Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Pathfinder VQ35DE vs. 350Z/G35 VQ35DE. The thread to end all threads!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM
S12 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some pretty creative stuff from Puerto Rico such as people using modified saw blades for clutch. It's people like GT-ER that will find new ways of doing stuff. If the Vortech bracket won't bolt up, I'm sure machining work is cheaper in PR than in the states, so he might still end up saving money.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-ER
That's a pretty good question...aren't they suppose to ship it them back to Nissan?
I thought so, too, but then I found a guy who was buying them from the dealerships to save them the headache. . . for cheap. I bought one from him.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by S12 driver
I've seen some pretty creative stuff from Puerto Rico such as people using modified saw blades for clutch. It's people like GT-ER that will find new ways of doing stuff. If the Vortech bracket won't bolt up, I'm sure machining work is cheaper in PR than in the states, so he might still end up saving money.
LOL...for some reason we tend to have some weird setups down here...

When I had the GTI everyone in VW Vortex said I was crazy for using the stock ecu software to make relatively big power out of my 1.8T. Some even said I was going to blow in the first day of doing it. I got 425whp out of it and ran it for over a year with ZERO engine issues ( tranny issues however were what made me sick ). A FREE software you can download on the internet is what helped me get there...something a lot of people never bothered seriously playing with.

When I had my Grand Prix everyone said I could not turbo my car for $2500 and make a 12 second run on it. Well for $2500 I ran 12.6@111mph with nearly everything stock. Messing with torque management is what saved my tranny from grenading, also something a lot of people never bothered trying.

Maybe I'll be the very first to use a pathfinder block on this forum? LOL.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
I thought so, too, but then I found a guy who was buying them from the dealerships to save them the headache. . . for cheap. I bought one from him.
Same here... they can be gotten on the cheap if you talk to the right guys. Same with recall parts (G projector headlights, ect)
Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, I don't know why so many people think he shouldn't try this. Regardless if it fails or not, we all learn from it.

Information is so lacking in this community I applaud GT-ER for taking the road less travelled.

Last edited by djamps; 11-03-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by djamps
Also, I don't know why so many people think he shouldn't try this. Regardless if it fails or not, we all learn from it.

Information is so lacking in this community I applaud GT-ER for taking the road less travelled.
Thanks. I'm willing to take SOME risk if it means I can do something different that may help the progression of the G/Z modding future.

I'll check out a dealer to see if they have a cheap *** engine just to mess around with..lol.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:32 PM
rh_334

i looked into this before, i wanted to build a cheap stroker, but the VQ40 and VQ35 deck heights are different, the VQ40 has a significantly taller deckheight, and since this will place the heads higher i dont think VQ35 timing covers will work, and you may want compare rod lengths between the 40 and 35 i never got that far, the timing cover thing was enough to steer me away
Old 11-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I misread i thought you were using a VQ40 from a pathfinder.....VQ35 from a pathfinder I am suddenly alot less interested good luck with it but it is not something I would be interested in, I looked into the VQ 40 and came across a few issues that made it not feasible for me.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 11-03-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:44 PM
rh_334

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I misread i thought you were using a VQ40 from a pathfinder.....VQ35 from a pathfinder I am suddenly alot less interested
wow i did too, i just read pathfinder and assumed, well i guess ignore my previous post
Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 PM
GT-ER

I disassembled both blocks today down to the last bolt. I updated the first post for future reference but here is what I found:

The pathfinder oil dipstick does NOT have to be plugged after removal to be used in the G/Z. The G/Z oil pan is routed in such a way that it makes the hole useless ( the G/Z block has this hole already made, it's just not used ). Just swap oil pans and heads and the oil dipstick issue is gone.

For the moment, the block, crank, rods, and oil pump are pretty much the ONLY things that are the same between the G/Z and pathfinder. EVERYTHING else is different, the heads, cams, cam gears, timing chains, timing covers, intake manifolds, etc.

Tomorrow I plan on taking the block, heads and other parts to a machine shop to have them checked out.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I doubt oil consumption will be an issue on a fully rebuilt engine. If it leaks oil my garage floor should tell me...lol. It's not my daily driver anymore so I'd probably be changing out the oil due to time not in use vs. miles driven. Plus, aren't modern BMW/Mercedes dipstick-less? Regardless....I AM kinda hesitant to do so.

Regardless, as you said, I have the pathfinder cooling mod.
That would depend on who does your machining, blueprinting and assembly. A "built" motor is only as good as the person building it. There are tons of people here, going back years and years, who will tell you a built motor is not a guarantee of anything except the cost to build it (and in some cases, rebuild it (and in some cases, multiple times).

Modern BMW and Mercedes measure oil through their on board diagnostics (and have notorious issues with it too). Those cars are also under warranty
Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I have a pathfinder vq35 block in my car and its been in there since 2007. If anyone searches for this and reads this. Yes it can be done you just swap everything over from the Z vq to the pathfinder block. This also includes the revup heads which can be used on a non revup block.