Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen Stage 2 Supercharger vs Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 PM
zmedic16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might be talking out of my **** here but the vq38 out of the gtr is just close deck motor. i dont recall anything about sleeves. oh and salute to the soldier. word of advice around here is to read a ton.... thats most of what i do around here.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:38 AM
roger22

Originally Posted by ADMAN
A: They haven't "eaten belts" in a very long time.

Yes, they do, I had the 6 rib belt and they still eat them on the track...POS design...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 AM
BoostedTreeFity

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
Can't start over bro. Your ignorant. Don't come to a site like a know it all when in fact all u know is nada.

***** I NEVER CAME ON HERE LIKE I KNOW IT ALL YOU *********** ARE THE ONES WHO APPARENTLY KNOW EVERY GOD DAMN THING UNDER THE PLANET ABOUT EVERY ENGINE EVER MADE AND APPARENTLY ALSO KNOW WHAT I HAVE AND HAVENT DONE IN MY LIFE, GO **** YOURSELVES ALL YOU POMPUS IGNORANT AROGENT PIECES OF BOTTOM FEEDING ****. There I'm done...**** your mother
Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

damn what the hell is happening here..
Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by BoostedTreeFity
***** I NEVER CAME ON HERE LIKE I KNOW IT ALL YOU *********** ARE THE ONES WHO APPARENTLY KNOW EVERY GOD DAMN THING UNDER THE PLANET ABOUT EVERY ENGINE EVER MADE AND APPARENTLY ALSO KNOW WHAT I HAVE AND HAVENT DONE IN MY LIFE, GO **** YOURSELVES ALL YOU POMPUS IGNORANT AROGENT PIECES OF BOTTOM FEEDING ****. There I'm done...**** your mother
Attached Thumbnails Stillen Stage 2 Supercharger vs Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit-1216210091938.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Soldiers on roids these days?

Dayum!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

a) don't sleeve the motor unless your going for real big power
b) don't go as low as 7.5 compression, the car will drive like **** off boost
c) lay off the drugs, or get laid. or both.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 AM
BoostedTreeFity

a) Shut your mouth no one was talking to you
b) Cut back on the wacking
c) Pull your finger out of your *** and go do something with yourself
Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM
zmedic16

this is what you called flamed.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok this is getting WAAAAAAAY out of hand. Lets start this over shall we? Hello my name is Joe, I am a soldier stationed on Ft Drum, I have been building performance cars since I was 18(sigh 10 years) and have recently gotten a boosted 350Z and am looking to A) Do a nice rebuilt low compression motor. B) Raise my boost a bit. C) Enjoy the car for years to come.

IslandZavage; Thank you for the info, I was unaware the VQ's dont like being sleeved, I've sleeved almost every engine I have rebuild with outstanding power, efficiency, and reliability/durability results. Many of the worlds top performing cars are sleeved from the factory and when race prepped(C5/C6R *drool)

And isnt the VQ38 sleeved? I think I remember comming across a thread on here about it

Lots of us had horrible experience with sleeved engines, they just don't seem to go well with the VQ and head lift seems to happen more often than not. No one really even runs sleeves on road race or street cars anymore due to the stock sleeve engines being able to hold 800whp.

I was going to "O" ring my sleeved engine after it failed but I just gave up on in and now I am just building a stock bore 3.5L hopefully that goes better for me.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 09-11-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
BoostedTreeFity

[QUOTE=Sylvan Lake V35;8651067]Lots of us had horrible experience with sleeved engines, they just don't seem to go well with the VQ and head lift seems to happen more often than not. No one really even runs sleeves on road race or street cars anymore due to the stock sleeve engines being able to hold 800whp.[/QUOTE

Hmmmm interesting, I wonder why the VQ doesnt like being sleeved. And if your running a stock sleeved engine then your still running an engine that has been sleeved.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 AM
BoostedTreeFity

Originally Posted by go-fast
This quote says your "halfway through a complete rebuild" and that makes you a liar if now your saying the machine shop is awaiting your "word".I didn't bash you for your obvious lack of automotive knowledge,but when you contradict yourself and no one points it out it's time for me to post.

i'm sure your more than able to have someone sleeve your motor.....gl with that.
http://www.*********.com/forums/119-...de-blocks.html
Old 09-11-2010, 10:34 AM
BoostedTreeFity

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Lots of us had horrible experience with sleeved engines, they just don't seem to go well with the VQ and head lift seems to happen more often than not. No one really even runs sleeves on road race or street cars anymore due to the stock sleeve engines being able to hold 800whp.

I was going to "O" ring my sleeved engine after it failed but I just gave up on in and now I am just building a stock bore 3.5L hopefully that goes better for me.
I wouldnt suggest fire rings unless your using a cast iron block, thats a trick we use in the Turbo Diesel community when we exceed 50psi
Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm interesting, I wonder why the VQ doesnt like being sleeved. And if your running a stock sleeved engine then your still running an engine that has been sleeved.
Any engine that is aluminum will have some sort of steel sleeve/liner as far as I know. Then engine I am building will have OEM cylinder bores, to be clear the majority of aftermarket sleeved engines seem to have issues however the OEM blocks bored .020 over don't seem to have issues some have even held 800whp. Some of the big power drag cars do seem to use aftermarket sleeved blocks with no issues.

As far as I know there is not a HG with fire rings availible for big bore (100mm) VQs, I did however try a Cometic Phuzion gasket that has an expanding gas filled ring. The OEM HR head gaskets (95.5-96mm) do have a fire ring so they are becoming fairly common in builds now.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 09-11-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:44 AM
BoostedTreeFity

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Any engine that is aluminum will have some sort of steel sleeve/liner as far as I know. Then engine I am building will have OEM cylinder bores, to be clear the majority of aftermarket sleeved engines seem to have issues however the OEM blocks bored .020 over don't seem to have issues some have even held 800whp. Some of the big power drag cars do seem to use aftermarket sleeved blocks with no issues.

As far as I know there is not a HG with fire rings availible for big bore (100mm) VQs, I did however try a Cometic Phuzion gasket that has an expanding gas filled ring. The OEM HR head gaskets (95.5-96mm) do have a fire ring so they are becoming fairly common in builds now.
Cool so you should know the head has to have the chambers machined to accept the ring then right? I have actually seen some "built" motors come in that were pushing upwords of 30psi and wondered why it failed, once the heads came off they stuck the rings in and used them like a crush washer which is not the correct way to use a fire ring kit, there has to be a groove machined into the chambers for the ring to seat into
Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM
BoostedTreeFity

Sylvan may I ask what you are using for studs?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

a) Shut your mouth no one was talking to you
b) Cut back on the wacking
c) Pull your finger out of your *** and go do something with yourself
oooooooooo.....touchy

a) and b) where actually honest comments...................................so was c)
Old 09-11-2010, 02:33 PM
BoostedTreeFity

oooooooooo.....touchy

a) and b) where actually honest comments...................................so was c)
K whatever I'm not gonna bash on you anymore because I love Family Guy, Quagmire is the ****, and I say Giggiddy all the time. Nice ride btw what track were you at?