Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Help with choosing a single turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

boosted performance has the easiest install, least expensive, and least complicated single turbo system.

Vas installed his in a day and he doesn't have a "ton" of mechanical background.

Turbonetics have junk turbos. Find all teh threads, people that have them have continious problems.

Powerlab aren't bad, tons use them, the install is harder to get things to fit but the product is good. It's afew grand more expensive than the boosted kit. It works great for stock block power.

Truthfully, if it's your daily i think you need to walk away from FI. This isn't your stealth that came TT from teh factory. Cars that aren't factory boosted NEVER work as smooth as a car that you add to it. I would never use a non-boosted car that i've boosted as a daily driver. You're asking for issues. I know beacuse i have 3 friends with vr4's and stealth tt's. Even with all their upgrades they have far less problems with their FI systems.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 AM
binder

Originally Posted by stealthrtt
Thanks for sending the manual. I'll take a look though it and see how everything looks

Do you have those 2 members that have done the BP ST of yours?

Also, i noticed that the intake air filter is right under the engine to the side under the car. That scars me a little. Reason being is that wouldn't it get really dirty and all from being right there instead of tucked up under the hood more? Would it be possible to get a longer pipe in your kit for achieving this or will there not be enough room to do that?

David
i'm one of them, but i have a bigger turbo and full built engine so mine is slightly modified.

I don't even have teh angled piece for the air filter like it shows in the kit. Mine makes a 90* bend and goes striaght forward and sits right on ground level. I have drove mine in rain without issues. I've also had this filter on the car since late may with no issues on dirt.

Open filterse up in the engine bay suck up just as much road grime. My vortech filter had to be cleaned once a month and it sits right up in the engine bay. It was horribly dirty all the time.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^when are you going to post up some boost logs? would be nice to compare to the Jtran setup
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The single and twin turbo systems we build will work on the automatic transmission cars.DE and Rev-up.Just another option.Cars make very good power at low boost and we use a Precision Billet turbo.

http://speedforceracing.com/index.php?productID=1014
Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Boosted Performance all the way. Low intake temps, no messing (or worries i would think)with AC lines, many different turbo options and lowest cost. done
Old 08-06-2010, 02:39 PM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^when are you going to post up some boost logs? would be nice to compare to the Jtran setup
i'll go do some runs tonight. do you just want them in haltech log format?

Yesterday was the first day of the car 100% done with boost controller working properly and no crazy engine oil leak from that stupid drain pipe.

I posted a while ago what i logged at certain rpms, i think in vas's thread. Untuned i'm hitting 10psi around 4k, sometimes 4100. That's in 3rd gear so it'll be lower than the 5th gear pull they did. I'll try to get a 5th gear pull to compare. The load is higher so i should boost lower. I think i did a quick stab in 4th gear and logged 10psi down at 3800rpms.

3 weeks from the dyno. I need to start making my build thread.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Zridder19

Whaaatatattaaaa ppl are being nice to the n00b in the F/I section?!?!?

Times have changed since I was here
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
stealthrtt

Originally Posted by DB350
fuu and the 06 have the rev up i forgot that
Alright, noted. Thanks DB350

Originally Posted by Dragonbreath
Single turbo I would go either Boosted Performance or PowerLab. Im not turbo but I have done tons of research. Mostly everyone who has the PowerLab kit is in love, and both the guys who have the Boosted Performance love it lol. From my research I would probably pick Boosted Performance due to the placement of the turbo. The heat is able to escape from the bottom of the car and not stay cooped up in the engine bay.
I'm beginning to lean more toward the BP right now. PowerLab's is sadly way too much compared to BP right now. I would have probably gone with PowerLab's ST if they had the same price as the BP one since i like it to be under the hood instead of mid-ways down the cars under body-but again, thats just me and my never ending quest of picky-ness on stuff like that.

Originally Posted by binder
boosted performance has the easiest install, least expensive, and least complicated single turbo system.

Vas installed his in a day and he doesn't have a "ton" of mechanical background.

Turbonetics have junk turbos. Find all teh threads, people that have them have continious problems.

Powerlab aren't bad, tons use them, the install is harder to get things to fit but the product is good. It's afew grand more expensive than the boosted kit. It works great for stock block power.

Truthfully, if it's your daily i think you need to walk away from FI. This isn't your stealth that came TT from teh factory. Cars that aren't factory boosted NEVER work as smooth as a car that you add to it. I would never use a non-boosted car that i've boosted as a daily driver. You're asking for issues. I know beacuse i have 3 friends with vr4's and stealth tt's. Even with all their upgrades they have far less problems with their FI systems.
Yes i can agree that BP does seem to have a very easy installation for their kit. Though, that being said, i do not know how PowerLabs put's theirs in since i have not seen the install manual for them.

I need to talk to Vas then . i'm sure i can install it but i like to do all my homework and background before even considering putting one in. Knowledge is power (especially when plunking down 4k+!!!!)

Note: Turbonetics has junk turbos = Turbonetics is junk. Check.

And thank you for being honest about what you would have done in my situation if it was a daily driver for you. I, like many others here im sure, enjoy just being able to put one in and hear that "sound". And again, i'm not going out every saturday night looking for a street race or even looking at all. Though, i just like to have that oooph whenever i would need it when a driver in front of me is going 30 in a 50 and i need to pass them...in style of course

Originally Posted by binder
i'm one of them, but i have a bigger turbo and full built engine so mine is slightly modified.

I don't even have teh angled piece for the air filter like it shows in the kit. Mine makes a 90* bend and goes striaght forward and sits right on ground level. I have drove mine in rain without issues. I've also had this filter on the car since late may with no issues on dirt.

Open filterse up in the engine bay suck up just as much road grime. My vortech filter had to be cleaned once a month and it sits right up in the engine bay. It was horribly dirty all the time.
Hum... i really dont know what to think about that air filter being right there. I have a K&N FIPK on the stealth and it gets dirty after awhile and thats being under to hook not exposed to anything much other than the "norm". I just fear that i would go over a puddle and the car would dip enough for it to suck some water right into the turbo....poof...

Originally Posted by TurboTim
The single and twin turbo systems we build will work on the automatic transmission cars.DE and Rev-up.Just another option.Cars make very good power at low boost and we use a Precision Billet turbo.

http://speedforceracing.com/index.php?productID=1014
Thanks for posting the link there, TurboTim (i like the name) but thats pretty much out of my price range right now.

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Boosted Performance all the way. Low intake temps, no messing (or worries i would think)with AC lines, many different turbo options and lowest cost. done
He did a really great job at putting the turbo kit together. Now only if he could make a little modification for me and i'd be set to get a kit from him in the next few weeks

Originally Posted by Zridder19
Whaaatatattaaaa ppl are being nice to the n00b in the F/I section?!?!?

Times have changed since I was here
Well Zridder... You show respect and you get it in return (unless your a teen then you just act like you know it all and start the drama).

Again, thank you all for your continued help with my questions and concerns!

David
Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

yah.. i dunno what id do lol

fyi also oems have been putting turbos in the engine bay for years, concern about location on engine bay is exagerated..in terms of operating tem the engine works its meaningless...its great to have no issues even in arizona heat.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 08-06-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree, everybody is so nice here! =x lol.

OP, PM me if you need anything
Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 PM
350XTCz

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Man! I keep forgetting about your kit. Not to thread jack...but do you have anyone else doing an install anytime soon? Maybe kind of like Vas did?
Just finished up my install for the Boosted Performance kit. Love it!
Gonna be writing up a review in the near future.

-Dan
Old 08-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Vas_Z33

sicknesss ^^!

edit : I have to update my thread soon!. Ive done a bunch of new things!.. new downpipe with QTP cutout .. also planning of getting a new meth tune... here is a short video taken with the iphone. The sound is just insane.. you cant tell from the iphone ... but Im editing a pretty cool video I put together in HD. stay tuned!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BssTrikTVPA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BssTrikTVPA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Vas_Z33; 08-07-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Dragonbreath

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
sicknesss ^^!

edit : I have to update my thread soon!. Ive done a bunch of new things!.. new downpipe with QTP cutout .. also planning of getting a new meth tune... here is a short video taken with the iphone. The sound is just insane.. you cant tell from the iphone ... but Im editing a pretty cool video I put together in HD. stay tuned!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BssTrikTVPA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BssTrikTVPA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
That sounds absolutely amazing!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Good stuff Vas. I can never get sick of that whistling sound as the turbo spools up, sucking all that air in.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 AM
S12 driver

BP's kit probably has the shortest and smoothest exhaust piping for a single turbo kit. If I have the funds to go turbo (and do it right) I'd probably go with the BP kit. Both BP and PowerLab will make more than enough power to push the stock internal's limit. Another low cost option is the STS rear mounted turbo kit, read through the STS thread if you're interested in that.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350XTCz
Just finished up my install for the Boosted Performance kit. Love it!
Gonna be writing up a review in the near future.

-Dan
Where in Ga are you? I have followed Sasha's kit since day one and would love to see it in person.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Vas_Z33

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Good stuff Vas. I can never get sick of that whistling sound as the turbo spools up, sucking all that air in.
I love it it!! especially with the cutout open it really sounds like an F22 raptor..
Old 08-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Elperuano

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
yah.. i dunno what id do lol

fyi also oems have been putting turbos in the engine bay for years, concern about location on engine bay is exagerated..in terms of operating tem the engine works its meaningless...its great to have no issues even in arizona heat.
niiiiiiiiiiiice! Looks just like mine except for that kick a$$ cosworth which I really want!

OP im running the PowerLab GT35R and its been great. U can see from my thread the install that was done by GreenGoblin. I haven't had a single issue *knock on wood* and I must say that I love this kit. For a stock block its great and works REALLY well if u have an awesome installer should be no problem. No over-heating issues or anything like that at all. Car hits full boost everytime the key ignition is turned to on and I drive it like I stole it

I've also seen BP's single turbo and must say it's very nice and customer service is up to par with his kit if not even better from what ive read!
Definite potential for more power in future..

Those r my opinions

In the end it's up to you and how far ur willing to go and I expect to be reading up on an install thread VERY soon or I think a should be in order after ALL the help and nice folks you've come acrossed here! Im very shocked at the turn for the good this community is starting to make!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM
binder

Yes i can agree that BP does seem to have a very easy installation for their kit. Though, that being said, i do not know how PowerLabs put's theirs in since i have not seen the install manual for them.
there are a couple threads showing a full detailed self install of powerlab. look for jeffie7 . this thread is awsome on the powerlab install.

Hum... i really dont know what to think about that air filter being right there. I have a K&N FIPK on the stealth and it gets dirty after awhile and thats being under to hook not exposed to anything much other than the "norm". I just fear that i would go over a puddle and the car would dip enough for it to suck some water right into the turbo....poof...

Here's a huge misconception because everyone tells these "myth" horror stories. First, you would have to FULLY submerge that filter in water to cause problems. If water splashes onto a filter it doesn't necissarily go striaght inside. It will sit on teh filter media which is oil covered (oil blocks water because it's hydrophobic) and will dry out. if you saturate it then some water may come into the compressor housing. Now you have to relize how fast is that water going to vaporize in a hot compressor housing? Then after it does make it past that it has to go through the piping to the intercooler then into the intake.

water in an intake isn't a problem. people INJECT water into intakes for cooling. On a high build water injection you are injecting 500cc a minute (or higher depending the hp level) of water into the intake. That's a lot more than a splash of water.

I'm telling you this because i get sick of the water into intake ******** that is spewed around the car world. If you make a decision it definitely shouldn't involve worrying about getting a splash of water on the filter of a oil infused filter. Plus the top of the filter is about 10" off the ground on this kit. So you would need to be in about 10" of water to submerge the filter completely. At that point you have more problems than just the water on the filter.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Dragonbreath

^^^ I havent thought about it that way. You learn something new everyday.

Quick Reply: Help with choosing a single turbo kit