Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Greddy Twin Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 PM
litoflow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Greddy Twin Turbo Install

Hi Everyone, I purchased a used Gredy TT from a local friend and couple days ago with bloody knuckles and scratched arms and frozen fingers, my friends and I finished the installed. So I decided to share my experience with you all, a plan on building the engine may come next summer but for now i want to be stock internalsinternals until i blow it, not that i want to do so but i know the possibility is always there. I want to get a tune at either 8psi or 9psi, but most likely 9. Anyways below you got the list of items i purchased and installed. I didn't took too many pictures since it was 15 to 25 degrees in the garage and I spent more time taking care of the fire to keep the friends and I warm than pictures but i did manage to get a couple...

Uprev Osiris Tune (JDSMotoring doing the work once weather clears)
HPX MAF Sensor
Greddy TT 18G
*MD Lower Plenum
*MD Plenum Spacer 5/16
*DW 550cc Injectors
*HKS BOV with HKS Round Type Fin (Best Sound Option. Might get Tial later on)
*SVRT Open Dumps
*Tial 44mm Wastegates
*Greddy Oil Pan
*Greddy Intercooler
*Greddy Oil Catchcan
*Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
*Hallman Manual Boost Controller
*Custom 3" Downpipes

**Other Supporting Mods and what not..
*ACT Stage 2 Clutch *rated at 550hp (we'll see about that)
*ACT Streetlight Flywheel (16lbs)
*Innovative A/F Gauge
*Automotive Boost Gauge (Cheap until i build the engine)
*Greddy Oil Filter (if it helps)
*Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil
*OBX Ypipe
*AAM 3" Single Exhaust
*Custom Oil Cooler from Jeffie's DIY Thread( not installed yet)

Things I need to buy within 2 months to kill worries..lol
*Ditch out my Welded Diff and get 2 way LSD. (Drifting)
*DSS Level 2 Axels

Yes, I had the ballZ to install the TT Kit without pulling the engine. With that being said, when the gurus out here mentioned it all over the forum, "PULL THE ENGINE, IT MAKES YOUR LIFE EASIER", they freaking meant it!!! Anyways on with the nightmares and bloody knuckles...

Strut Bar Off
Intake Pipe/Filter OFF
Sensors off
A/C Heat Taped/Wrapped
Coolant Line Disconnected
Driver Side Turbo Manifold Installed
Driver Side Turbo Mounted

Power Steering Line shorten and Cooler hidden in the wheel well facing forward so still gets air.
Passenger Side Turbo Mounted ( What a B**** to do, had to buy tools)
Water Pipe Off, Radiator Hose off, Coolant line off
Cables and Harness Heat Taped/Wrapped
Washer Fluid Tank (Getting thrown in the garbage, I don't use it)
Radiator Reservoir Tank substituted by Monster Can(Cuban move right there lol)

I was missing the pipe that goes from the Intercooler to the pipe that holds the BOV then meets up with the MAF Sensor and so on so i had to use this weird pipe that you see int he picture below. Thanks God i Got clearance with the tires. I Might not be able to run 45 sidewall thats for sure.
Intercooler pipes routed
Injectors Installed
HKS BOV Installed
Kept 1 Horn.. lol
Power Steering Hidden as mentioned before

Greddy Oil Pan Installed

Hallman Manual Boost Controller Installed
Water Pipe Installed
Air Filter Installed

Driver Side 3" Custom Downpipe Installed
Open Dumps Installed and Wastegates
Bent the Downpipe Support bracket so it wont scrape

The picture below was taken before I was done on the passenger side. I Heat tape twice (just in case) the harness cable and wrapped both Open Dumps with heat wrap and change A/F Sensor to the Driver side.
Open Dumps Installed
Passenger Side 3" Custom Downpipe Installed
Bent the Downpipe Support bracket as well

Strut bar on
Vacuum Lines routed
Coolant Line Connected and the rest of the sensors
Test Fit of the Greddy Oil Catchcan

Front Bumper on
Hood on

Changed Redbull can for Monster can for my radiator reservoir tank :P
Took all little brackets and clips not needed.

First Start up worked like a Champ, she turn on beast mode. 5 minutes later Oil Everywhere in the floor. The Driver Side Oil Feed line was bleeding oil like no tomorrow. I started to tighten it and the main fitting connected to the block snapped and messed up 2 turns of the thread inside the block and the fitting itself got damaged as well. It wasn't tighten correctly and thanks God it happened on the first start up and i catch it because it would have been bad news at a race/drift event or normal driving. I literally got so mad at it, turned off the lights/fire, took a shower and went to sleep (2am). lol. Woke up next morning with a fresh mind, grabbed the tap kit and got to work. Took off the coolant line running through the oil filter to make it easier to work on, tapped the block and re-threaded the oil line fitting as well and started hooking up the fittings from scratch. Long story short everything got put back together smoothly and had no problems from there. Added oil, coolant and started the z and no leaks whatsoever. I let her warm up and run for a bit just to make sure things were working fine. I didn't rev it up or nothing since i still needs to get tune. Now I am just waiting on the weather to clear up and be nice out so i can plow 4 Feet of snow on 100 feet long driveway. I hope to have it tune before March/April so i can go to the upcoming Drift Events.

I will update the thread once i have gotten a tune and will post Dyno Chits and numbers

Final Product

Please feel free to comment on my thread and thanks for checking it out.

Manny

Last edited by litoflow; 02-06-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 PM
usingthejohn

Congrats!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:43 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job Manny. I use to have the greddy twins in the day. after putting my car on the lift and seeing how hard it was, i sold it to buy my wheels. So props to you. I can't imagine the headaches.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 PM
litoflow

@ Usingthejohn... Thanks

Andrew. It honestly would not have been that bad if we had more space in our engine bay. Its a super Tight Fit. Believe me when i say it. This people weren't messing around when they said pull the engine out. I'm hardheaded so i go against everyone and everything and decided to do it without pulling the engine. I had to do some weird hand moves to get it on haha.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:46 PM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry this is not related, but do you have more pics of your headlights? If you painted your lens housing black, and installed halos, does it still shine through the sides?

Sick car btw, are you selling the ings bumper? lol
Old 02-05-2011, 04:49 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks very good, good job on the install with the motor in the car. I can imagine the bloody knuckles.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:50 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Ive got a spare of the pipe youre missing

https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...s-filters.html

And you should also pick up one of these:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-and-tube.html

GJ on the doing the install yourself. We pulled the engine for mine so the worst part of the install was putting the downpipes on after the engine was in the car.

I take it you didnt install the injectors yet?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 AM
03 Z33 TT

Congrats on the engine-in install! I put the Greddy TT on my car w/o pulling the engine as well. You definitely learn how to move your hands in ways you never knew possible, as well as using a 14mm wrench in ways a wrench was never meant to be used!

I'm glad your kit was relatively complete, I bought mine used for $500 (hella cheap), but it only came with manifolds, turbos, the DP adapter and wastegates. Turbos and WG's had to get rebuilt and I had to source out my own intercooler and piping = (

Looks great though, I like the open dumps!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 AM
350zDreamZ

awesome job dude!...i say cut out the plastic grill and show them braces or put back on the INGS front and that thing will be screaming aggressive!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

props for doing the install!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 AM
The_Laughing_Man

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zDreamZ
awesome job dude!...i say cut out the plastic grill and show them braces or put back on the INGS front and that thing will be screaming aggressive!
Awesome install and I second the statement above! Props for doing it with the engine in.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:26 AM
litoflow

Originally Posted by stevehl
sorry this is not related, but do you have more pics of your headlights? If you painted your lens housing black, and installed halos, does it still shine through the sides?

Sick car btw, are you selling the ings bumper? lol
Thank you Steve, I did painted my lens housing black and installed STI Clear lenses and HALOS. It does shine thru the sides and on top. Check the pic below.

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Looks very good, good job on the install with the motor in the car. I can imagine the bloody knuckles.
Thank you Green..Bloody knuckles indeed. Its incredible how tight of a space it is and how many stupid clips around the engine bay that i cut myself with. I learned from my experience, next time engine is out.

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Ive got a spare of the pipe youre missing

https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...s-filters.html

And you should also pick up one of these:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-and-tube.html

GJ on the doing the install yourself. We pulled the engine for mine so the worst part of the install was putting the downpipes on after the engine was in the car.

I take it you didnt install the injectors yet?
You do got the pipe i need (you got PM)and yes i was looking for a maf tube like that cause i dont trust the plastic either. I modify mine, i cut the square plastic part of it and made it round so it was super easy to clip it with my clamps. I should take a picture and show you how i did it. and yes the injectors are installed already. My boy Fation came over to help and while i was out getting food he did the work on the injectors and by the time i came back it was all done so he didnt take any pictures. I should have mentioned it to him.

Originally Posted by 03 Z33 TT
Congrats on the engine-in install! I put the Greddy TT on my car w/o pulling the engine as well. You definitely learn how to move your hands in ways you never knew possible, as well as using a 14mm wrench in ways a wrench was never meant to be used!

I'm glad your kit was relatively complete, I bought mine used for $500 (hella cheap), but it only came with manifolds, turbos, the DP adapter and wastegates. Turbos and WG's had to get rebuilt and I had to source out my own intercooler and piping = (

Looks great though, I like the open dumps!
Hahah Thanks man, i Feel you on missing parts. mine was only missing couple little things and they were super easy to find. At the beginning it took me couple hours trying to figure out one bolt. it was always one bolt that pissed me off. One bolt i couldnt get to putting the manifolds, one bolt i couldnt get to hooking up the turbos to the manifold lol, it always was one damn bolt and on both sides too. But now i know how to tight them B* lol.

Originally Posted by 350zDreamZ

Thank you Deams. I did thought of cutting out the plastic grill but my z is so low that if my hood is closed and you pass really close to the z around it you wont be able to see the intercooler, you will have to bend over. I kind of do like the slipper look, until i hit boost and open dumps show off. The INGS front wont fit. To fit it i would need to cut where the grill is all around and i would definitely need to paint it since there was a lot that needed to be cut so i stood away from it for now. Maybe down the road i might do something.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hood is so sick. Ill probly be copying it come spring yep!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 AM
litoflow

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
props for doing the install!
Thank you Vas,

Originally Posted by boosted806
Awesome install and I second the statement above! Props for doing it with the engine in.

Thank you Boosted.

Now i know how hard it is to do it with the engine in and i definitely respect those who have done it like me.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 AM
litoflow

@ 0jiggy0 Thanks for the props! and yeah man go ahead. I love the hood myself and now more because I can see the shinny intercooler piping and air filter thru it haha
Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 AM
krivera6950

when installing the turbo manifolds did you have to remove engine from mounts to get fitment, asking because im planning on doing the same install
Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

The oem maf tube has gotten me stuck a few times. Thats why I replaced it and used tbolt clamps all over my kit. They were not too expensive for that peace of mind you get. I just dont trust worm gear clamps.

surely the ings will fit with the greddy ic. Doesnt Agallardo have that combo? didnt sharif's old z run that same combo?

how do you plan routing your catch can? passenger side between VC and plenum?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:10 AM
litoflow

Originally Posted by krivera6950
when installing the turbo manifolds did you have to remove engine from mounts to get fitment, asking because im planning on doing the same install
No you don't. Studs get moved from OEM spec to Greddy's Instruction and it actually gives you somewhat a bit of room to play with it. I bolted most of my bolts from up top and coming from the bottom on both sides. Take off your steering knuckle, your wheels, your starter, move the fuel line on the clips one up, take off the coolant line like i did in the picture i posted and the waterline completely and move as many wires carefully as you can to make things fit. Its a tight fit but is doable. GL on the install and ask me anything if you need too.

Originally Posted by Cux350z
The oem maf tube has gotten me stuck a few times. Thats why I replaced it and used tbolt clamps all over my kit. They were not too expensive for that peace of mind you get. I just dont trust worm gear clamps.

surely the ings will fit with the greddy ic. Doesnt Agallardo have that combo? didnt sharif's old z run that same combo?

how do you plan routing your catch can? passenger side between VC and plenum?
I think they had the same combo, but my INGS front bumper even though it had really good fitment wasnt original and without the intercooler it was already hitting on my power steering cooler. the piece of the grill goes all the way back, too long so i would have to cut it almost in half to make it fit. I like the OEM look for now, maybe down the road i'll hook something different. I am always changing my car's look anyways.

I am actually making a custom bracket so i can mounted where the clips holding the waterline that meets with the coolant line was at, between the cams covers. I want to mounted there so the Greddy on it shows off lol.. idk

Do you have one? If so would you mind posting a picture how u routed yours by any chance?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 AM
krivera6950

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna be doing it sometime next month and just gathering all info necessary for the Install
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Ive got a catch can but its the vented type. It is the injected performance can

I installed it per the instructions given. Mine goes from the pass valve cover to the drivers side. I had to cap off two ports in the process.

Name:  IMG_2115.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  140.5 KB

Quick Reply: My Greddy Twin Turbo Install