Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Brian Crower 4.15L + APS Extreme Turbo Kit Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:53 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I luv stuff like this, good luck with the build!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM
can'tZme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Round two Ashton! I hope everything goes well and good luck. I'm in for some numbers and the dyno day!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:06 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

The AEBS motor has been sitting for 5 years and has been to 3 shops after it left Injected before it got into Ashton's hands. When it was pulled from my car it was running correctly. Again, Ashton did not purchase the AEBS motor from Injected Performance.

Also, the AEBS motor was started and driven on in Ashton's car with the flywheel not installed correctly. What would a 20+ pound flywheel do to the harmonics of the motor/bearings when it is revved to 1000+ rpms and from what I was told was driven on? Whoever installed it didn't check the bolts and they bottomed out on the crank so the flywheel was not flush with the crank. All stroker cranks, that I have seen, are not threaded entirely through like the stock crank.

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ahh that was the AEBS motor from injected that was supposed to be good. I bet ya got a sweet deal on that new motor setup. Much more reliable setup now, so probably better in the long run you didnt go much on that AEBS.

Chris, George from GTM days had this same setup a few years ago. made 855ish, the build thread is still in the shop builds. Thats what the OP can achieve with more parts, so that gives you an idea of what to expect, best case scenario
https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...hp-22-psi.html
Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to be the negative nancy here but are you concerned at all about the sleeves, and their track record with street cars on these forums? It seems to me that for now at least your power goals are easily attainable and that the block may be more than you actually need.

I give you mad props for doing all of that yourself I remember your 6sp swap thread not to long ago.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Alberto- while many have experienced troubles with sleeves, we have a proven track record with them in both race and street cars (including daily drivers). Sleeves should not have this negative-aura or be a concern if installed properly by a competent shop.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I dont know how much you share or dont share on these forums, but I havent seen any shop with a proven track record in sleeves, especially in daily drivers.

IIRC your street car isnt sleeved. Im not concerned with race/drag cars.

edit-the only person I can think of who has sleeves and actually drives his car and has put miles on it is wespak

Last edited by Alberto; 10-06-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ouch, another death.
http://g35driver.com/forums/forced-i...adgaskets.html
I guess as long as the builder has some sort of guarantee in writing, it should be a moot point.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 PM
abushong504

Greg is correct. The original motor that I was going to swap into the car was not purchased directly from Injected. A guy purchased the motor from Injected years ago and then had a tranny added to it and placed into another car. The Nissan techs in another part of KY that installed the clutch/flywheel apparently didn't notice the flywheel have play when they tightened it up. When we took the tranny off of the engine, we were just doing so to see what clutch was installed. We weren't too sure what it exactly was. We never took anything else apart or checked to see if anything was off with the flywheel.

As for the sleeves. I know all about the failure rates with streetable Z's. I have voiced concern about this to Injected. They assured me that a competent shop that knows exactly what they are doing should not have any issues in recent or down the road with the block. This was not just said mouth to mouth either. They didn't just say for a couple thousand miles, they assured me for years down the road. I know this won't convince anyone that failure won't happen, but I do have their word that if something does they will be there to fix the problem. They have never had any issues with any of their motors and want to keep this reputation. They also have no doubt that they will keep it either. I live 10 minutes from Injected and know them all personally. I have confidence in their ability to build and create high horsepower engines with reliability.

I also know that most cars that they build/tune are never uploaded to this forum or to the internet in general. I wish they would put some of the stuff they have on here, it's unbelievable...maybe in time :P

But being local, I have seen many cars come in and out there and am always impressed by what they do.

Either way, I know that with the history on this forum (even recent^) that it is a risky route, but I guess you never know until you try. It would be nice to debunk the current view on sleeved motors. I will truly test its limit. I bought the car in 06 with 300 miles on it and have put 48k miles on it since. There would be a lot more if I didn't have shop/personal time of it sitting on stands (~8 months). It has also been driven very hard. I don't baby it at all! I also plan on taking it to the drag strip multiple times (driving it down there and back!) and maybe some auto-x events.

If anything ever happens, this forum will be the first to know! I appreciate all the concern and looking out. I know people give it to you straight on these forums haha. I am sure I will have some questions down the road. I hope you guys will be willing to help!

Sorry for the long response. I hope there isn't too many grammar errors, it's been a long day lol.

I will keep updating as I go.

This is how the car is currently sitting. Waiting for the 4.3 to be taking out...

In the meantime, I have been wrapping my pillars in suede. I am also going to do the headliner while I am at it!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Keep us updated with everything, and good luck.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 AM
abushong504

I appreciate it man. I definitely will, trust me lol. I've always been inspired by your car Alberto, you need more videos :P
Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Thanks, if all goes well Im picking it up today or tomorrow (was getting fixed from thiefs fawking up my interior/guages/nav/HU), I havent seen it in months and Im gonna rag its a$$
Old 10-08-2010, 04:46 AM
sm33

Sent you a pm about the wiring
Old 10-08-2010, 05:53 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Good Luck Ashton!

I appreciated the class you showed while I was considering buying your Alliance kit and Radiator.

How much of the work are you doing yourself?

I just picked up my G from IP two weeks ago and couldn't be happier....I'll post up my build once they get the dyno graphs to me. (Hint, hint... Hal/Ryan/Greg)
Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

+1 Ashton, on the builds that you don't see. IP most of the time is so busy with builds and customers, its a waiting list just to get in. Can't wait to see this thing. The care and experience that goes into these builds really says a lot about the shop doing the work.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the sweetest Bride seat I have ever seen, to bad you didn't have the matching one are they still available??
Old 10-08-2010, 03:01 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gord I am pretty sure the Vorga is still available.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
abushong504

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments!

eZg, no problem man. I know how it is when looking around for stuff. Was that your blue G that put down 505hp? I am doing a lot of the swap. Will probably put the heads onto the block along with the timing components and oil pans.

IP is always crazy busy! They do their best to fit everybody in. But, they are always trying to help you out. That's for sure.

Thanks for the seat compliment. I am pretty sure that the Vorga Japan is still available! You should get yourself one! I hope to get a matching one down the road.

Goblin, I have been following your build from the get-go. I respect all of your work and what you have done to it. Your skills are amazing man. I can't wait to see the final product. Last I saw it was all primered up, but still looked better than a lot haha.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 PM
abushong504

Small update:

Spent about an hour and a half starting taking the engine/car apart. It was nice to get started back on it but it is definitely going to be a lot of work.

We drained the radiator/windshield wiper fluid. Took the intercooler and whole doghouse off. Got the intake off and fuel lines unhooked. Probably get going on it again Tuesday.

I do have some good news though. I am actually going to have a slightly modded valvetrain. I will have ferrea +0mm valves along with a full ferrea valvetrain (springs, retainers, etc.). I am pretty excited for this.

I am also debating on putting in some BC Stage 3 cams. What do you guys think about this? I haven't researched too much, but what I have seen about them has been good. Let me know all opinions you have on the cams! Thanks guys
Old 10-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by abushong504
Small update:

I do have some good news though. I am actually going to have a slightly modded valvetrain. I will have ferrea +0mm valves along with a full ferrea valvetrain (springs, retainers, etc.). I am pretty excited for this.

I am also debating on putting in some BC Stage 3 cams. What do you guys think about this? I haven't researched too much, but what I have seen about them has been good. Let me know all opinions you have on the cams! Thanks guys
Awesome, you are going to have a monster! I have some other cam ideas for you. Touch base with Dustin when you have a chance.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good to see you came into quite a bit of extra money to finish up the heads. best to do it all at once

Hal uses the 272s on his race car. Headgames loves Kelfords, so it will be interesting to see what IP recommends.

855whp should be easy to surpass with Hal's experience behind your build!

Quick Reply: Brian Crower 4.15L + APS Extreme Turbo Kit Build