Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen Supercharger for drifting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Erdem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't that for the 370z? ^^

anyways it's more Vortech than stillen
Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM
bigcloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Erdem
isn't that for the 370z? ^^

anyways it's more Vortech than stillen
You're right it is for the 370z. They haven't retrofitted it onto an HR motor yet. The problem this time is the "carb" legal tune. Uprev is having a hard time coming up with a canned tune for the 370 because of different versions of ECU. I think they finally figured it out, but it took them several revisions to get the right tune. The hardware is top notch, and very well thought out. The tune was the only problem...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the 370Z used a HR motor.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by djamps
I thought the 370Z used a HR motor.
It's the VHR.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 PM
rubabealf

The 370vq uses the vvel system witch is much different than the HR it stands for variable valve event and lift, witch means it can adjust the valve timing and how much the valve Opens, in order for this to work there is no intake cam! I have no idea how it works but its pretty cool I would love to get my hands on one and find out!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubabealf
The 370vq uses the vvel system witch is much different than the HR it stands for variable valve event and lift, witch means it can adjust the valve timing and how much the valve Opens, in order for this to work there is no intake cam! I have no idea how it works but its pretty cool I would love to get my hands on one and find out!
So your saying they have NO INTAKE CAMS so they have two exhaust cams and no intake cams So what is your theory on how they open the intake valves???? There are 4 cams trust me!!

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 10-07-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
usingthejohn

Not to dumb this down, but wouldn't variable valve timing and lift be similar to VTEC, or VVTL-I found in toyotas? And if so, you still need cams to physically open the valves no?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
they fixed the problem with the HR kit. that V3 vortech charger it uses is more than capable.

They may have a larger charger, but they still fail at cooling. Why in the world would somebody use a water/air intercooler system. Even with the larger blower, you are cooling water with ambient air, and then trying to cool the intake charge with water.

You will always have heat soak after a couple of runs. I see guys at the track all the time, showing up with bags of ice to cool down the coolers...I will never understand that.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM
nathanwl2004

Originally Posted by sradenton
If your future goal is only 325whp any fi system will have no problem. If it was my choice and my goal was the same was u. I would buy a vortech, because of the gtm pulley upgrade to keep it from slipping. turbocharger to me would not be smart for drift on a stock block, because for the heat it and torque they make and your going to be at high rpm a lot.

Here are some vids.
shows what you know. the stillen kit makes gobs of heat even simply idling. also the stillen kit is well past it's peek efficiency range at high rpms. very fun to drive on the street because it's massive low end torque, but falls off in the high end quite a bit. most drift cars are turbo or NA, but very few SC cars.

I would think the vortech kit would be the most well suited for drifting because it's predictable, NA like power curve, and high rpm power.

but truly small turbos are really the way to go. fat torque band (which is what breaks traction in the first place) and still make adequate high rpm power to smoke the tires in higher gears while moving sideways, it is prefferable to stay in higher gears when possible because the higher wheel speed is what creates the most smoke and there fore points by the judges
Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
So your saying they have NO INTAKE CAMS so they have two exhaust cams and no intake cams So what is your theory on how they open the intake valves???? There are 4 cams trust me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyubJ...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8P2V...e_gdata_player

Check out the videos i don't have a theory I said I don't know how the system works that's why I would love to get my hands on one to find out how it dose work. The intake valves can change how much they open and for how long! Just imagine the tuning that can be done with the VVEL system!

Anyways, ya I do agree that a turbo would be the best platform, Ball bearing Twin turbos, or a single with the twin scroll design would perferd, but the cost goes thru the roof! Dose any body know of a low boost turbo kit or will haft to be a costom set up?

Last edited by rubabealf; 10-08-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
Not to dumb this down, but wouldn't variable valve timing and lift be similar to VTEC, or VVTL-I found in toyotas? And if so, you still need cams to physically open the valves no?
VTEC, VVTL and nissans NVCS are just the acronyms for the same thing variable valve timing.

Yes there are some sort of mechanics opening and closing the valves on the VVEL system I don't know how it works. the vq's have valve timmimg on the intake side, some cars have it on exhaust cams and some have it on both cams! It only changes when the valve opens I.e. Advance and retard the timing of the cams, that way u can have a smother idle and when u get in
the upper rpm range it changes the timing for more valve over lap so the air can flow better thus helping with low and mid range tq and top end up, and better gas mileage.

I know there are better ways to explain it, best bet is to research online someone must have a better explanation.

Ian getting off of subject, dose anybody know A low boost (4-5psi) turbo kit single or twin that's not going to cost 8 grand and is not eBay crap! Or is a custom turbo set up going to be the only way?

Last edited by rubabealf; 10-07-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 AM
roger22

Spit Wads and Chewing Gum!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 AM
usingthejohn

Originally Posted by rubabealf

Ian getting off of subject, dose anybody know A low boost (4-5psi) turbo kit single or twin that's not going to cost 8 grand and is not eBay crap! Or is a custom turbo set up going to be the only way?
Boosted performance sells a single turbo kit for sub-$6000. Also search the forums for deals on used kits from board members
Old 10-08-2010, 07:32 PM
rubabealf

I Pmed boosted performance to find out what he can do! Waiting response!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM
rubabealf

Boosted performance got back to me they can help me out i might haft to try it out!