Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Greddy Twin Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yes as another trooper did it with the motor in the car......mad props to ya.I still remember the cussing..thrown wrenches..bloody knuckles all to well.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:04 PM
cubs4worldseris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job man! I love your car!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Ztouring04

great thread i am going through the greddy TT process very soon!!

Last edited by Ztouring04; 02-05-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more pics of the whole car!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:39 PM
jruocco

Congrats and great job doing it with the engine in! Got my Greddy TT sitting here, just waiting on the new DW fuel pump.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
litoflow

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Hell yes as another trooper did it with the motor in the car......mad props to ya.I still remember the cussing..thrown wrenches..bloody knuckles all to well.
Hell yeah bro, so many cuts and hurt knuckles. I definitely cursed and kick stuff around. I would get so mad that i would stop and start fresh next day haha. Moments to remember.

Originally Posted by cubs4worldseris
Nice job man! I love your car!!!
Originally Posted by Ztouring04
great thread i am going through the greddy TT process very soon!!
Thank you Touring...Wish you the best of luck and since i am freshly with the kit hit me up if you got questions.

Originally Posted by phunk
more pics of the whole car!!!!
Ask and you shall receive!!! Pics are non turbo cause its snowing out here lol

Originally Posted by jruocco
Congrats and great job doing it with the engine in! Got my Greddy TT sitting here, just waiting on the new DW fuel pump.
Nice!! you have to get open dumps!! is insane how much better it sounds. Loud as hell but i dont mind, i love loud. GL on the install though.

BAD NEWS!!!
Turn on the car yesterday and took it for a spin. I am not tuned yet so i was off boost 99% of my drive around. I just wanted to make sure BOV was working as well as the boost control and boost gauge. At 5psi it pulls really hard. I mean its insane. I am impressed. I know, I know, your going to blow it up blah blah blah but this is not the case. She is running mad rich. at full boost A/F is at 10.8-10.9 so it is pretty rich.

Here is myISSUE at the moment and for all the gurus out here i need help.
First start up i see white smoke coming out of my exhaust. I also see a little bit out of the hood. At first i think is just because i put new gaskets and such and think it just needs to be run a few times and it will all be good to go. So i take her out for a spin. Long story short still smoke. Not a normal little smoke coming out of the exhaust im talking a lot. I stopped, pulled over and check the engine. Still Smoke coming out of the engine as well as the exhaust while on idle, not too much but enough to notice it. Not a good sign starting off. At first i thought it was maybe an oil line feeding pinched somewhere or an oil return line but my last option was turbo seals gone bad. at least that was my last hope. So hoping for the worst and thinking of the best i head back home after chilling with the boys and put the z in the garage for inspection next day.

Today i rolled it without starting it and oil was on the ground. (didn't happened on my first start up). So i think i got a new oil leak somewhere right/? well I go ahead and jack it up on the driver side since it was the side of the smoke coming out off. I have a single exhaust and I am glad i was able to find the problem rather quickly. If i had a dual it would have been a piece of cake since you can see which turbo is blowing smoke specially if you have the AAM Dual exhaust cause it is straight pipe all the way out kind of like a single. We all know that but anyways, I jack the car up and boom! oil coming off the turbo on the driver side just as i thought. So i go ahead inspect both feedlines and returnlines to make sure that is not a secondary cause to oil leaks around but i find nothing, no oil sing at oil leaking through them. So i go back to the turbo, take the clam that bolts the turbine and exhaust flange together and oil just drips like crazy from it and keeps dropping. At first i thought that maybe i didn't clamp it properly but there was so much oil there is no way it would be the clamps fault specially when i know i tight that thing as hard as a rock. Further Inspection and yes it is leaking oil thru the turbo exhaust fins which rounds it to a f'up turbo.

For one side i am happy that is only just a turbo problem and not something else that could have been worse, but at the same time how can you sell someone a turbo and sell it as if in perfect condition and not have the ballz to tell me the turbo is blown? The owner claims the turbo was in perfect conditions and mentioned to me that he made on his 03 or 04 watever 367 to the wheels. I dont give a flying hell about how much hp he made, oil doesn't affect the performance of a turbo neither increases it, all oil does it cools it down and if applied with an oil cooler it just gives a little bit of more life to the turbo nothing else. You can still make power with blown seals spitting out turbo and causing the engine to blow up faster if oil starvation occurs but please correct me if i am wrong since i am no boost guru!.

All i can think of in a way is my fault since i had the money to buy a full new kit and decided to go the cheap way and buy it used thinking it was in good condition until now that i find it broke after running it for the first time. So shame on me for buying a used kit but i from now on i will never buy anything used.

Any Suggestions?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no big deal, send it in for repair.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Pull both and have them sent out and rebuilt.

you could upgrade the internals to 20g 'ish proportions.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 PM
litoflow

How much do you guys think it would cost?

Cux, do have any idea how much it would cost me to do the internals to 20g's ? That sounds interesting
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd keep the 18g's with the stock motor. They make plenty of power and from my limited personal experience with the 20g's on De's......they are laggy.

There are a whole a bunch of places that will rebuild 18g's.....just call around.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 PM
litoflow

^^I just found couple threads i can also rebuild it myself. So that can be an option. If i do go the do it yourself route I'll be buying a legit kit. I will also be shopping around see what prices i get.

I got a question.

Maybe since the clamp wasn't tight enough making good seal of the turbo turbine and the exhaust flange together be the cause of oil leaking through it?

edit: never mind, vband on the exhaust housing shouldnt have **** to do with bearings and seals.

Last edited by litoflow; 02-08-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM
litoflow

Seems like this can be a route. Check the link Below, let me know what you think.

http://gpopshop.com/products-page/re...o-rebuild-kit/
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by litoflow
Hi Everyone, I purchased a used Gredy TT from a local friend

Manny
he's your friend so I'm sure he'll work something out with you, btw car looks real good...
Old 02-08-2011, 08:52 PM
nyqueenz

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Ive got a catch can but its the vented type. It is the injected performance can

I installed it per the instructions given. Mine goes from the pass valve cover to the drivers side. I had to cap off two ports in the process.

wow someone copied me... copy kat
Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good job so far bro! good luck with the rest of the install. can't wait it to see it in spring
Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
wow someone copied me... copy kat

I posted in your thread. I believe I had already Pc'ed mine the time you posted yours. Mine has black Cosworth lettering. My red is translucent.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM
jruocco

I think S&R has a billet compressor wheel upgrade for the greddy also, might want to look into that
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Manny I cannot for the life of me get over how far your car has come. Its a whole different animal. Awesome work!!!

Aweomse complete job and hope you get your issue resolved. Keep it up!

Chris
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
no big deal, send it in for repair.
I agree with str8dum. Don't let this issue sour you from used stuff forever. If a problem with the kit incinerated your engine which led to a fire that was caused just a few hundred dollars short of a write-off in damage, then I would ban all used items for eternity! This sounds like a big PitA which sucks, but it probably seems worse right now because your hands are still bloody from all that work.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
litoflow

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
good job so far bro! good luck with the rest of the install. can't wait it to see it in spring
Thanks Steve! It sure will be fun once Jas gets it tune and everything is good to go. I can't wait for spring myself.

Originally Posted by jruocco
I think S&R has a billet compressor wheel upgrade for the greddy also, might want to look into that
I'll give them a call and get some quotes. Thanks for the info Ruocco.

Originally Posted by NA&CH
Manny I cannot for the life of me get over how far your car has come. Its a whole different animal. Awesome work!!!

Aweomse complete job and hope you get your issue resolved. Keep it up!

Chris
Thank you Chris. The car has come a long way and I am very happy with it. I still got a couple more things to add, just waiting on the weather to get better ahaha. MODs never end.

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
I agree with str8dum. Don't let this issue sour you from used stuff forever. If a problem with the kit incinerated your engine which led to a fire that was caused just a few hundred dollars short of a write-off in damage, then I would ban all used items for eternity! This sounds like a big PitA which sucks, but it probably seems worse right now because your hands are still bloody from all that work.
Yeah you are right. It's not a big deal but it blows to take the driver side off and get it all out of there to grab the turbo. It will definitely add a couple more scratches and bloody knuckles all over again hahah, but at least this time i know the flow. I wasn't expecting the kit to be perfect or the install to be perfect but at least I am proud that is not my mistake but a part f'up.

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I'd keep the 18g's with the stock motor. They make plenty of power and from my limited personal experience with the 20g's on De's......they are laggy.

There are a whole a bunch of places that will rebuild 18g's.....just call around.
I called a couple shops today and will continue tomorrow. I'm trying to get the most reputable shops out there even if i have to ship it to cali. I am keeping the 18g's with the stock motor though. I think it is more than enough for what i will be using it for so no need for the 20g's. Snap i was at 5psi and on 3rd gear on the highway it looses traction and spins all over. So yeah 18g's are enough.

Quick Reply: My Greddy Twin Turbo Install