold but I think it's bc of the hot weather and intercooler.

The ati ac pulley makes finding a belt size hard. Most have to pick a belt that is almost too small or too big. Maybe check the belt for proper tension? I dunno, maybe more ATi owners can chime in...

Last edited by jonnylaw; 07-25-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:47 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

belt sizing is impossible. The belt injected sent was way too tight. Myself and another firend couldn't even get it on with a pry bar. The next size up is almost too loose. The tensioner is at max tight and it is tight enough that it doens't slip.

I didn't notice a single difference in cooling though. It was 100* here in stl for an entire week and mine was working like a charm.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure fluidampr is smaller than stock? The oem crank diameter is ~5.73" while the fluidampr is ~6.125"

Originally Posted by thom000001

Tom

Last edited by 350z006; 07-25-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by binder
belt sizing is impossible. The belt injected sent was way too tight. Myself and another firend couldn't even get it on with a pry bar. The next size up is almost too loose. The tensioner is at max tight and it is tight enough that it doens't slip.
I deleted all of the useless idler pullies and had no trouble finding a belt!! They are not difficult to get rid of either and have no negative effects that i have noticed. However I can't comment on the AC I still have none I pull the engine so often i don't bother getting it recharged
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 AM
binder

Originally Posted by 350z006
Are you sure fluidampr is smaller than stock? The oem crank diameter is ~5.73" while the fluidampr is ~6.125"
that's the ps side. He's talking about the a/c side. It's smaller than stock.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I deleted all of the useless idler pullies and had no trouble finding a belt!! They are not difficult to get rid of either and have no negative effects that i have noticed. However I can't comment on the AC I still have none I pull the engine so often i don't bother getting it recharged
The ps belt fit fine. We're talking about the a/c belt. There aren't extra pullies to delete on the a/c side. Only 3 pullies: crank, a/c, and tensioner. All 3 are needed to drive the a/c.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by binder
The ps belt fit fine. We're talking about the a/c belt. There aren't extra pullies to delete on the a/c side. Only 3 pullies: crank, a/c, and tensioner. All 3 are needed to drive the a/c.

yep your right I just found the picture I thought there were two idlers one on each side but I guess not

Name:  IMG_3337.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  204.5 KB

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 07-26-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An NA car or an FI car benefits from it..it has nothing to do with the amount of power the car makes, it has everything to do with it's balanced (vastly superior to the stock unit) and the intense underdriving of it, which makes it ideal for high rpm use.

It has zero negative effects on the a/c that I have experienced - I've had one in my own car since summer 2007, and have done many long distance trips with the a/c on (most recently this past weekend). If your car is FI, at idle on a very hot day, your a/c is not going to blow ice cold at idle no matter what pulley you have on because your IC is blocking your condensor and you've got no air flow at idle. Use the recirc setting, it helps a/c effeciency tremendously

Belt sizing is not impossible at all - belts are made in less than 5mm increments by most manufacturers. Simply take some string, wrap around the pulleys and then lay it out and measure the total length. Most belt manufacturers use the sizing and # of ribs as components of their part #'s. I got my own belts from pepboys, nothing special at all, and use a 100% stock pulley configuration (all stock idlers in place). I cant recall the sizes I have on my car, I'd have to go back through notes and check
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Belt sizing is not impossible at all - belts are made in less than 5mm increments by most manufacturers. Simply take some string, wrap around the pulleys and then lay it out and measure the total length. Most belt manufacturers use the sizing and # of ribs as components of their part #'s. I got my own belts from pepboys, nothing special at all, and use a 100% stock pulley configuration (all stock idlers in place). I cant recall the sizes I have on my car, I'd have to go back through notes and check
not true, the 4 rib a/c belt from all manufacturers only comes in .5" increments. I spoke with a few people on this, researched all the manufacturers and spoke with ryan at IP about it when i couldn't get the supplied belt.

I haven't changed a single thing on mine other than the pulley so what would be the reason of it not fitting? ATI chose a bad diameter. The belt that they said fits (from ip and many others) was told to be very tight, and on mine tight to the point that it wouldn't even go on with a pry bar. The next step up in belt size is .5" up and it fits but i had to use the tensioner all the way.

If you can show me a belt between the 2 sizes that dayco, gates, or goodyear offer then i'd gladly purchase one. They all jump from 33.5 to 34"
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I literally measured mine with string on a Sunday at my friends house where the car was at the time, and walked into a local pep boys at 4:30 on a Sunday and bought what was needed, and drove the car home that night. I don't remember what manufacturer I am even using, but it's worked just fine since 2007 and I have not had to so much as tighten it to this day. I'll seeif I can dig up the info though, I know I have it someplace

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-26-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM
binder

ya, find out the part number and brand so i can look up the size. The 3 major brands all have no sizes between those 2 that i've tried.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Elperuano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got UR pulleys n recharged my AC and it blows ice cold
Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Elperuano
I got UR pulleys n recharged my AC and it blows ice cold
Are you F/I?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Elperuano