Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Wideband sensor bung location

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011 | 05:14 PM
ashtrojan2008

Default Wideband sensor bung location

I have searched our forum with no specific answer..
I am switching to a different wideband setup but I'm worried about the sensor location. There are discrepancies on how far downstream to mount the sensor.. Aem states 36", haltech says 12-16", and auto meter says 5-6". 5-6 seems too close but I've always had the auto meter wideband and put it to their specs. 10° from horizontal seems normal to prevent condensation from damaging the sensor. Do bends in the downpipe cause an issue? I was thinking of moving them right before the bottom bend of the down pipe (I'd say about 12" just guessing) so it's a straight path and further from the heat. I just want my haltech dual controller to be as accurate as possible... What do you guys think? If a bend is not an issue then maybe the factory emission sensor bung location?

Any informative answer is appreciated!

Ross
Old 01-20-2011 | 05:45 PM
str8dum1

as long as its pre cat its fine. mine are like 10" from the turbo

consider that most tuners use tail pipe mounted sensors to tune with...
Old 01-20-2011 | 06:40 PM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by str8dum1
as long as its pre cat its fine. mine are like 10" from the turbo

consider that most tuners use tail pipe mounted sensors to tune with...
Yeah I don't trust those tailpipe widebands very much...
No cats here. Thanks man
Old 01-21-2011 | 06:07 AM
str8dum1

you better make sure your tuner is not going off the AFR plot on the dyno then... Most people dont even think about that, and most tuners use the dyno AFR plot to tune against since its right there.
Old 01-21-2011 | 06:40 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by str8dum1
you better make sure your tuner is not going off the AFR plot on the dyno then... Most people dont even think about that, and most tuners use the dyno AFR plot to tune against since its right there.
My experience has always been that they plug in theyre own Sensor in place of one of the factory 02 sensors and plug it into the dyno. We compared the dyno Gauge Vs my 2 Innovate Gauges VS a tail pipe sniffer, the dyno vs my innovates were consistent but the sniffer at times was over 1point higher
i didnt realize people actually use those for tuning
Old 01-21-2011 | 09:17 AM
mx594

Check out the recommendations from Innovate: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...Manual_1.1.pdf

The most important thing is to make sure you mount the sensor at a downward angle, so that any moisture will not pool in the tip of the sensor.

To find the ideal distance from the turbo (or exhaust ports more specifically) you would need to take some measurements with thermocouples at various locations, under conditions which produce the highest EGT's for prolonged periods of time. Of course this is not practical nor really necessary for the DIY tuner. Basically you don't want to overheat the sensor. According to Innovate the sensor hexagon should not exceed 900 F. They sell a heat sink for applications in which the sensor must be placed too close to the exhaust ports because of packaging constraints and such.

Having recently welded on new bungs for my new wideband setup, I also took the time to research the recommendations from AEM, Innovate, PLX, etc. I decided to place the sensors in the test pipe, about 4" from the end. This was a compromise between the recommendations from various different manufacturers. I had to weld new bungs in because my Berk test pipes (for some STUPID reason) have the secondary bungs welded in at a upward angle, which is exactly what you are not supposed to do! Berk should fix that...