Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Help with choosing a single turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:41 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragonbreath
^^^ I havent thought about it that way. You learn something new everyday.
ya, when the facts are layed out most people are like "oh ya" but the problem is when someone who is uneducated but has a fast car tells someone "you'll suck water into your intake and kill your motor" the fear of destroying your motor makes people want to believe it. So it's a hard myth to get over.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:49 PM
stealthrtt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
yah.. i dunno what id do lol

fyi also oems have been putting turbos in the engine bay for years, concern about location on engine bay is exagerated..in terms of operating tem the engine works its meaningless...its great to have no issues even in arizona heat.
All well thats good to hear, IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
I agree, everybody is so nice here! =x lol.

OP, PM me if you need anything
Hey Vas! I am sure i will soon once i get the car and kit

Originally Posted by 350XTCz
Just finished up my install for the Boosted Performance kit. Love it!
Gonna be writing up a review in the near future.

-Dan
Hey, Dan. I will be looking to see this write up soon as im sure a lot of others are too.

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
sicknesss ^^!

edit : I have to update my thread soon!. Ive done a bunch of new things!.. new downpipe with QTP cutout .. also planning of getting a new meth tune... here is a short video taken with the iphone. The sound is just insane.. you cant tell from the iphone ... but Im editing a pretty cool video I put together in HD. stay tuned!
Vas, that does sound pretty good. I take it thats with the back seats, windows up thats the way i like... oh sorry, got a song stuck in my head there for a minute... So yeah, windows up, right?

Originally Posted by S12 driver
BP's kit probably has the shortest and smoothest exhaust piping for a single turbo kit. If I have the funds to go turbo (and do it right) I'd probably go with the BP kit. Both BP and PowerLab will make more than enough power to push the stock internal's limit. Another low cost option is the STS rear mounted turbo kit, read through the STS thread if you're interested in that.
Thanks for your input, S12 driver. I have checked out the STS and it looks pretty nice but seems to have lower HP? Also, i can not seem to find a price for the ST kit?

Originally Posted by Elperuano
niiiiiiiiiiiice! Looks just like mine except for that kick a$$ cosworth which I really want!

OP im running the PowerLab GT35R and its been great. U can see from my thread the install that was done by GreenGoblin. I haven't had a single issue *knock on wood* and I must say that I love this kit. For a stock block its great and works REALLY well if u have an awesome installer should be no problem. No over-heating issues or anything like that at all. Car hits full boost everytime the key ignition is turned to on and I drive it like I stole it

I've also seen BP's single turbo and must say it's very nice and customer service is up to par with his kit if not even better from what ive read!
Definite potential for more power in future..

Those r my opinions

In the end it's up to you and how far ur willing to go and I expect to be reading up on an install thread VERY soon or I think a should be in order after ALL the help and nice folks you've come acrossed here! Im very shocked at the turn for the good this community is starting to make!
Glad to hear that you have not had any problems with your ST kit from PowerLabs! And yes, i do plan on posting my build on here since everyone has been so nice to help me out with my questions so far. I'm even thinking about making a video of each step of the build process. Who knows? I'm a visual learner so a video of all this would have been awesome!

Originally Posted by binder
there are a couple threads showing a full detailed self install of powerlab. look for jeffie7 . this thread is awsome on the powerlab install.

Here's a huge misconception because everyone tells these "myth" horror stories. First, you would have to FULLY submerge that filter in water to cause problems. If water splashes onto a filter it doesn't necissarily go striaght inside. It will sit on teh filter media which is oil covered (oil blocks water because it's hydrophobic) and will dry out. if you saturate it then some water may come into the compressor housing. Now you have to relize how fast is that water going to vaporize in a hot compressor housing? Then after it does make it past that it has to go through the piping to the intercooler then into the intake.

water in an intake isn't a problem. people INJECT water into intakes for cooling. On a high build water injection you are injecting 500cc a minute (or higher depending the hp level) of water into the intake. That's a lot more than a splash of water.

I'm telling you this because i get sick of the water into intake ******** that is spewed around the car world. If you make a decision it definitely shouldn't involve worrying about getting a splash of water on the filter of a oil infused filter. Plus the top of the filter is about 10" off the ground on this kit. So you would need to be in about 10" of water to submerge the filter completely. At that point you have more problems than just the water on the filter.
Ah thanks for the insite there binder. I wasent worried about it getting to the engine itself, just the turbo. I figured if water did get inside the turbo it would cause it to rust overtime. But your writeup there does make since in the long run.

David
Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Elperuano
niiiiiiiiiiiice! Looks just like mine except for that kick a$$ cosworth which I really want!
thanks, its kind old pic actually...there is a lot more going on there now, but clean...... in that pic u can see nice "tuck" work and 76mm

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 08-07-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthrtt
Ah thanks for the insite there binder. I wasent worried about it getting to the engine itself, just the turbo. I figured if water did get inside the turbo it would cause it to rust overtime. But your writeup there does make since in the long run.

David
the compressor housing is aluminum, along with intake pipes. Water wont "sit" in the turbo to cause rusting anyways.

Quicksilver, that engine bay looks nice. You said that's a 76 mm turbo? that's huge.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:15 AM
IIQuickSilverII

thanks... yah... i guess ill soon get it to proefis dyno and ...oh i dunno take the waste gate out and see how far it goes lol....
waiting for 2000cc injectors fo the E85

ill have a thread in the very near future
Old 08-08-2010, 06:36 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait for that thread, its been along time coming.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Elperuano

thanks... yah... i guess ill soon get it to proefis dyno and ...oh i dunno take the waste gate out and see how far it goes lol....
waiting for 2000cc injectors fo the E85

In for da kick *** thread!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
I can't wait for that thread, its been along time coming.
+1000 for you and Rude
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

haha i'll believe it when i see it

Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by str8dum1
haha i'll believe it when i see it
i know...lol damm delays
Old 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
stealthrtt

Well speaking of delays it turns out that the 350z i was looking to get at an awesome price sliped through my hands over the weekend with it going to another bidder outside my state (he flew in just to see the car and ended up buying it).

So it looks like it wont be for awhile until i find another good deal low enough for me to budget getting both the car and the ST turbo.

I'll be sure to keep this topic updated though when i do

Thanks again for all the help!

David