Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Help with choosing a single turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
stealthrtt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with choosing a single turbo kit

Hello all 350z drivers! I'm new to the board and also new to the car. I plan on getting one in the coming weeks as my daily driver. I have chosen to post a topic on this forum in order to help me out in what i plan on doing to the 350z once I find one (be it 2004-2007 models). I'm not looking to blow the doors off another car or anything like that. I just want the burst of speed if needed. Like I said, the Z will be my daily driver so no need to always be ready for a race because it's not what I am looking to do.

Anyways, my questions:
- I am looking to get a single turbo for it. Though I've been up and down on this forum looking at those who have already installed one or seen it in person I've never really found any concrete answers to these questions:

1) How much, total (ball park) will it cost to get a APS ST kit these days? I've seen prices range from $4,8000 - $7,000.

2) What is the difference in a "tuner kit" and a "kit"? It seems that "tuner kits" are cheaper to buy than the "kits"?

3) Out of the single turbo manufacturers, which ones have you had the best experience with? APS? Turbonetics (though I hear they are no longer being recommended?)? Power Lab?

4) Does the kit come with everything needed? As in, can i bolt it on without having to change headers, etc on the stock engine? Or is there other parts in the 1k+ range that will also be needed in order to get the single turbo to run out of the box?

5) As I have seen a few people on this forum has done, it seems to be possible to install the turbo kit yourself. I have a hydraulic lift, mig welder, air compressor, etc so I have most (if not all) the tools needed for a job like this. Though my question is somewhat focused on what to do AFTER installing the turbo. Will I need to go to a local dyno and get it turned that way? Does any of the kits have a tuner with them? Or is one needed?

6) I have read a few forum post and they mention a UTEC? What exatly is that and why are some turbo kits needed to use that and others not? To my understanding a UTEC is just an interceptor to your car's engine control module and is able to override defaults in it?

Alright, that's all I have on my mind right now about a single turbo kit for the 350z. Any help would be great so I can plan on what the total cost would be for one.

David
Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forget the rest, and choose the Best. POWERLab GT35R Single Turbo Kit

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/3847...m-special.html

Last edited by cdoxp800; 08-05-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
stealthrtt

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
Forget the rest, and chose the Best. POWERLab GT35R Single Turbo Kit
https://my350z.com/forum/engine/3847...m-special.html
Thanks for the suggestion there, cdoxp800. I sent them a PM

David
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM
bigcloud

First off welcome to my350z! Get your car soon so you can start modifying it. For starters I want to point you to a good thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

This link will provide you with a lot of questions that you may have when trying to go FI. Another option than the kits you listed would be the boosted performance kit. Here is a review of Vas_33 he has the kit and absolutely loves it. Sasha did an awesome job engineering a quality kit. Good luck and a word of advice...search, search, search.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...nd-review.html
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM
stealthrtt

Originally Posted by bigcloud
First off welcome to my350z! Get your car soon so you can start modifying it. For starters I want to point you to a good thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

This link will provide you with a lot of questions that you may have when trying to go FI. Another option than the kits you listed would be the boosted performance kit. Here is a review of Vas_33 he has the kit and absolutely loves it. Sasha did an awesome job engineering a quality kit. Good luck and a word of advice...search, search, search.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...nd-review.html
Thanks for the welcome, bigcloud

Yes, i made sure i read that before i posted. I take it in order for me to know which kit i will need will determine what engine the 350z will have? Does the sticker (where it lists the VIN #) on the car tell what type of engine it will be. Either the DE or HR, correct? Or does that just depend on what model 350z i get? Enthusiast, tour, base?

I currently have a Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo so i'm not really all that new at the turbo concept-only for the 350z i am

However, that is a very well written write up on turbos. It helped shed some light but like with my questions above, didnt answer them all so that is why i posted it here

Again, thanks for the welcome and the link.

David

Last edited by stealthrtt; 08-05-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by stealthrtt
Thanks for the welcome, bigcloud

Yes, i made sure i read that before i posted. I take it in order for me to know which kit i will need will determine what engine the 350z will have? Does the sticker (where it lists the VIN #) on the car tell what type of engine it will be. Either the DE or HR, correct? Or does that just depend on what model 350z i get? Enthusiast, tour, base?

I currently have a Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo so i'm not really all that new at the turbo concept-only for the 350z i am

However, that is a very well written write up on turbos. It helped shed some light but like with my questions above, didnt answer them all so that is why i posted it here

Again, thanks for the welcome and the link.

David
You're welcome stealth... There are three different engines in the Z33:

VQ35DE 03-05
VQ35DE Rev-up 05-06 (not for sure) (oil consumption issues)
VQ35HR 07-08

If I were you I would look for a Z with an HR motor if you want to spend a little more cash. If not then go for the 03-05 DE's. You can't go wrong with those.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM
stealthrtt

Originally Posted by bigcloud
You're welcome stealth... There are three different engines in the Z33:

VQ35DE 03-05
VQ35DE Rev-up 05-06 (not for sure) (oil consumption issues)
VQ35HR 07-08

If I were you I would look for a Z with an HR motor if you want to spend a little more cash. If not then go for the 03-05 DE's. You can't go wrong with those.
Ah ok, so i need to look for something along the 2003-2005 non-rev up. I do not think i can afford a 2007+ model and still have enough to buy a single turbo with it so the HR models are out for me. Looks like DE it is.

When asking a auto dealer or private selling about the Z, what do i need to tell him in order for him to find the DE model number?

David
Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget APS, they are no longer readily available and support is almost non-existent. Also, rumor was they were using Chinese turbos before they stopped making the kits.

Tuner kits do not include ems and fuel options--those are left up to you and imo are often a better choice as most complete kit's ems and fuel are not the best.

Turbonetics is an outdated kit and Powerlab would be your best choice. Or consider twins (Greddy, JWT, GTM, etc.)

Good luck.

Read up on the FI threads in the forums--there is a lot of info.

But plan ahead. I would have gone a different route if I knew what I do now. So it never hurts to wait and plan accordingly to your goals and budget.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 PM
stealthrtt

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Forget APS, they are no longer readily available and support is almost non-existent. Also, rumor was they were using Chinese turbos before they stopped making the kits.

Tuner kits do not include ems and fuel options--those are left up to you and imo are often a better choice as most complete kit's ems and fuel are not the best.

Turbonetics is an outdated kit and Powerlab would be your best choice. Or consider twins (Greddy, JWT, GTM, etc.)

Good luck.

Read up on the FI threads in the forums--there is a lot of info.
Thanks there jonnylaw. I did hear about turbonetics being outdated or just plain unreliable down the road. Though i never heard of APS being that bad? I have read a lot on them and most people seem to favor them? But i did send a PM to to POWERlab to see how much the members discount for their single turbo kit is. Still waiting on that, though.

Since i have a Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo i do not really need another TT for the 350z. The 350z will be my daily driver while the TT will be my "fun" car if i even need to go faster

But plan ahead. I would have gone a different route if I knew what I do now. So it never hurts to wait and plan accordingly to your goals and budget.
I couldnt have said it better myself there. Thats what all these questions are for. So that i can plan ahead and make sure i have enough money for doing all that i would like to do on the Z

David
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
DB350

Ah ok, so i need to look for something along the 2003-2005 non-rev up. I do not think i can afford a 2007+ model and still have enough to buy a single turbo with it so the HR models are out for me. Looks like DE it is.

When asking a auto dealer or private selling about the Z, what do i need to tell him in order for him to find the DE model number?

David
there isn't many (i think 1) turbo options for the hr yet, so that may be out right there, they also may not be as expensive as you think, they can be had for around 15k if you look hard enough. the hr is the superior engine though, with higher hp, torque and redline, so if you did get one you could just get basic n/a mods and when more options come out go from there

to know what engine you have the 2003 - 2005 have the DE, the 2005 anniversary edition has the Rev-up, and the 2007 + have the hr.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PowerLab or SFR Single.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The best thing to do is research. There is a lot of info. here, and many people that have experience with more than one kit.

Just make sure you pick up a manual gearbox Z. As far as I know there is no ST kit out there for the HR yet.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

^ this guy sells a great ST kit
Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
The best thing to do is research. There is a lot of info. here, and many people that have experience with more than one kit.

Just make sure you pick up a manual gearbox Z. As far as I know there is no ST kit out there for the HR yet.
Man! I keep forgetting about your kit. Not to thread jack...but do you have anyone else doing an install anytime soon? Maybe kind of like Vas did?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a used hr. Also, I think there was one single turbo kit for the hr in production, but the company held off on building for a while. So I don't think there are ANY single kits currently in the market.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:12 PM
stealthrtt

Originally Posted by DB350
there isn't many (i think 1) turbo options for the hr yet, so that may be out right there, they also may not be as expensive as you think, they can be had for around 15k if you look hard enough. the hr is the superior engine though, with higher hp, torque and redline, so if you did get one you could just get basic n/a mods and when more options come out go from there to know what engine you have the 2003 - 2005 have the DE, the 2005 anniversary edition has the Rev-up, and the 2007 + have the hr.
Ah ok, gotcha. 2003-2005 are DE with the 2005 Anniversarty being the Revup and anything 2007 have the HR engine. Check.

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
PowerLab or SFR Single.
Wow, SRF = 6k+... thats just too rich for my stomach to bear just for a turbo for the car

Yes, will do on the manual... though i have seen some with both auto/manual... those count or no?

And i have come across your post about the mid mount ST. To me, that would produce less power since its not really close to the inlet of the engine intake? Though i do see that your run graph has 400+hp. I also do like the price of your complete setup. My only concern doing a mid-ST would be road hazards... as in, something sticking out of the road/on the road or flying down the road that could pop under the car and smack the turbo. Maybe a garage bag? Dont know... but it has happened before to me, ha! What about rain and the like? How is the turbo protected from all that since its more "open" to the elements being under the car mid way instaed of up under the hood?

<del>Also, i am planing on lowering the car so would that hurt having the turbo below? From your pictures it looks like the turbo sticks down lower that most of the things under the car? Though, i could be wrong about that so correct me where needed</del> Ok, just read your 27 page write-up on your build... i stand corrected err.. sit rather...

Could you happen to email me the manual that comes with the kit so i can see in more detail how it all goes together?

Originally Posted by stevehl
get a used hr. Also, I think there was one single turbo kit for the hr in production, but the company held off on building for a while. So I don't think there are ANY single kits currently in the market.
Well suck. Thanks for the info there, stevehl. But i thought i needed to find a DE engine since it seems that they are more "modable"? And also just like you said, they do not make ST for the HR (yet) so it would be pointless for me to get a Z with the HR engine if thats the case right now. Besides, i am looking at 16+ for a 2007+ model and thats out of the price range i set in order for me to afford a turbo kit.

Last edited by stealthrtt; 08-05-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Man! I keep forgetting about your kit. Not to thread jack...but do you have anyone else doing an install anytime soon? Maybe kind of like Vas did?
There are two people that just wraped up the installs. All DIY'ers. "binder" (member on here) also has a full kit with the large 6765 turbo and will have some high boost numbers at the end of this month. I am looking forward to this one..

Shipping one more kit out right away, also with the large 67mm turbo.

Could you happen to email me the manual that comes with the kit so i can see in more detail how it all goes together?

PM'd. Also, the kit fits all DE model cars 03-06, including the Rev-up.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 08-05-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
stealthrtt

There are two people that just wraped up the installs. All DIY'ers. "binder" (member on here) also has a full kit with the large 6765 turbo and will have some high boost numbers at the end of this month. I am looking forward to this one..

Shipping one more kit out right away, also with the large 67mm turbo.

PM'd. Also, the kit fits all DE model cars 03-06, including the Rev-up.
Thanks for sending the manual. I'll take a look though it and see how everything looks

Do you have those 2 members that have done the BP ST of yours?

Also, i noticed that the intake air filter is right under the engine to the side under the car. That scars me a little. Reason being is that wouldn't it get really dirty and all from being right there instead of tucked up under the hood more? Would it be possible to get a longer pipe in your kit for achieving this or will there not be enough room to do that?

David

Last edited by stealthrtt; 08-05-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 PM
DB350

Ah ok, gotcha. 2003-2005 are DE with the 2005 Anniversarty being the Revup and anything 2007 have the HR engine. Check.

fuu and the 06 have the rev up i forgot that
Old 08-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Dragonbreath

Single turbo I would go either Boosted Performance or PowerLab. Im not turbo but I have done tons of research. Mostly everyone who has the PowerLab kit is in love, and both the guys who have the Boosted Performance love it lol. From my research I would probably pick Boosted Performance due to the placement of the turbo. The heat is able to escape from the bottom of the car and not stay cooped up in the engine bay.

Quick Reply: Help with choosing a single turbo kit