Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS FCon VPro Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camp2 only allows tweaking with fcon is, if the map is not locked. Most tuners will lock their fcon map.

But you cannot change settings via camp2 if u are using a v-pro.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
jonnylaw

Btw Rev, if I were in your shoes, I'd fly the tuner to you and have the car towed to the local dyno 30 mins from you, as opposed to risking your stock block running a map tuned on another car, even if it is only on/off the truck and a few miles. Who knows what might happen? Also need to take into account difference is US and Spain fuel, if any.

I dunno, maybe I'm obssesive, but I'd rather pay up to fly tuner out and tow to local dyno, then risk damage to engine/car by driving on current map and transport.

Or, save yourself the headache and scrap the build and let me buy the kit, hehehe

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-03-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^lol....nice try jonny!
Yeah, i'm considering having him fly out to do the tune here, but obviously the next thing is to find out if the dyno is adequate for the job. If not i'll have to buy a trailer and take the car up there myself, lol!

Oh, and yeah your right about the camp2, my mistake.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
citymunky

Now before everybody calls my crazy, you can drive on the stock ECU.

I picked up my FCon from a Non Rev-Up G35, with 700cc injectors. I have a Rev-Up G35 with DW 600cc injectors. I mailed my FCON to the tuner to make changes so I could have drove to ATL. When I got my FCON back and installed it, my car didn't act right. I disconnected the FCON, and drove on the stock ECU fine. I didn't allow myself to hit boost, as I drove 9 hours to ATL. The only bad thing was I was running Rich.

Where are you going for a tune? The UK?

Last edited by citymunky; 08-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
^lol....nice try jonny!
Yeah, i'm considering having him fly out to do the tune here, but obviously the next thing is to find out if the dyno is adequate for the job. If not i'll have to buy a trailer and take the car up there myself, lol!

Oh, and yeah your right about the camp2, my mistake.
Can you blame me for trying?, lol

btw, I recently contacted Gearheinz to see if they can make another kit, since I'm interested in the setup. He would need my car shipped there as they are "1 off" kits and not mass produced. I'm worried the cost of kit, custom intercooler piping, transport, and tune, might be cost prohibitive and not something I can afford, however, since I've already spent ~22k on my current setup

Anyways, back on topic, sounds like you've got a good plan forward.

Do you think you may need to make any modifications because of the revised steering rack on your '06 like what is required on the Powerlab kits for 2006 models?

And is Citymunky seriously suggesting driving the car with TT installed only on the stock ecu without even a reflash?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Hey citymunky, sounds ballsy, but achievable. If the tubos aren't producing boost, then it's no different to the car running stock.
Something else i thought about was to install everything including the injectors, then just take the last intercooler hose off, so that the turbos are just venting to atmosphere and then just get a reflash for the ECU for the bigger injectors. Then just drive all the way up to the tuner in the UK!
That way i can test to make sure all the injectors are working properly, and to make sure the turbos are in good condition and not smoking or anything stupid like that. Then the tuner can check out the wiring on the Vpro and tune it from scratch.

Also, that way i can be really cool and have an interfooler!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you're going to be better off/safer just leaving the FCON disconnected and run it on the stock ECU until your tuner can get his hands on it. It'll run rough, but it'll run.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
citymunky

Originally Posted by jonnylaw

And is Citymunky seriously suggesting driving the car with TT installed only on the stock ecu without even a reflash?
It's been done, you just have to keep the car from boosting by driving like a grandma.

Hey citymunky, sounds ballsy, but achievable. If the tubos aren't producing boost, then it's no different to the car running stock.
Yea it was ballsy, but it worked. If too ballsy for you, try leaving the stock injectors installed and drive on the stock ECU, but you have to take it easy with the driving, no boost! Than when you get to the tuner swap injectors and install the FCON.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
wannabuy350z

not ballsy at all. i have dont it on several car. keep the stock injectors in. its not like it takes forever to change them out.

stock fueling. your idle will be the same. and drive just dont go past 3k rpms and never build boost. keep it like 10% tps
Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Ok so i've been speaking to my tuner and there are a few things i'm unsure about.

He say's it is highly recommended to run a return fuel system when going FI as it makes mapping a lot easier and quicker, but i was under the impression that a return fuel system is only really necessary when your running big boost. I'm only looking at around 6-7 psi (340 ish whp).

Also, apparently with the Fcon Vpro, you loose traction control and cruise control. They say they prefer not to run the Vpro with the fly by wire and would be better to convert it to a regular throttle wire.

This all seems a bit much for just 340 whp. I do plan on upping it to around 420 whp later on, but even then i haven't seen anyone go through this much hassle.

They are a very reputable and respected tuner in the Nissan Skyline scene and they've got quite a bit of experience with the 350Z, so i'm sure they know there stuff. It just seems like a lot of effort when i haven't seen many other people have to go through this and achieve much more.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 AM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't lose traction or cruise control. I believe the stock ecu controls those and the vpro works with the ecu to control cam phasing, idle, and some other things. At least that's my setup

Last edited by suprasam; 09-02-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 AM
westpak
SFZCC

get a different tuner
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

lol. easier said than done. Do you know how many Vpro tuners there are around here.

hint: not many
Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 AM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol. easier said than done. Do you know how many Vpro tuners there are around here.

Maybe you could fly-in a tuner from the states. I bet some guy would be willing to get a some vacation time!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Seb-Specialty-Z

Have you considered getting the factory ECU reflashed and custom tuned via Uprev software? Sounds like it would be more than adequate and save you cash. This way you could at least get a tune that's pretty close to your setup, drive it mildly knowing it's going to be much safer and finally fine tuning it.

Good luck either way!

Seb
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM
westpak
SFZCC

maybe, but with those recommendations and comments your tuner made I would run not walk away
Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuel return makes tuning simpler and results more consistent at any boost level. Not only that but it makes the fuel pressure more even across all your injectors. Anyone with FI should have a return line.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 PM
jonnylaw

+1 on the fuel return, especially if you plan on going past ~400whp in the future.

I have full cruise control and traction control with v-pro. What your tuner is saying is not making any sense. The v-pro, although a "stand-alone" is not a true stand alone, in that the ecu still controls things such as the instrumental panel and yes traction control and cruise control. The vpro just has complete control over fuel/timing.

And convert to throttle by wire just to run vpro? wtf? Hate to say it, but I would not go along with what they are recommending and telling you, and I would question their opinions--they don't make sense. Fly in a tuner and use a local dyno.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Well it sounds like my tuner was a little confused. I think he didn't realise there was already a wiring loom for our car for the Vpro. So i think that one's sorted.

He still highly recomends a return system. He says it's not essential, but it is highly recomended. So i figure i might as well go with something like the AAM stage 0. There not that expensive, and if it offers that little bit more peace of mind then what the heck.